Sign in with
Your question

Static Crackling Speakers

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2012 9:34:52 PM

Hey guys,

I've just recently build my first computer and have run into an issue; my new speakers are crackling something rotten. I've tried everything i can find in past threads so this is a list of everything I've done:

I already returned a set to the shop and got a replacement, both sets crackle identically.
Headphones work fine, i've tested the speakers in the front and back speaker ports with the wires running down the back with power cables and again completely separated from any power cables.
I've just tried wriggling all the cables inside and out of the case about and even switched off my wifi card through the device manager but nothing has changed the crackling.
Tried the speakers on my laptop, they worked perfectly fine.

They crackle even with no sound output (they dont have their own volume control). However the crackling starts on windows boot up and changes depending on what happens on my desktop for instance: selecting games in steam makes a sharp crackle whereas dragging a selection box on my desktop wallpaper makes a changing tone phasor sounding noise.

Tried so much so am started to get a bit frustrated; for reference im using on board sound (VIA HD Sound Deck) on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard; the speakers are HP 2.0 Multimedia Speakers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FPN20Q/ref=asc_df_B004FP...).

Thanks in advance!
October 11, 2012 9:43:56 PM

Are the sound driver supdated?

Do you have multiple different sources of sound installed?

Go to the hardware manager and try disabling some devices under audio and see if the problem goes away when you disable any of them.
October 11, 2012 9:53:06 PM

As far as I can tell the Sound Driver for VIA is the most up to date one.
Only source of sound is the on board and the only peripheral is these speakers.
Under Device Manager i have NVidia High Definition Sound and VIA High Definition Sound, disabling NVidia does nothing. Disabling VIA stops the sound but the crackling remains.
Related resources
October 12, 2012 12:16:46 AM

If you tried the same speakers on a different PC where they worked

AND

You tried a different pair of speakers on the same PC where they didn't work

AND

You looked through and tried disabling various sound devices in the device manager and that did nothing.

Then

We could be heading toward a diagnosis of bad sound port and by extension bad motherboard.

You could try reinstalling Windows. If there is something weird inside Windows that is playing a static-y sound all the time that would probably get rid of it. It would be incredibly difficult to try to rule out everything possibly playing sound piecemeal one at a time, though.

Just to verify, it does the same thing even when absolutely nothing is open on the PC? No browser tabs or programs or anything, I mean.
October 13, 2012 3:16:45 PM

Yeah, with nothing open at all the same static is there.
I think it could very well be windows, the changing pitch of the sounds when i press certain things that don't have a sound indicts that it must be something being amplified from the software?
October 13, 2012 3:56:53 PM

It might have to do with Windows, yes, that is why I suspected it also.
!