Sign in with
Your question

Onbord sound vs sound cards

Last response: in Components
October 12, 2012 1:28:56 AM

hello i am building a new computer ASUS Sabertooth X79.... Do you think i can stay with the onboard sound or should i get Creative Labs Sound Blaster RECON3D FATAL1TY... i am geting Edifier S550 5.1 Speaker Set and i like to have good sound
October 12, 2012 2:25:30 AM

Well what I would do is try the onboard sound first (which is usually pretty good) and then if you don't like what your hearing, get the sound card.
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:04:45 PM

A decent soundcard will make a significant difference in quality for most audio devices.

That being said, the Recon3D lineup doesn't have decent soundcards in it. Either go with the old X-fi lineup, or a soundcard from ASUS/Auzentech/HT Omega.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 12:17:16 PM

Consider buying logitech z5500 and connecting them with coax/optical spdif. This way the sound card doesn't matter.

But if you have already bought them, then the integrated realtek 892 isn't that great.
Soundcards mentioned above are all a good choice.
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:14:33 PM

Bejusek said:
Consider buying logitech z5500 and connecting them with coax/optical spdif. This way the sound card doesn't matter.

Thats idiotic. Instead of using a soundcard to handle the conversion to analog, you'd be using the DAC internal to the speaker, which is absolute crap compared to even onboard. Speakers like the Z5500 should ALWAYS be connected directly to analog.
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:39:40 PM

I use a quality over the ear headset on all my computers all the time with the on board audio systems. Frankly, I don't see how sound can get any better.
m
l
October 12, 2012 5:41:17 PM

Sound quality is pretty subjective. Start with the onboard. If it's not up to your standards, then add the sound card.
m
l
October 12, 2012 6:41:22 PM

ram1009 said:
I use a quality over the ear headset on all my computers all the time with the on board audio systems. Frankly, I don't see how sound can get any better.

You don't have a clue what you're missing then. Onboard, while clear, is just disbiringly flat when it comes to audio reproduction. Does a horrid job of separating lows, mids, and highs. Everything just muddles together.
m
l
October 16, 2012 1:31:38 AM

wildace said:
hello i am building a new computer ASUS Sabertooth X79.... Do you think i can stay with the onboard sound or should i get Creative Labs Sound Blaster RECON3D FATAL1TY... i am geting Edifier S550 5.1 Speaker Set and i like to have good sound

You should consider something better like the
Asus D2X or Xonar DX, I noticed a difference over the onboard Realtek HD built in audio, I'm by no means an audiophile, just an average user.....

The Edifier S550 has 2 passive radiators, comparing the size of the Subwoofers, the Edifier is bigger than the Logitech Z-5500 by far........ It weighs about 50 lbs. I own this babe :o ....... Just make sure you have enough room, oh and the satellites are about 5-6 lbs. The cable adapter you get has different colored plugs so try not to get confused with the pc input.......
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:20:39 AM

Like I said, you should try the onboard sound and see what you think. If it doesn't measure up to your standards than buy a dedicated sound card. This way if your happy with the onboard sound (I use a headset and it works for me) you won't need to spend the $ on a dedicated sound card. It's all up to what you want to do.
m
l
!