Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help finding right components

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2012 11:34:31 PM

Hey, so I'm stuck with a bit of a conundrum at the moment. I know enough about a computer to build one, but not enough to chose the best components for my price range. I have a list of the price range that I'd like you to stay around.

Motherboard: $250
Graphics card: $250
Monitor: $250
Power supply: $100
RAM: $125 for 16GB
Tower: ????
SSD/HDD: $100

So yeah...
again don't be afraid to go a little bit above or below the prices if you feel necessary.
I'm going t be using the machine for mainly 3d modelling and animating with blender and compositing (and effects) with after effects CS6.

More about : finding components

October 11, 2012 11:36:22 PM

By the way i'm located in southern Ontario, and if you don't know already the Canadian dollar is about the same as the American dollar. If you could please try and mae sure that the parts are available in my area that would be great! Thanks
m
l
October 11, 2012 11:38:43 PM

I already chose a CPU it's the Intel Core i7 3930K. Please make sure the components are compatible with the processor. Again thanks in advance!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 12, 2012 12:05:22 AM

here you go:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/k3Dk
feel free to get a amd 7870 or 7950 if the gtx 670 is not in your budget
October 12, 2012 12:37:43 AM

Thanks so much man! I'm not quite sure that the motherboard is quite in my budget. Is there another that you would recommend, or is that one the only one that's compatible? Does the motherboard make a difference in performance?
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:43:34 AM

Yes it can sometimes. But getting an $130-$170 equivalent board would not mean much difference for you I think..
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:47:22 AM

What do you mean exactly?
How would it affect performance?
(don't know anything about motherboards)
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:49:02 AM

NoUserBar said:
Yes it can sometimes. But getting an $130-$170 equivalent board would not mean much difference for you I think..

How would it make a difference?
What would the changes be in performance?
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:51:07 AM

Should I buy the more expensive motherboard and spend less on the GPU or vice-versa?
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:58:09 AM

Well it depends on what you want to do. That motherboard he chose for you supports up to 64gb of ram, and 3 sli slots for graphics cards, and high speed OC ram.

Other boards will only have 2 slots that are sli worthy, or just one for a single graphic card. Some also support slower ram, and less ram. That sort of thing. Also some boards are of better quality than other boards. With different capacitors etc

If you are curious about the board you can google the motherboard's name and socket with the word review after it. Works for me. (if someone reviewed that motherboard.

Also different motherboard brands have different software for it. Different bios that sets things up, controls ram speed etc. And different 'flavors' like xpm and other such things.

I would recommend the cheaper gpu and a cheaper well reviewed compatible motherboard too..

Edit: if you are not overclocking, you won't need the K edition. And if not OC'ing then you won't need the cooler either I believe..
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:00:40 AM

NoUserBar said:
Well it depends on what you want to do. That motherboard he chose for you supports up to 64gb of ram, and 3 sli slots for graphics cards, and high speed OC ram.

Other boards will only have 2 slots that are sli worthy, or just one. And support slower ram, and less ram. That sort of thing. Also some boards are of better quality than other boards.

If you are curious about the board you can google the motherboard's name and socket with the word review after it. Works for me. (if someone reviewed that motherboard.

Also different motherboard brands have different software for it. Different bios that sets things up, controls ram speed etc. And different 'flavors' like xpm and other such things.

Good answer.
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:14:18 AM

Newegg is a good search spot for monitors, you can find all sorts of reviews, and then search for other reviews on google if you find some you like.

http://www.newegg.ca/, newegg doesn't ship to Canada though.
m
l
October 12, 2012 10:24:58 AM

If your using your pc for 3d modelling you'll need a good motherboard, processor and plenty of ram (16gb is a minimum for 3d modelling or photoshop work otherwise you're going to have a bad time). It would probably be better to go for something which can support 32gb or 64gb (maybe 8 ram slots). You'll need a descent gpu - don't go overkill if you're not a gamer - these things are mightly expensive and you don't want to be budgeting for stuff you don't need. GTX 580 is a good card, perfect for your needs. GTX 480 is a little outdated and runs very very hot - stay away from it unless you want to double it up in sli and watercool it to get the same performance as a GTX670 (the only reason you would do this is because they're very cheap right now). A gtx 670/680 is just overkill, you don't need it really and its a waste of money if you aren't a hardcore gamer. The 560ti is also a good card if you don't want to spend a fortune - its got higher AF than a 480 (the AA is a lot lower than a 480, but overall AF will make the biggest difference) so it will run fast.

Ram is cheap right now, buy it in abundance. You should probably aim to get a 800w psu, go for something which is 80+ certified (less of the watts are lost as heat - more goes to powering your goodies).

Hope this helps!
m
l
October 12, 2012 8:39:50 PM

Best answer selected by Newbuild1111.
m
l
!