Solved

Phenom II X6 1045T or Phenom II X4 925

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X4 925 CPU in my computer. A friend of mine just offered to trade me a Phenom II X6 1045T since he doesn't use it. Would that be a worth while upgrade? Some pros and cons and some sound reasoning would be appreciated. thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom 1045t phenom
  1. The 1045t is basically what you have now plus 2 more cores.

In applications that can make use of the extra cores, it's a significant boost. In lightly-threaded applications, you will see no discernible difference between the two.
  2. Well...Both of them have TDP of 95W.
    I don't see any cons from doing it.
  3. Ok, just a couple of follow up questions...

The speed on the 1045t is slightly slower. Will I notice that? Or will the "turbo" when using 3 or less cores (3200 MHz) make up for that?

Also, I don't currently overclock, but if I wanted to, would one be significantly better than the other? My motherboard is ECS IC780M-A2
  4. Best answer
    Both are locked multiplier so overclocking involves the FSB its doable but results wont be epic.

The X6 has the turbo feature this makes up for the stock 100MHz less on the X4 (indeed your motherboard may have an option to "jam" the turbo on across the cores making it a 3200MHz CPU)

The X6 is better I would do the trade faster than he could have offered it.
  5. wr6133 said:
    Both are locked multiplier so overclocking involves the FSB its doable but results wont be epic.

The X6 has the turbo feature this makes up for the stock 100MHz less on the X4 (indeed your motherboard may have an option to "jam" the turbo on across the cores making it a 3200MHz CPU)

The X6 is better I would do the trade faster than he could have offered it.

how do i know if i can "jam" the turbo? i assume that's not a technical term i can look up
  6. scubaslim said:
    how do i know if i can "jam" the turbo? i assume that's not a technical term i can look up

In your BIOS there should be some options relating to turning the turbo off entirely on some boards there is an option to keep it on its usually called "core boost" or "performance boost" or "CPB" or something along those lines. Even if you can't getting 100MHz overclock via the FSB isn't hard.... basicaly grab that 1045T with both hands and dont let go
  7. cool thanks
  8. Best answer selected by scubaslim.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Phenom