Sign in with
Your question

How is the cpu related to memory and graphics?

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2012 11:08:38 PM

when reading up on ivy bridge and sandy bridge it mentioned that ivy bridge makes use of the PCIe 3.0. So does that mean that sandy bridge wouldn't allow PCIe 3.0?

The same thing for ram. They say that some cpus "support" specific memory frequencies, so does that mean i can't use 1600 mhz when my cpu supports up to 1333 mhz?

And this begs the question, as i don't have much of a computer background, how is the cpu related to the graphics card, and its slot, and the memory frequency you are using?
October 11, 2012 11:33:21 PM

is it against the rules to bump a thread?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 12:07:54 AM

Best to wait until at least one day passes probably.
~
As of right now PCIe 3.0 doesn't do much to enhance card performance, but higher bandwidth is generally a good thing. Especially if new cards show up that can utilize it well.
PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible, I think. Sandy bridge will can use those cards, just not with PCIe 3.0 bandwidth
The motherboard and chipsets can provide ways to get higher mhz for your ram. Right now though higher ram speed than 1333 only effects Trinity APU's GPU in any dramatic way.
AFAIK
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 12:11:12 AM

NoUserBar said:
Best to wait until at least one day passes probably.
~
As of right now PCIe 3.0 doesn't do much to enhance card performance, but higher bandwidth is generally a good thing. Especially if new cards show up that can utilize it well.
PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible, I think. Sandy bridge will can use those cards, just not with PCIe 3.0 bandwidth
The motherboard and chipsets can provide ways to get higher mhz for your ram. Right now though higher ram speed than 1333 only effects Trinity APU's GPU in any dramatic way.
AFAIK

i know ram speed isn't that big of a deal, but the whole thing about "future proofing". might as well
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 12:23:05 AM

Well ddr4 has been certified. So ram speeds for ddr3 mean even less for future proofing. haha
(ddr4 isn't available to use or buy yet, cpus don't cover it either yet)

But you can get 1600 mhz or maybe more, for sandy bridge and ivy I believe.
m
l
!