Recently used programs gone

I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now, my most
recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally blank. It does
have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below that where it would
normally show applications that I have recently used. How can I fix this?

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about recently programs gone

    If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to >>>
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\

    Check the settings on these...

    Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu

    Do not keep history of recently opened documents

    Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
    -----

    How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

    Check these settings if you have TweakUI.

    TweakUI
    [+] Explorer

    ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic start
    menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents” checkbox on
    the Start menu customization dialog.]]

    ? Clear document history on exit
    [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
    documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
    you log off]]

    ? Maintain document history
    [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the Start menu
    and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that some applications do
    not respect this setting). ]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O$4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now, my
    > most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
    > blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
    > that where it would normally show applications that I have recently
    > used. How can I fix this?
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks for the reply....I'm assuming when you say "documents" you mean
    programs, because I don't want recent documents displayed, I want the list
    of frequently used programs to show. Does Windows not make a distinction
    between programs and documents?

    doug

    > If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
    > Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    > Navigate to >>>
    > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
    >
    > Check the settings on these...
    >
    > Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu
    >
    > Do not keep history of recently opened documents
    >
    > Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
    > -----
    >
    > How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875
    >
    > Check these settings if you have TweakUI.
    >
    > TweakUI
    > [+] Explorer
    >
    > ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    > [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic start
    > menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents” checkbox on
    > the Start menu customization dialog.]]
    >
    > ? Clear document history on exit
    > [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
    > documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
    > you log off]]
    >
    > ? Maintain document history
    > [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the Start menu
    > and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that some applications do
    > not respect this setting). ]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:O$4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now, my
    >> most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
    >> blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
    >> that where it would normally show applications that I have recently
    >> used. How can I fix this?
    >>
    >> TIA

    Oops. ;-(

    [[Programs are added to the most frequently used programs list when you use
    them. Windows has a default number of programs that are displayed on the
    most frequently used programs list. When that number of programs is reached,
    the programs you have not opened recently are replaced by the programs you
    used last. You can change the default number of programs displayed on the
    most frequently used programs list.]]

    Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
    General tab | Under Programs | Number of programs on Start
    menu: | What's the number?

    Number of programs on Start menu
    [[Specifies the maximum number of programs to display in the most frequently
    used programs list on the Start menu. You can increase or decrease the
    number.]]

    Clear List button
    [[Click to delete the shortcuts displayed in the most frequently used
    programs list on the Start menu. This does not delete the program from the
    computer. The next time you run a program, its shortcut is displayed on the
    Start menu.]]
    -----

    Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm

    The Program Count for the Most Frequently Used Programs List Is Not Used
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320987

    Frequently Used Programs Not Automatically Added to the Start Menu
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];282066

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:egmXoqgCFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the reply....I'm assuming when you say "documents" you mean
    > programs, because I don't want recent documents displayed, I want
    > the list of frequently used programs to show. Does Windows not make
    > a distinction between programs and documents?
    >
    > doug

    >> If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
    >> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    >> Navigate to >>>
    >> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
    >>
    >> Check the settings on these...
    >>
    >> Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu
    >>
    >> Do not keep history of recently opened documents
    >>
    >> Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
    >> -----
    >>
    >> How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start
    >> Menu in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875
    >>
    >> Check these settings if you have TweakUI.
    >>
    >> TweakUI
    >> [+] Explorer
    >>
    >> ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    >> [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic
    >> start menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents”
    >> checkbox on the Start menu customization dialog.]]
    >>
    >> ? Clear document history on exit
    >> [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
    >> documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
    >> you log off]]
    >>
    >> ? Maintain document history
    >> [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the
    >> Start menu and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that
    >> some applications do not respect this setting). ]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:O$4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now,
    >>> my most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
    >>> blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
    >>> that where it would normally show applications that I have recently
    >>> used. How can I fix this?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList is added by gpedit.msc if you have XP Pro. If
    you don't have the key that shouldn't be the problem. No key means you
    should have the MFU programs list.

    Try this...

    Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu

    Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
    General tab | Under Programs | Set Number of programs on
    Start menu to 0 (zero) | Click the Clear List button | OK |
    Apply | OK

    Reboot.

    Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
    General tab | Under Programs | Set Number of programs on
    Start menu to more than zero | OK | Apply | OK

    See if you start getting programs added to the list.

    [[Most Frequently Used list displays programs based on how often they are
    used. If you remove a program from the list, the computer resets its usage
    count to zero. When the program is used again, it gains usage points and it
    can reappear in the Most Frequently Used list.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User