ONLY PERSONNEL EXPERIENCE PLEASE. MSI GeForce GTX560Ti Twin Froz II OC

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Hi there could those of you who have physically seen or actually played Battlefield 3 with the MSI GeForce GTX560Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB could you please tell me how it performed on high settings(and if you played on ultra please specify too)?

i really cant make up my mind about what GPU to choose... there seems to be a lot of problems with the MSI GeForce GTX560Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB which makes me hesitant to get it... Which is better Nvidia cards or AMD cards. like i said i want a reliable card that can play BATTLEFIELD 3 at high - ultra settings

I dont expect anyone to read the whole thing but please could you take a look and tell me if this is normal.. just read a couple of quotes please if you could do me this favor... http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215449

Thanks so much :sol:

While I don't have the card you have specified I will say a few things for you to consider.
First I didn't read the whole post but I read the first part and the person who initiated the post was running the 285 driver , which is now several releases behind the current 296.10. Driver releases tend to clear up some issues that people have with some games and while it's not a cure all you do have to run the current drivers to see if it fixes anything.
Second. The game BF3 is a very demanding game on a graphics card and all cards become stressed when playing it. Here's an example , I have three GTX 580's 3gb each and they are connected in 3-way SLI and they are also water cooled. When I play a game like MW3 there is very little heat coming off the radiator , Now when I play BF3 there is a lot of heat coming from the radiator so the cards are being stressed very high to give off that much heat when all three are working together.
The MSI card is a good brand and the company has a good reputation for graphics cards , if you stick with that card I would look at possibly getting the 2gb model because BF3 does use a good amount of v-ram.
The other thing to consider is your budget and how much it is because with the release of the new AMD cards and Nvidia's Keppler there are some price drops and rebates that may make a GTX 570 available to your budget amount. Plus you also have the GTX 560Ti 448 cores to consider. From the AMD side there is the 7850 and 7870. If time is not pressing you I'm sure that Nvidia will be releasing more of the 600 model lineup and you could wait and see what those prices would be.
If BF3 is your main game that you are focusing on then right now Nvidia cards will give you the better performance vs the AMD cards.

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks to all your responses. what is the difference of a 448 core (roundup ??? i think) compared to the other.
and would the MSI GeForce GTX560Ti Twin Froz II OC run BF3 on high settings with +40 fps?

The cores are the cuda cores and you will see the amount that each card has in the details of the card. It doers determine the performance of the card since the 560Ti 448 has 448 cude cores and the 570 has 480 cuda cores and the 580 has 512 cuda cores. With each card giving more performance the cuda cores do figure into the processing of video images that the card will produce.
You will have to decide what screen resolution you will be using to determine what settings you can use on the game to get the fps that you are looking for.

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Nothing less than High settings at 1920x1080 res with +40fps. whatever it takes..
my surrounding specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
8GB 1600 RAM
650w PSU
http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=5765 motherboard
1TB HDDrive
23" LED Monitor

P.S im from South Africa. thats why the price in the link to the motherboard is in Rands... not $$$ :eek:

I personally own a GTX 560 Ti, though not MSI, it's Gigabyte. I don't it has much difference though. I can say I can either play on high settings with 55-60 fps on multiplayer, or ultra settings with 35-40 fps, with occasional dips into 20s during intense actions, which makes it unplayable. I am playing at 1920x1080, so I can guarantee it will handle high settings just fine. My card is overclocked to 975 MHz core during BF3 (I don't run it at that speed 24/7, I see no reason to do it). The MSI one should overclock even better to due to it's insanely good cooler (or so I heard).

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

How much of a difference is it between High and Ultra?
This is my exact problem.. im asking the same question on another forum site and im basically getting the same answers.. the guys that seem to know a lot of what they are talking about say i will need something better and the gise who actually have the card say it plays pretty well (1920x1080 res / HIGH settings/ +40fps..) this is exactly why i cant make up my mind.

I think that because everybody has different components in thier computer it's very difficult to pin down an exact setup to compare to. I usually try to buy the best that I can aford so that if it doesn't measure up to my expectations then I only have myself to blame because I coundn't get anything better. So with that being said maybe the best thing for you to do is sit down with your budget and figure out what is the absolute most that you can spend on a video card and then see which ones fall into that price range.
The objective here is to have an enjoyable gameplay experience and that means to have +40 fps at high settings and 1920x1080 resolution. I don't really think there is enough difference between high and ultra to make it a must have. I think it is mostly bragging rights to be saying to your friends that you play on Ultra and it's the only way to go , that's simply not true. To play BF3 on ultra with 1920x1080 resolution and not have a fps drop off during intense battle you do have to have a powerful video card simply because the game is such a beast on video cards , it really stresses them out. I would want to have the same gaming experience all the way through the game. If you can live with a fps drop in intense battle and the rest of the game is acceptable then you should go for the 560Ti , but if you don't want that drop off then you will have to get something more powerful.
The good news is that you have the other components in your system now to support what ever card you do go for 650w psu , , 8gb of ram and a 2500k are rock solid components to compliment a 560Ti , 570 , 580 or even a 680 and the same models that are compatable from AMD.

The visual difference between high and ultra is negligible. The real difference is only made by AA, as it improves the quality noticeably. Textures just load video memory, and they aren't very noticeable. Personally, I don't see any difference unless I compare 2 screenshots that are placed next to each other.

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
thanks so much again.. you gise really lay it out nice and easy. what would YOU say on getting a second hand 570 or 580?? generally i like my things new knowing im the only one responsible for it. would you say it may be worth getting say a 2nd hand 580/70 ?
theres quite a few offers from the local ad dealing site from people selling say a gtx570 for actually slightly cheaper than a new msi gtx560ti twin frozr ii OC..

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I got my gtx 580 used just a couple weeks ago for $300 shipped, and its very very nice, such an improvement over my 5850. Just make sure your buying from a trustworthy person. If your buying online only deal with people who have an eestablished sellers history with positive feedback, like on heatware, eBay or OCN. Also try to find a card that has a transferable warrenty that can go to you just in case something happens, if you van, sometimes its hard to find because warranties vary between manufacturers and even models from the same manufacturer. Check out craigslist and stuff for local deals as theyre usually a little cheaper since you save on shipping. If you need to buy online check out overclock (and tom's of course), they have a good market place there and its usually slightly cheaper than ebay since theres no middle man fee

I have always sold my used video cards on E-Bay and while I don't abuse my cards at all there are some who do and you have to watch out for that. On E-Bay you have to carefully look at the sellers feedback to get a feel for what kind of seller you are dealing with. You don't want to deal with someone who has only a few feedbacks for a high priced item and generally warranties are not transferable. I have on occasion worked with a buyer that had an issue with a card and because it was still registered in my name I had him ship it back to me and I did the RMA.
There is generaly nothing wrong with second hand you just have to be careful.

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Ok looking at this and other articles i think im going for the 560ti because it seems to be in my budget and a pretty decent card. BUT, which one should i go for? i like MSI so ill probably go with them
Which one is better?
MSI gtx560ti twin frozr ii OC
OR the standard gtx560ti

Go with the twin frozr ii OC. the twin frozr ii is arguably the best custom manufacture cooler out there, and you get a nice factory OC to boot (though it's nothing you can't do yourself, but I'm always suspicious of binning...). I'd say the small price difference is worth the better cooler

I have not been a big fan of the MSI coolers because while they do seem to cool the cards well the fan casing is too open and would seem to blow a lot of the warm air into the inside of the case. Some of the other fan coolers are more closed thereby forcing the air out the rear bracket and the case. If your not overly concerned about the air temp inside of the case then you will like the MSI card.
I usually like buying the Evga cards because they give a lifetime limited warranty and most cards go with 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure what the average time is that a person will keep a card but if your going to hold onto it for several years the lifetime warranty is a consideration.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
560ti 448 core best $20 bucks of your life, over a 560ti. Oh and a 680 is more than twice as fast as two of these cards for the same price. With no extra power required or heat. Also you may want to consider EVGA.

EDIT: DONT GET A 560ti, get a 560ti-448 core or even better wait for a few more kepler cards (AKA the 600 series) Price will go down.

All valid points. my personal preference for the MSI coolers are generally based on the fact that my video card is usually the hottest component in my case. for instance, at load (gaming), my intel i5 2500k hovers around 55C, my sapphire dual-X 7970 around 60-65, and the case temp between 30-40 (I have a fan controller). while the exact temps may vary from rig to rig, I believe this distribution is generally the same. the sapphire dual-X cooler is similar to the MSI twin frozr, and before, when I had a reference 7970, my CPU was closer to 50C at load, and case temps closer to 30, but my GPU would shoot to ~75C. while I know that 75-80C is perfectly fine for the card, I'd rather have all my components hover around 40-50C, than have one piece at 75 and the rest at 30. just my 2 cents :)

My 5850s are OCed quite a bit, and should be pretty close or a little worse than a 560 Ti.

If I disable CF, Ultra settings with 0xMSAA is playable. High is pretty smooth.

A 560 Ti or better will be fine, thought a 7850 I think is a better investment for the 2gb of VRAM and being 22nm it also is cooler and has more OC headroom.

The 560 Ti 448 is one of the best bang-for-your-buck investments right now, though.

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

i might just do that... hopefully a 570 will fall into my price bracket. maybe if i stretch i could get a 580.. :bounce:
i still dont really understand what makes the 560ti-448 core better... or different from the standard 560ti?

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

what is CF? you say you disabled it.. cant work out what it is..
thanks for your input though.

Core count, the original 560Ti has 384 cores.