Asus P8Z77-I + Turtle Beach Z6a = USB sound card?

rlj89

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hey everyone

First of all - thank you for reading this.

I'm doing a mini-ITX build with the ASUS P8Z77-I deluxe MOBO (Realtek ALC898). As for headset I've decided on the Turtle Beach Z6a, which has a total of 8 speakers (2x Front, surround, center and subwoofer).

I was watching linus tech tips on youtube and he said to get an external USB sound card with this motherboard.

so do I need to get a USB sound card to fully enjoy the 5.1 true surround sound that the Turtle Beach has to offer? If yes - what am I looking for?

Thanks!

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Let me begin and say no to that headset. The sound is not that great, and it's definitely not true 5.1 surround sound. If you really want to experience surround sound, look into the Audio-Technica AD700, or more specifically, open headphones with good sound stage. Definitely good for music (conditionally), and gaming.

rlj89

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
It's twice the prize in my country though...

Seeing as I already have a pair of Sennheiser headphones, a set of Denon earplugs and some bowers & wilkins speakers I don't really want to throw anymore money into sound. I'm still a student after all.

Lets say the Z6a's really are as bad as you claim. Are there any alternatives which fall into the same price level?

If not - I would really like an answer to my initial question.

Thanks for the reply!