Your question

Video card upgrade kills power

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 15, 2012 5:01:07 PM

I have just bought a working xfx 6870 2 gig card (tested in another pc) and a brand new ocz fatality 750 watt psu. The psu works with the stock lame nvidea 8600gs 512mb card but when I plug in the new video card I cant turn on the pc and the psu plays dead. I am the unfortunate owner of an Acer Aspire AM510 E5402A quad core desktop pc. I know this MB is not the greatest but was hoping I can upgrade the graphics to prolong a MB upgrade.

More about : video card upgrade kills power

a c 254 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 5:19:58 PM

When you say that the psu plays dead does that mean that the psu does not turn on and that the fan on the psu is not turning? There are no lights on at all on the motherboard? No beeps? No case fans turning?
You do have the power connectors connected to the video card? 2 six pin cable connectors that are labled for Pci-e?
m
l
April 15, 2012 5:54:43 PM

You are correct, no power, lights or fan when video card is plugged into the slot on mb. Plugging or unplugging the 2, 4-pin modular connection cables makes no difference to the no power problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 6:05:58 PM

So the card you bought works on another computer but not yours and the card that you had works on your computer with the new psu but the new card won't. I must say that you have a very odd situation and there is one more way to test but it would be a lot of work for you and that is to put the psu in another computer to try the card there. What did you have for a psu before the OCZ.
m
l
April 15, 2012 6:33:56 PM

The psu and card work fine together in another computer. I had the stock Acer 250 watt psu before. The nvidea 8600GS draws power from the mb, the new one obviously does not.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 8:44:39 PM

All video cards are supposed to draw power from the motherboard in addition to the six pin power connectors. So the question is why does the new card and new psu work in another computer and not in the one you want it to. This is really baffeling and I wish I had the computer in front of me because I fell like I'm missing something , it just doesn't make sense.
m
l
April 16, 2012 4:23:21 AM

Installing the card a third time it actually powered up, I did the same thing my brother did to install it and it is up and running. Thanks for your replies though. Cheers. :sol: 
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:27:46 AM

apex240 said:
Installing the card a third time it actually powered up, I did the same thing my brother did to install it and it is up and running. Thanks for your replies though. Cheers. :sol: 

Hi Apex, I am going through the same phase what you had, a bit different though. I have exactly same computer bought at Futureshop couple years ago, now one of the capacitors on graphics had blown, so I bought a Zotac, PCI-E 16x 2.0 graphics card from Tigerdirect.ca and installed it , mine did power up, all the lights are on, the fan on the GC is working , the only thing that is not working is the monitor, I don't see anything on the monitor.

May I know what your brother did or you did to make it work.

Anybody's help is greatly appreciated.

Please also recommends a graphic card that works on my Acer Aspire AM5100-E5402A

Thanks in Advance
m
l