Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recently used programs gone

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:38:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now, my most
recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally blank. It does
have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below that where it would
normally show applications that I have recently used. How can I fix this?

TIA

More about : recently programs

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:17:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\

Check the settings on these...

Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu

Do not keep history of recently opened documents

Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
-----

How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

Check these settings if you have TweakUI.

TweakUI
[+] Explorer

? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
[[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic start
menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents” checkbox on
the Start menu customization dialog.]]

? Clear document history on exit
[[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
you log off]]

? Maintain document history
[[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the Start menu
and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that some applications do
not respect this setting). ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o $4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
> I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now, my
> most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
> blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
> that where it would normally show applications that I have recently
> used. How can I fix this?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:09:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks for the reply....I'm assuming when you say "documents" you mean
programs, because I don't want recent documents displayed, I want the list
of frequently used programs to show. Does Windows not make a distinction
between programs and documents?

doug


"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23xIkEaZCFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
> Navigate to >>>
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
>
> Check the settings on these...
>
> Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu
>
> Do not keep history of recently opened documents
>
> Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
> -----
>
> How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875
>
> Check these settings if you have TweakUI.
>
> TweakUI
> [+] Explorer
>
> ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
> [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic start
> menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents” checkbox on
> the Start menu customization dialog.]]
>
> ? Clear document history on exit
> [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
> documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
> you log off]]
>
> ? Maintain document history
> [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the Start menu
> and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that some applications do
> not respect this setting). ]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o $4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
>> I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now, my
>> most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
>> blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
>> that where it would normally show applications that I have recently
>> used. How can I fix this?
>>
>> TIA
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:53:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Oops. ;-(

[[Programs are added to the most frequently used programs list when you use
them. Windows has a default number of programs that are displayed on the
most frequently used programs list. When that number of programs is reached,
the programs you have not opened recently are replaced by the programs you
used last. You can change the default number of programs displayed on the
most frequently used programs list.]]

Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
General tab | Under Programs | Number of programs on Start
menu: | What's the number?

Number of programs on Start menu
[[Specifies the maximum number of programs to display in the most frequently
used programs list on the Start menu. You can increase or decrease the
number.]]

Clear List button
[[Click to delete the shortcuts displayed in the most frequently used
programs list on the Start menu. This does not delete the program from the
computer. The next time you run a program, its shortcut is displayed on the
Start menu.]]
-----

Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm

The Program Count for the Most Frequently Used Programs List Is Not Used
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320987

Frequently Used Programs Not Automatically Added to the Start Menu
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];282066


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:egmXoqgCFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the reply....I'm assuming when you say "documents" you mean
> programs, because I don't want recent documents displayed, I want
> the list of frequently used programs to show. Does Windows not make
> a distinction between programs and documents?
>
> doug
>
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:%23xIkEaZCFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
>> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
>> Navigate to >>>
>> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
>>
>> Check the settings on these...
>>
>> Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu
>>
>> Do not keep history of recently opened documents
>>
>> Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
>> -----
>>
>> How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start
>> Menu in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875
>>
>> Check these settings if you have TweakUI.
>>
>> TweakUI
>> [+] Explorer
>>
>> ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
>> [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic
>> start menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents”
>> checkbox on the Start menu customization dialog.]]
>>
>> ? Clear document history on exit
>> [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
>> documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
>> you log off]]
>>
>> ? Maintain document history
>> [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the
>> Start menu and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that
>> some applications do not respect this setting). ]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o $4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now,
>>> my most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
>>> blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
>>> that where it would normally show applications that I have recently
>>> used. How can I fix this?
>>>
>>> TIA
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:13:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList is added by gpedit.msc if you have XP Pro. If
you don't have the key that shouldn't be the problem. No key means you
should have the MFU programs list.

Try this...

Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu

Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
General tab | Under Programs | Set Number of programs on
Start menu to 0 (zero) | Click the Clear List button | OK |
Apply | OK

Reboot.

Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
General tab | Under Programs | Set Number of programs on
Start menu to more than zero | OK | Apply | OK

See if you start getting programs added to the list.

[[Most Frequently Used list displays programs based on how often they are
used. If you remove a program from the list, the computer resets its usage
count to zero. When the program is used again, it gains usage points and it
can reappear in the Most Frequently Used list.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23oZun8wCFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the reply
>
> I looked in the registry for the keys listed in the first article you
> referenced and the key"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList" wasn't even in the
> registry. Could that be the reason the programs aren't showing? And
> I guess that begs the question: why is it missing in the first
> place? Considering I did a clean install recently and updated the
> SPs, etc.
>
>
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:ezDJwPlCFHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Oops. ;-(
>>
>> [[Programs are added to the most frequently used programs list when
>> you use them. Windows has a default number of programs that are
>> displayed on the most frequently used programs list. When that
>> number of programs is reached, the programs you have not opened
>> recently are replaced by the programs you used last. You can change
>> the default number of programs displayed on the most frequently used
>> programs list.]]
>>
>> Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
>> General tab | Under Programs | Number of programs on Start
>> menu: | What's the number?
>>
>> Number of programs on Start menu
>> [[Specifies the maximum number of programs to display in the most
>> frequently used programs list on the Start menu. You can increase or
>> decrease the number.]]
>>
>> Clear List button
>> [[Click to delete the shortcuts displayed in the most frequently used
>> programs list on the Start menu. This does not delete the program
>> from the computer. The next time you run a program, its shortcut is
>> displayed on the Start menu.]]
>> -----
>>
>> Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm
>>
>> The Program Count for the Most Frequently Used Programs List Is Not
>> Used http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320987
>>
>> Frequently Used Programs Not Automatically Added to the Start Menu
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];282066
>>
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:egmXoqgCFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thanks for the reply....I'm assuming when you say "documents" you
>>> mean programs, because I don't want recent documents displayed, I
>>> want the list of frequently used programs to show. Does Windows
>>> not make a distinction between programs and documents?
>>>
>>> doug
>>>
>>>
>>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:%23xIkEaZCFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>> If XP Pro you can use Group Edit to check these also...
>>>> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
>>>> Navigate to >>>
>>>> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
>>>>
>>>> Check the settings on these...
>>>>
>>>> Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu
>>>>
>>>> Do not keep history of recently opened documents
>>>>
>>>> Clear history of recently opened documents on exit
>>>> -----
>>>>
>>>> How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start
>>>> Menu in Windows XP
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875
>>>>
>>>> Check these settings if you have TweakUI.
>>>>
>>>> TweakUI
>>>> [+] Explorer
>>>>
>>>> ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
>>>> [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic
>>>> start menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents”
>>>> checkbox on the Start menu customization dialog.]]
>>>>
>>>> ? Clear document history on exit
>>>> [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the
>>>> recent documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history
>>>> when you log off]]
>>>>
>>>> ? Maintain document history
>>>> [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the
>>>> Start menu and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that
>>>> some applications do not respect this setting). ]]
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>>
>>>> Wes
>>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>>
>>>> In news:o $4fefXCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>>> drdug <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
>>>>> I'm using XP PRo with SP2, and recently did a clean install. Now,
>>>>> my most recently used programs list no longer works...it's totally
>>>>> blank. It does have IE and OE icons at the top, but nothing below
>>>>> that where it would normally show applications that I have
>>>>> recently used. How can I fix this?
>>>>>
>>>>> TIA
Related resources
!