Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Wll a Radeon 7850 be safe to run on a 460w PSU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 15, 2012 3:43:27 PM

The title really says it all. I have a 460w PSU in my computer and I want to purchase a 7850, but I want to make sure it will have enough power.
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 2:56:06 AM

dragonfire321123 said:
The title really says it all. I have a 460w PSU in my computer and I want to purchase a 7850, but I want to make sure it will have enough power.


Even though AMD recomends a 500w PSU doesn't always has to be that way. What to look for in PSU's are the brand and how many amps are on the 12v rail. So if you could give us the brand.

Then the amps on the 12v rail. You can find this info on a sticker that is on your PSU. The numbers you are looking for should look something like this 3.3v = 13a + 5v = 14a + 12v = 16a.

What I need is the 12v one or just copy all of them down and relist them here. The new AMD 7xxx series card require less power than the 6xxx series. So chances are that PSU will work.

Get the info and I will get the answer. Sounds like a good trade. Just a little humor. The PSU brands that are good are Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX for starters. There are a lot more.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 16, 2012 11:28:20 PM

DM186 said:
Even though AMD recomends a 500w PSU doesn't always has to be that way. What to look for in PSU's are the brand and how many amps are on the 12v rail. So if you could give us the brand.

Then the amps on the 12v rail. You can find this info on a sticker that is on your PSU. The numbers you are looking for should look something like this 3.3v = 13a + 5v = 14a + 12v = 16a.

What I need is the 12v one or just copy all of them down and relist them here. The new AMD 7xxx series card require less power than the 6xxx series. So chances are that PSU will work.

Get the info and I will get the answer. Sounds like a good trade. Just a little humor. The PSU brands that are good are Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX for starters. There are a lot more.



OK here are all the numbers that were on the PSU.

+12VA---18A +12VB---16A
+12VC---8A +3.3V---17A
+5V---25A -12V---.3A
+5V AND 3.3 shall not exceed 142 watts.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 11:46:47 PM

This is cool you will not need to get a new PSU to run the 7850. The 6850 runs on load 163w and the new 7850 uses less then it older brother. You have a total 408w on your 12v rail.

More than enough to run the 7850 with out any problem. And thanks for getting that for me.
Share
April 16, 2012 11:52:50 PM

Best answer selected by dragonfire321123.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:02:36 AM

DM186 said:
This is cool you will not need to get a new PSU to run the 7850. The 6850 runs on load 163w and the new 7850 uses less then it older brother. You have a total 408w on your 12v rail.

More than enough to run the 7850 with out any problem. And thanks for getting that for me.


Thanks man! I'm glad you could help!
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 2:32:00 AM

You are very welcome glad to help.
m
0
l
May 16, 2012 3:54:31 PM

I have a Gigabyte Superb 550P PSU and I've been using this on my Radeon 4850 for years without problems so far. Would this be safe if I upgrade to a 7850? Here's the review for the PSU

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Gigabyte-Superb-...

Note that this PSU is actually 450w instead of the 550w that the box said. :pfff: 
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 2:48:31 AM

reidhershl said:
I have a Gigabyte Superb 550P PSU and I've been using this on my Radeon 4850 for years without problems so far. Would this be safe if I upgrade to a 7850? Here's the review for the PSU

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Gigabyte-Superb-...

Note that this PSU is actually 450w instead of the 550w that the box said. :pfff: 


Since you said for years there is the problem. It would run the 7850 but I would not want to spend that kind of money and chance it on a PSU and being as old as it is.

That PSU would go good with a hand me down rig or beginers into the gaming world but to run high end cards I would say don't do it and good luck to you.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 9:37:45 PM

Hi guys, sorry to barge in, but I was also planning to get the 7850 (maybe sapphire) and I have these specs on my PSU

IN 230V 5A 50hz

OUT
+3.3V : 25A
+5V : 20A
+12V1 : 18A
+12V2 : 18A
-12V : 0.8A
+5VSB : 2A
maximum 600W

could I run it? I have 2 500gb hard disks and a dvd recorder. it's a new system but I'm currently running an XFX radeon hd 4890 1gb (which I've been told consumes considerably more power than the 7850) with no issues whatsoever.

what do you think? could I get the 7850 and NOT change the PSU?

thanks in advance!!
m
0
l
!