XFX 5770 HD Overheating. Need Advice

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Little over a year ago I bought a Bestbuy PC (Asus Model). I bought this PC only because I needed to upgrade and was broke, so I put it on my Bestbuy card. Now over the last few months I've upgraded it when I had money. Here are the specs.

Case: Standard ASUS essentio series.
CPU: 965 AMDX4
GPU: XFX 5770 HD
PSU: 500w cont. (not sure of brand)
Ram: 4gig (stock)
Mobo: Stock Asus

PSU is top mounted. There is 1 fan at the back of the case under the PSU that is blowing air into the case I'm pretty sure.
PSU fan is blowing hot air down into the case.
I assume the case is terrible for airflow, and my house is pretty warm all year around and I am on the top floor with the PC on the floor. House temps are around 72f.
I recently cleaned all the dust I could out of the card and other parts of my PC. The card looks pretty clean almost new like.

Okay onto my problem; I bought my card over a year ago, and about 6 months ago I just started worrying about temps. I recently was reading that the XFX 5770 has some heating problems. I read of alot of people sending them RMA. I think I ran out of time though. I think the stupid AMD program I use keeps my card running at high clock settings even when I'm idle.

Here is a screenshot of my idle temps: http://i.imgur.com/fLlBE.jpg

When playing games such as diablo 3 beta my card hits around 90c while the fan is manually set at like 85%
Playing BF3 on High settings it hits like 85c with the fan at 85%

My concern is that I have to manually set the fan because it won't do it itself. I was playing wow the other day forgot to turn the fan up and my temps were at 88c and the fan was at like 55%.

What would you guys recommend I do. I'm pretty poor. I have been trying to buy a new case so I can add more fans. But right now I'm just worried about my card dying. Its about 15 months old. I play games alot probably 5+ hours a day.