Any of you guys scared when disassembling your computer?

koreanzombie

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
You know what I'm talking about. The general tussle and yanking of plugs and components off your rig. For example, I hate taking the goddamn i5 processor out for cleaning or repasting thermal paste. In all my years of building a computer, I haven't come across a system where I can cleanly take apart the components as easily or simply. For instance, when taking out my ginormous GTX 570, the psu plugs for the damn thing are latched on like glue. I have to give it a good tug and yank before the SOB pops loose.

Or when removing my gpu from and to my mobo, I can hear my mobo creaking and cracking from all the muscle work I'm doing to it. Not sure if this kills the life of my motherboard or what, but it gets really nerve racking. I don't dissemble my computer unless I absolutely need to.

So for you guys that don't have problem taking apart your rig, how the *** do you do it? I don't have the patients nor the surgeon like hands to operate that way.

I find a blatant disregard for personal safety and laws gets me through any situation
IMAG0556.jpg

I think the key is faith in yourself, if you know what you're attempting and have confidence, lifes a cakewalk
**Edit, always own a leatherman, angle grinder and a roll of duct tape**
Moto

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

And a fireblanket................... :eek:

+999999999 on the leatherman though I have a draw full of them most useful thing ever.

Hazle

Distinguished
only for laptops, especially those requiring me to remove the keyboard, if only because of that one time and how annoying it was to put it all back together.

if i build it, i know well enough how to un-build it, except for that first time.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Wiggle the PSU connectors back and forth until they loosen up and twist heatsinks back and forth until the cemented thermal paste breaks loose. Good cable management inside your case can make *** easier too. Sure, it takes like 5 god damn hours to get it all right, but it's worth in the long run over the years.

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012

because accidentally applying too much cleaning solution/pressure directly to the CPU/mobo scores a 9 on the uncoolthingstodowithyourexpensiverig scale.

da22

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

This is good darn advice, shouldnt take 5 hours though :D

I cant remember how long i've been taking apart and building pc's but as long as you do you prep work it should be all ok.

Also nothing should creak or crack, do it all gently and you will be fine!

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Scared, nah. But a bit nervous in general, sure.
I can definitely follow you on the GPU one, my old 5770 has the casing covering the latch you have to press to be able to pull out the PSU cable, meaning I have to press things a bit to get my thumb in there.
I haven't experience much motherboard creaking but last time i had the CPU out the computer wouldn't work afterwards, and much problem solving revealed a broken pin in the socket (cheers for toothpicks as tools for repair).
I finally got a case with room for proper cable management last time around, and it only took me around 40 minutes to get it setup so only relevant cables protrude to the motherboard side.

Shodoman

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012

you mean you insert the cpu in the mobo socket after you've attached a 4-600g radiator onto it's back?
cleaning solutions should't damage your hardware.