Sign in with
Your question

How Much Would You Sell This For?

Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2012 1:00:15 PM

Hey TH Community,

I'm selling my second rig to make room for a new watercooling project and I wanted to get a second opinion (mine being the first) on what to ask for this rig:

Specs:
Case - Corsair 500R, White
Mobo - AsRock Extreme3Gen3
CPU - I5-2500K SandyBridge overclocked to 4.6GHz
Cooling - Hyper 212 Evo
RAM - 4gb DDR3-1600 GSkill RipjawsX
Graphics - 2 x Sapphire HD6950 crossfire overclocked
Hard Drives - 300gb Velociraptor 10k rpm, 500gb WD Caviar Blue
PSU: Antec Signature Series 650w

Everything works like a champ and the case looks amazing as I took my time to make sure cable management was done right. It's less than six months old and I'd be selling the tower only, with formatted hard drives, fresh win7 home premium (with disc), and updated drivers/software/etc.

I was thinking somewhere in the range of 1000-1200. Am I way off?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

More about : sell

a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 1:12:44 PM

No. That's about right. I'll mention your post if someone is looking for one in the forums. You may be offered less. Personally I wouldn't sell a nice rig like this just for a watercooling project.
m
l
June 12, 2012 1:19:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, o1die. I'm in the UK, if you find anyone interested. And you're right, it's an amazing rig, but I've got my eyes set on something that's going to be pretty epic and for about the same amount of money I'm asking for this rig, so win-win. lol
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 1:26:57 PM

I'd say 1200-1500, depending on how old it is. I'm planning on putting my rig up on craigslist in a few weeks to finance a new build. Planning to ask for $1500, will settle for as low as $1300 I think. It's only about two months old, and even with just a single 6950 (OCed to 950 core) can run anything I throw at it on ultra at 1080p. That's all most people looking for a gaming computer are going to care about.

Just finished a playthrough of Crysis 2 with high res textures and DX11 and all settings on Ultra. Steady 30 FPS through about 95% of the game, dropped to 20 in a couple spots at the end.

I also won the chip lottery with this 2500k, and will be pushing its insane overclocking headroom as a selling point. Don't see a lot of chips that will hit 5.25 GHz.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 1:36:36 PM

I wouldn't advertise the OC when you try to sell.

I'm thinking $700-800 for a used price.
m
l
June 12, 2012 1:42:05 PM

Well, that's both ends of the spectrum. Thanks for the advice. I will consider my options

ubercake said:

Why not?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 1:48:25 PM

ubercake said:

I'm thinking $700-800 for a used price.

Eh, I don't care. If nobody buys it, I'll just keep on using it for a while longer. I just want a fair price for the system which is effectively brand new, and building the exact same system on Newegg today is almost $1400. I think $100 for it being built and a small premium for getting a 2500k that's probably in the top 0.1% of chips is fair. I'm also including a 120GB SSD and 1.5 TB hard drive.

The chip isn't degraded (I periodically boot it at my max OC to make sure it's not getting any worse), and it performs phenomenally. If nobody wants to pay a fair price, then I'll sell it to a friend at a friend price. I've got plenty of buddies who are looking to upgrade their rigs, and I can eat a $500 loss if need be.

Collectively, we need to stop asking for ludicrously low prices on gaming rigs just because they're used. If nobody will pay a fair price, don't sell it. It's not like hardware has a shelf life.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 2:06:12 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking $900 only because it comes with windows.
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:14:49 PM

The components are pretty okay, but AsRock mobos aren't THAT good. Changing the motherboard would give it a better value. I'd say $850 to $1300 at most.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 2:25:34 PM

Hobo82 said:
Well, that's both ends of the spectrum. Thanks for the advice. I will consider my options

Why not?

Anyone can raise a multiplier and voltage. Not everyone can optimize OC settings and minimize damage to their components. As a buyer I'm supposed to trust you as an expert? I just plain wouldn't unless I knew you and knew your skill level.

Nothing against you at all, but do you know what I mean?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 2:31:58 PM

willard said:
Eh, I don't care. If nobody buys it, I'll just keep on using it for a while longer. I just want a fair price for the system which is effectively brand new, and building the exact same system on Newegg today is almost $1400. I think $100 for it being built and a small premium for getting a 2500k that's probably in the top 0.1% of chips is fair. I'm also including a 120GB SSD and 1.5 TB hard drive.

The chip isn't degraded (I periodically boot it at my max OC to make sure it's not getting any worse), and it performs phenomenally. If nobody wants to pay a fair price, then I'll sell it to a friend at a friend price. I've got plenty of buddies who are looking to upgrade their rigs, and I can eat a $500 loss if need be.

Collectively, we need to stop asking for ludicrously low prices on gaming rigs just because they're used. If nobody will pay a fair price, don't sell it. It's not like hardware has a shelf life.

It would probably be your best bet to sell it to a friend. You know they'd appreciate it.

Hardware does have a shelf life. New tech is out every year making sure last year's tech is old news while lowering the value of last year's tech. Can it still do what we need it to? Probably, but don't expect to get close to the same amount of money you paid retail for tech that's been out for a year or more.

The other problem is the longer you sit on it waiting to get the money you feel you deserve out of it, the older it gets.

It's the nature of the beast.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 2:59:17 PM

ubercake said:
Hardware does have a shelf life. New tech is out every year making sure last year's tech is old news while lowering the value of last year's tech.

I'm not talking about a year old computer, I'm talking about a two month old rig. And I'm also not advocating asking retail for old computers, but knocking off 33%-50% of the price for it being a couple months old is idiotic. The hardware is worth a certain amount, and it doesn't do you any favors to slash the price for no reason other than it being used.

If it's old and outdated and there's something newer and better for the same or less, then absolutely you need to cut the price. But that's not what I'm talking about. I valued the 6950 in my rig at about 66% of retail because the newer cards offer better value. The 2500k, on the other hand, is every bit as good as the 3570k for a gamer, and I think valuing it at $200 is perfectly reasonable. Similarly, I believe my SSD, HDD, PSU, motherboard, etc. are worth every bit as much as the day I bought them. Their performance is the same, you'd pay the same if you bought them today, there aren't better parts for less. So why should I cut the price?

Quote:
The other problem is the longer you sit on it waiting to get the money you feel you deserve out of it, the older it gets.

Like I said, I don't care. I'm not desperate to sell. If nobody wants to pay a fair price, it won't get sold and that's totally fine by me. I'd rather not sell or eat a loss selling to a friend than eat a loss so some stranger can pay a fraction of the cost for a brand new rig. That's just awful business.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 3:46:28 PM

willard said:
I'm not talking about a year old computer, I'm talking about a two month old rig. And I'm also not advocating asking retail for old computers, but knocking off 33%-50% of the price for it being a couple months old is idiotic. The hardware is worth a certain amount, and it doesn't do you any favors to slash the price for no reason other than it being used.

If it's old and outdated and there's something newer and better for the same or less, then absolutely you need to cut the price. But that's not what I'm talking about. I valued the 6950 in my rig at about 66% of retail because the newer cards offer better value. The 2500k, on the other hand, is every bit as good as the 3570k for a gamer, and I think valuing it at $200 is perfectly reasonable. Similarly, I believe my SSD, HDD, PSU, motherboard, etc. are worth every bit as much as the day I bought them. Their performance is the same, you'd pay the same if you bought them today, there aren't better parts for less. So why should I cut the price?

Quote:

Like I said, I don't care. I'm not desperate to sell. If nobody wants to pay a fair price, it won't get sold and that's totally fine by me. I'd rather not sell or eat a loss selling to a friend than eat a loss so some stranger can pay a fraction of the cost for a brand new rig. That's just awful business.

As a buyer, I don't really care when you bought it. It's USED. In my head, I'm thinking 'for a USED 2500k system with two 6950s, I'd pay x'. Otherwise, I'd just pay the additional to build my own system with the latest tech.

Additionally, I don't care when you bought it so much as the technology's already almost 18 months old on the processor and the 6950s. It might have been new to you six months ago, but to the rest of the world the technology was already around for a year.

I'm not arguing its functionality at all. The technology is entirely relevant, but I wouldn't expect to pay anything close to retail on USED goods with technology over a year old.

Good business involves selling goods to strangers every day. Awful business is viewing 18 month old tech as a sound investment and thinking you're going to sell 18 month old tech that's USED for close to retail.

You're not selling new goods. You're going to eat a loss of some type either way.

I don't mean to insult anyone. I was just trying to give a realistic expectation based on OP asking people to reply.

I wish OP luck with their sale either way.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 4:19:03 PM

ubercake said:
As a buyer, I don't really care when you bought it. It's USED. In my head, I'm thinking 'for a USED 2500k system with two 6950s, I'd pay x'. Otherwise, I'd just pay the additional to build my own system with the latest tech.

I'm not expecting to sell this to somebody comfortable with building their own. I'm targeting people who just want a good gaming rig. People who build their own don't make up a large portion of the market for used computers anyway. Most people just want a gaming rig that gives good performance for less than it would cost from Dell. I'm offering exactly that.

Quote:
Additionally, I don't care when you bought it so much as the technology's already almost 18 months old on the processor and the 6950s. It might have been new to you six months ago, but to the rest of the world the technology was already around for a year.

I already said I've compensated for the age of the 6950. I'm valuing it at about $150, retails for $250. I challenge you to find a video card that matches or beats the 6950 for that price. And the 2500k is every bit as fast as the newer processors. Who cares if they're newer, they aren't better. If some uninformed buyer thinks I should knock $500 off the price of the computer because the 2500k isn't the newest kid on the block, that's fine by me. I'm not going to cater to his irrational expectations because he doesn't understand the hardware.

Quote:
Good business involves selling goods to strangers every day.

Never said selling to strangers was bad. I said slashing prices to ludicrous levels is bad.

Quote:
Awful business is viewing 18 month old tech as a sound investment and thinking you're going to sell 18 month old tech that's USED for close to retail.

Exactly two components are old in the computer. Two. T-W-O. The rest is brand spanking new. One of the components I've already adjusted price for, the other I do not think there is a case for adjusting, as I've explained twice now.

Quote:
You're not selling new goods. You're going to eat a loss of some type either way.

I am eating a loss already. Prices have dropped on a number of the components. I'm just saying that components don't lose half their value just because they've been in the rig for a couple months. I'm not talking about the video card. I'm not talking about the processor. I'm talking about everything else in the system that makes up close to three quarters of the value that is brand new.

Like I've said over and over again, if nobody is willing to pay a price I consider fair, then I am totally fine with that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 4:40:35 PM

Now I'm trying to figure out if this is Willard's thread or Hobo82 seeking advice?

Hobo82, I hope you have good luck selling your system. If you get more than $800 for it, more power to you. I would list it at $900 and take $700-$800. If you price it around a grand, you're going to be competing with retail.

I'm sure Willard will have his brand new USED computer sold any day now at just under cost, so he doesn't need any advice. He's just gonna go out there and stand next to the computer store and sell his new used computer for just under retail because he's not desperate to sell it or anything. Even though he bought parts from the computer store and has them in his house as part of his system, they are brand new in Willard's world. Apparently, he's the guy on Ebay that just sold you that RAM kit as new, but you wonder why it's already been opened (the sticker's ripped).

Now maybe Willard can start his own thread about how he's not desparate to sell his new used computer so he can ask people how much they would buy it for and then tell them why they are wrong.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 5:23:45 PM

Quote:
I'm sure Willard will have his brand new USED computer sold any day now at just under cost, so he doesn't need any advice.

Way to get condescending. I never asked for advice, I stated my intentions.

Quote:
He's just gonna go out there and stand next to the computer store and sell his new used computer for just under retail because he's not desperate to sell it or anything.

Craigslist, but yes. I'm planning to sell the computer for $1300-1500, which is around 85%-100% of retail.

Quote:
Even though he bought parts from the computer store and has them in his house as part of his system, they are brand new in Willard's world.

Misconstruing my words. The technology I was referring to as brand new. The parts I will list as like new. I guess I should have spelled that out explicitly, but I thought it was obvious in the context if you constantly harping on "zomg 18 month old hardware."

Quote:
Apparently, he's the guy on Ebay that just sold you that RAM kit as new, but you wonder why it's already been opened (the sticker's ripped).

I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that I'm committing fraud here. I'm sorry it upsets you so much that we disagree about the value of a two month old computer, but this is absolutely unnecessary.

Quote:
Now maybe Willard can start his own thread about how he's not desparate to sell his new used computer so he can ask people how much they would buy it for and then tell them why they are wrong.

Never asked anybody what my rig was worth or what they'd pay for it. I stated what I believed it to be worth, and said that I'm not going to settle for less because I have no need to.

I'm sorry if I upset you because I'm discussing what I believe to be a fair pricing scheme in a thread asking about fair pricing on a computer. I'm a bit confused by your hostility, but hey, if you need to get angry when somebody disagrees with you, that's your problem, not mine.
m
l
!