Your question

Please rate my first gaming build

Tags:
  • Cyberpower
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2012 7:53:16 AM

Hey guys so this will be my first PC purchase (not my choice, but i've been on macs all my life) and in general my first "nice" computer. I have spent the last few days cramming everything i can about what i need and i think i have created a build that will work well for me, but i would love advice from this great community.

Purchase Date - most likely within the week.

Budget Range - In all truth this build was over my budget my a little but considering i needed everything form OS to a monitor i felt it fit in nicely. If anyone sees any unnecessary parts that would help me reduce the price please let me know.

System Usage - I am going from Mac to PC for gaming so that will be its primary usage, specifically for Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2.

Parts Not Required - Not a part was uneeded except for a mouse.

Preferred Website - I am planning to purchase this off Cyberpower because for right now i don't have the option to build my own, but if anyone can recommend a better site to buy a pre-assembled PC please let me know.

Country - United States

Parts Preference - none

Overclocking - No

Sli or Crossfire - No

Monitor Resolution - 1920/1080

Additional Comments - Just want to note that some of the parts such as the water cooling and power supply seem like overkill for the rest of the build because of deals offered by Cyberpower.

I don't know of a better way to post all the parts then by copy and paste, so i apologize for the wall of text that is about to stun your eyes.

CARE1: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System

CAS: NZXT Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

COOLANT: Standard Coolant

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.30 GHz 3M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

HEADSET1: Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset

IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD: SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD

MOPAD1: Razer Goliathus Fragged Standard Mouse Pad - Speed

MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

POWERSUPPLY: * 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

It came out at $1184

More about : rate gaming build

June 12, 2012 8:27:07 AM

I would suggest you wait until you have time to learn to build your own that is a horrible gaming rig sorry to be so blunt but it's not worth it at all
m
l
June 12, 2012 1:36:14 PM

I must say that is not the response i was expecting. Also where would you buy parts for your pc. When i mimicked this build exactly on Newegg.com it came out as being $150 (I believe because of the fathers day special + SPRING0410) more than when i built it on cyberpower :/ 
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 1:58:56 PM

There are some major weaknesses in your build specs if your trying to get the most out of your custom PC. Going down the list, change your CPU to an Intel i3 or i5, Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge will work fine. I'd stay away from liquid cooling until you're abit more experienced with cooling since air cooling will probably do more for you and cause less problems. You'll have to change motherboards if you go with an i3 or i5 but there's plenty to choose from. The graphics card is alittle weak in my opinion and you would probably be better off getting a 6870 or 560 ti.
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:10:59 PM

You, or cyberpower need help.

1) A AM3 based motherboard is incompatible with an Intel i5-3570 cpu. The 3570 is good, but it needs a Z77 based motherboard.

2) For a gaming rig, the graphics card is more important than the cpu. The 7770 graphics is inappropriate. Plan on spending twice the amount for the graphics card than on the cpu.

3) Liquid cooling is for the record seeking overclockers. It is noisy, expensive, and more prone to failure. A $20 cm hyper212 is more than enough.

4) I suggest you use these forums to generate a appropriate list of parts, then find someone local to assemble it for you.
$100 might be an appropriate fee.
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:24:53 PM

1.) I changed to an i5 (and at the same time qualified for a fathers day special that made the price almost identical :) 

2.) Got rid of liquid cooling

3.) I also did make the upgrade to the 6870, but that really puts me at my limit price wise.

Also geofelt i had just forgotten to change the motherboard i had on my post. It was updated to a compatible Z77 board, I believe. Since you say i should focus more on the gpu would it be wise to downgrade to an i3 to up the graphics card, or will i just end up bottlenecking it with the weaker cpu
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:47:40 PM

You list a i5-3570 cpu which does not exist. I think you mean a 3570K, a $240 cpu that is as good as it gets for gaming.

The graphics card you list is a 6870 which is a fine $160 card.

If you take that $400 budget for the two, and rearrange it, you could do something like this:
$150 for a i3-2130 and a $250 7850. It would give you better gaming.

The 7850 does not need a 750w psu, 500w will do. You can cut back there.

The 2500K is almost as good a gamer as the 3570K, and a bit cheaper.
so, perhaps you can combine a 2500K with a 7850.

If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, or a 3570K for $190.
If you do, there is more incentive to buy your parts yourself and assemble it yourself.
It is not hard to do, really.

The experience and satisfaction is priceless.
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 2:58:44 PM

As it stands your build still has much more CPU power than GPU. It just seems weak for the price

Is there any way you can list what price they are charging you for each component?

The 6870 is a mid-high range card that can be had for ~$140-150 while the 7770 is two tiers down (a medium range card) that retails ~$120. Meanwhile, you're playing with some of the highest-end CPU choices for gaming.

CPU:
Hands down the best price/performance CPU for gaming is the Intel i5-2500k. Every i5 above that is a meaningless and is simply a variation of the i5 that may be slightly faster and significantly more expensive. It's just so fast that no game will saturate it. Why pay more money for anything more if a game will never saturate it?

Sure, a game in 3 or 4 years may saturate your i5 2500k, but it'll still likely play on high/ultra.

i7 desktop CPU's are never a good buy for a gamer. They add 1 significant feature, hyper threading, to an i5 and sell it for hundreds of dollars more.

Hyper threading allows the CPU to share two small tasks on each core, but we all know games are not small tasks. Games are very very intense big tasks, and sharing a core between a game and another task never speeds up your game. In fact, because you're probably playing the game you're running, you don't even have use for that second task you're sharing core resources to speed up. You're better off turning hyper threading off as a gamer.

have you ever heard of a quad core being too slow at multitasking? me neither. The only use for an i7 is business use where sharing lots of small tasks makes sense.

anyways:: ending that rant and getting back to your questions.

1) not a bad choice, I hope they aren't overcharging you but I can't tell.

2) excellent choice getting rid of water. Too much labor/upkeep for us non-record breaking home users.

3) You're not in the range of a 1000 dollar gaming PC yet, I think you'll find that a little slow, but builders tend to overcharge for GPU upgrades. If they are charging you more than 150 for that chip I would check to see if there is at least and option to choose no GPU and see what the price would be to buy your own.

It's probably about the easiest thing you can self-install in a computer.

4) They better be offering a warranty with all of this money you're spending.
m
l
June 12, 2012 3:19:57 PM

Okay so i downgraded to the i3 to upgrade the graphics card, i simply can't afford a i5 2500k and a better graphics card.

Also i don't have the option to build my own because this is not all my money. Because it will be my first computer, as in not the families, my parents are chipping in $500, and they will not let me build my own end of story.

m
l
June 12, 2012 3:51:40 PM

I can understand your parents not letting you build your own computer since things can go wrong but make sure you get a warranty from whoever assembles your computer.
m
l
June 12, 2012 4:03:54 PM

I dont see the changes people are talking about.

anyway, i would go with an i5 2500k and a 560 Ti... i did and play everything on high. its great. my CP build was $1190. however, i did not get the monitor (not included in the 1190). i would not buy it from CP... go on newegg and sign up for their promo emails. there are monitors on there twice a week. i got that 24" ASUS for 129 on there. same goes for the keyboard and mousepad. use the stock one for now and when you can afford to upgrade it, then do it. but dont skimp on a CPU or GPU bc you want a headset and better keyboard...

also, i would lose the water cooling. get a Hyper EVO 212 or Thermaltake FRIO.
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 6:17:33 PM

kipkipk,

I am on cyberpower building an example system. Mine looks a lot more powerful for the price. I'll post the specs here when i'm done, should be posted within the next hour
m
l
June 12, 2012 6:30:50 PM

Sweet, i anticipate your build's posting.
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 6:56:44 PM

I came in about $100 less than your *edited* system.

Mainly I dropped the extra stuff (mouse/keyboard upgrades and the like) and purchased a slightly better GPU and much better CPU (basically I got the i5 back).

I traded water for air even though it added 6 dollars. Easy choice because the air cooler is a highly recommended Hyper 212 versus a really mediocre corsair h60 hydro cooler.

The H60 performs much worse than the hyper 212 and has a shorter life span according to all reviews I've seen.

I dropped your case because one of my personal favorite cases is on the list and about 32 dollars cheaper. Do recommend it, it's very stylishly plain case with a nice window and black interior. Will do perfectly well and doesn't look ridiculous like all the other 'gaming' cases

I also chose a different Motherboard that was both cheaper and highly rated on Newegg. it's quite a good buy in my opinion.

I also chose a slightly worse power supply, but its ratings look excellent for adding a second graphics card in the future.

edit:: I also got a 1TB hard drive and a USB wireless dongle (you may want to drop these if you find you can do with less)

I guess the trade off is taking less expensive mouse and keyboard for much better system internals. Personally, I'd be really happy to make that trade off.. then do some research for what mice/keyboards are awesome and start putting together a list for the holidays or black friday/ other deal seasons
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 6:59:40 PM

here is my ugly ugly copy and past specs from cyberpower:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window [-36]

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3470 3.20 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [-34]

Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]

Motherboard: [CrossFireX] Biostar TZ77B Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Toverclocker, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2) 2x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) [-10]

Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS with Heat Spreader)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+207] (MSI Twin Frozr II OC 750 Mhz Powered by NVIDIA)

Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+41]

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

LCD Monitor: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD [+157]

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

External Wireless Network Card: ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter [+22]

Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

$1109
before all applicable rebates
Estimated ship date:
Tuesday, 6/26/2012
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 7:07:31 PM

both the CPU and the GPU are beasts. Best value on the list cyberpower offers no question.

retailmenot.com had this coupon:

SPRING0410 (5% off order over $1000)
I just tested it and it works, that will take another 50+ dollars off of your total.
m
l
June 12, 2012 7:40:42 PM

Thanks, Josh, but there are differences in what you have and what i need. You have a "standard" powersupply selected which apparently from cyber power are terrible and most members of forum seems to recommend not getting them. I understand not getting a a keyboard, but the headset is simply not optional. And the biggest thing missing from your build is windows 7 adding on another $100.
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:24:09 PM

kipkipk said:
Okay so i downgraded to the i3 to upgrade the graphics card, i simply can't afford a i5 2500k and a better graphics card.

Also i don't have the option to build my own because this is not all my money. Because it will be my first computer, as in not the families, my parents are chipping in $500, and they will not let me build my own end of story.

Your parents perhaps do not understand what is involved. Take the time to educate them and compare the costs of a pre-built vs. doing it yourself. There are video's showing the process.
If you can line up a more experienced mentor, then good.
Then explain that the educational and experience you will get wiil be priceless.
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 8:31:55 PM

Ok. well, if you're going to get an i3, you don't need DDR3 1600 memory (only supports up to 1333 speed).

If I were in your shoes I would:

Drop my 8gb 1600 to 4gb 1333, (-~$40) alone and slow your games by ~7fps, but the difference between an I5 35xx and an I3 21xx is much much more than 7fps.

Drop wifi card I added (-~$25)

drop 1TB HDD to 500GB (-$17$)

don't worry so much about the power supply, this one has two12v rails at ~33 amps each, it's 30+% over spec for your build and I don't see how it can fail short of getting a defective unit..

It's not worth adding 70-100 dollars for that corsair TBH. It's a great power supply when it's on newegg for ~50 dollars, but cyberpower is charging over 2x that amount. You also have a cyberpower warranty.

use the savings combined with coupon savings to buy Windows 7 on my build.

Get a 20-40 dollar headset at any electronics store, instead of paying for some weird gaming brand.. save your money and get a new headset later.

You're talking about cutting 2 cores, cpu speed decrease, and losing overclocking because you'd rather have an expensive headset.

Once you buy that i3 you're pretty much stuck with it. It's ~$170 for a i5 2500k, so it's unlikely you'll be able to just upgrade it like you can your headset.
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 8:33:58 PM

you seem mature enough to decide for your self, but I do think it is foolish to pick a mid-range system for the price of a high end system because you wanted to get extras (keyboard, headset, etc) that you can easily buy separately.

stuff like that goes on sale all the time. If you're going to pay a lot for a computer you better get the best internals for your budget and worry about the rest later.

Just something to think about.
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:43:13 PM

Do not get the STANDARD PSU.... its a recipe for disaster. drop the extra 50- 75 and save yourself a ton of frustration...
m
l
!