How change a key's character?

February 2, 2005 10:07:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

How can I change a key's character assignement on my keyboard?

I would like to swap this character
" (double-quotes)
with this one
\ (forward-slash).

Is there a straightforward way to do this?

More about : change key character

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:07:31 PM

"Lem" <z@mail.com> wrote in message news:95F1C28CF1CF9D5E712@130.133.1.4...
> How can I change a key's character assignement on my keyboard?
>
> I would like to swap this character
> " (double-quotes)
> with this one
> \ (forward-slash).
>
> Is there a straightforward way to do this?

You'll need to mess with scan code mappings in the Registry. See this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1017256194

Dan

--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On 2/2/2005 11:07 AM On a whim, Lem pounded out on the keyboard

> How can I change a key's character assignement on my keyboard?
>
> I would like to swap this character
> " (double-quotes)
> with this one
> \ (forward-slash).
>
> Is there a straightforward way to do this?

I know there was a Kerneltoys (similar to Powertoys) released that had a
keyremap utility that would perform what you want. Do a Google search
for it. Not sure though if it works on XP since I've never used it.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
February 3, 2005 1:37:12 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:07:30 GMT, Lem <z@mail.com> wrote:

>How can I change a key's character assignement on my keyboard?
>
>I would like to swap this character
> " (double-quotes)
>with this one
> \ (forward-slash).
>
>Is there a straightforward way to do this?

Download and install "KeyTweak" from:-

http://www.tucows.com/preview/327616.html

It can change any key to any other.

--
OzBo
February 3, 2005 8:19:16 PM

On 02 Feb 2005, Jetro wrote:

> These should help:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map....
> Scan Code Mapper for Windows

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> /all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windo
> wsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/remapkey.asp Remapkey.exe: Remap
> Windows Keyboard Layout

remapkey.exe loks like a lovely tool except for one thing: it doesn't
show the key I was going to use between the 'Z' key and the left
SHIFT. Is there a way to get remapkey.exe to show this?

Also remapkey.exe doesn't seem to deal with shifted keys like the "
(double quotes) above the number 2. Is there a way around this?

> -57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en Windows Server 2003
> Resource Kit Tools

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:19:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Ah, German layout... You have to properly establish your *Text Services and
Input Languages* in Regional and Language Options.

Look at this

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx
The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
February 3, 2005 11:16:07 PM

On 03 Feb 2005, Jetro wrote:

> Ah, German layout... You have to properly establish your *Text
> Services and Input Languages* in Regional and Language Options.
>
> Look at this
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx
> The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator

I checked and Text Services and Input Languages are set up correctly
for me. I am in the UK and I use a standard UK keyboard.

I post via the German public service newsserver but I am not based
there nor do I use a German keyboard.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:22:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I thought it's UK k/b but Berlin newsfeed confused me :)

So it's UK Extended k/b with Backslash key between left Shift and Z.
I installed Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, loaded UK extended k/b
layout, and voila! - remapped the individual scancodes such as Backslash and
D-Quotes, built the package, and installed it.
February 8, 2005 1:38:41 PM

On 04 Feb 2005, Jetro wrote:

> So it's UK Extended k/b with Backslash key between left Shift
> and Z. I installed Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, loaded UK
> extended k/b layout, and voila! - remapped the individual
> scancodes such as Backslash and D-Quotes, built the package, and
> installed it.

Jetro, after reading this I installed Microsoft Keyboard Layout
Creator and did the remapping. I saved the work in a file.

I can test my new version and it works nicely even though Validation
gives me this information: