My PSU is really 600W??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
First of all, i just brought this psu last 2 months ago. it says 600W max. my thought, this psu can plug higher end graphic card.
My main buying this is to replaced my faulty psu which got fry out with overclocked mobo (the mobo gets corrupted)

My currently PSU is not attractive brand. its Tatu TronMonXter Ultimate Power 600 (i also found a Tatu TronMonXter Ultimate Power 400 too but i just buy for higher watt). its cheap that in euro is EUR 25 and in US is $32 (rounded off). that time i was in tight budget (only capable on buying $52 ASrock mobo and power supply) and i even install it myself for free.

At first i was so happy having my psu till now. last thread i read about radeon hd 7750 which do not uses any 6-pin socket. its features 55W. at first thought my pc can use this graphic card but on other thread, it requires 12V rail of 20A (if im not mistaken)

i surprised. my psu features 6-pin socket. and this is my psu spec
rails: +3.3V/ 24A
+5V / 23A
+12V/ 18A
-12V/ 0.8A
-5V/ 0.5A
+5VBS/ 2.0A

now i really confused. can my psu run hd 7750 at least? of course, i want hd 7770 which uses 80W (occupies my unused 6-pin power socket). is my psu compatible to these cards?

right know my system is at very stable rate even i oc my system. im using:
CPU: AMD Sempron 140 overclocked to 3.46GHz at 1.425V
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4350 overclocked to GPU@725MHz, Memory@481MHz
MOBO: ASRock N68C-GS FX
RAM: overclocked 1X KingMax 2GB DDR2-856 at 6-6-6-12 2T auto voltage single channel
hardware using:
1X DVD-R DL ReWritable
1X DVD ROM
2X Sata HDD
1X Table Fan

Solution
Wattage can be found by multiplying the amperage (18A) by the voltage (12V). What this means is you got screwed, because your power supply is only able to output 220W on the 12V rail (which is the most important one). Even if you total the wattage for the other rails as well (the 3.3V and 5V ones), you barely break over 400W total.

So I can't really speak to whether or not you'd be able to run the 7750 off of that.

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
so, because my psu have 1 6-pin power connector, would my psu at least can run hd 7770 or any graphic card with 6-pin power connector? and, any programs or at least instrument to calculate actual wattage of psu (not psu calculator that for system)

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Wattage can be found by multiplying the amperage (18A) by the voltage (12V). What this means is you got screwed, because your power supply is only able to output 220W on the 12V rail (which is the most important one). Even if you total the wattage for the other rails as well (the 3.3V and 5V ones), you barely break over 400W total.

So I can't really speak to whether or not you'd be able to run the 7750 off of that.

Solution

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

yeah. should wonder that. d*** i forgot about that, physics... well, the price what you get. i should knew that. i just need to replace my psu as soon as possible... my system currently is at least 330W. so, i need to find at least 400W psu (dont care old or new as long it has at least 6-pin power socket and all necessary sockets) for less than $74 in US or E 57 in euro.

my budget is only for upgrading cpu or graphic card. but psu is my second priority.

so, any quality (or at least >350W with 1 6-pin power connectors) psu under that range? i dont care for second-handed or old as long as still supplies 400W? also, what psu would you recommend?

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
If you're looking for a new PSU, then the only brands you'll want to look at are Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, NZXT, SilverPower and Super Flower. Almost every single one of the power supplies made by those brands are strong, reliable units (Antec may have one or two sketchy ones, but even those are better than what you have). The ones you'll most likely be able to get are Corsairs - they seem to be pretty global. Some models to look for:

- Corsair CX500-V2 (or CX600-V2)
- Seasonic S12 and S12II 520W
- Antec Neo Eco, EarthWatts, or High-Current Gamer 520W
- XFX PRO550W Core Edition
- NZXT Hale 82 550W

Edit: I don't know where you'll be buying from, so I don't know what selection and prices you'll have. If you can't find or afford any of those, but there are others that you think might be okay, let us know and we can tell you if it's good.

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

ok, corsair, seasonic, antec, etc.... got it.

thank you very much!! i want to select you as best answer but thats is out of question (this is my second question). so i would choose another one. but still, many thanks

well, if i got a cheap one, i need to see the rating first before the watt. can say thats my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.