Computer upgrade questions (PSU)

MrNicholas1029

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I am currently using a Lenovo A70 (Type 0889). It is a small form factor computer. I think the RAM and graphics are not good enough. So I am planning on getting an upgrade for both RAM and graphics card. Since not all graphics cards fit in my case, it is hard to find one that fits. However I managed to find one that suits me. But I realised that my PSU does not have enough wattage for any graphics card, I must upgrade that from a stock 180w to a decent 400w one in order for my graphics card to work. I have a few questions to ask since I know nothing about computer upgrading. Only
answer if you are 100% sure about it. I don't need you to put the source of information, but i want answers that are correct. My computer was bought about 6 months ago and i don't take any risks. This are my pc specs:

Intel Pentium E6600 3.06Ghz
2 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 32-bit
(These are the only specs i am sure about. If you need more, I will try to find it.)

Here are the upgrades I want:

AMD Radeon HD 6570 (Low profile/1GB)
1x 4GB DDR3 RAM or 2x 2GB DDR3 RAM

Here are my questions:

1. Will a 400w damage any of my components (including motherboard, RAM, CPU(65w) and HDD)?
2. What are the high reputation brands for RAM and PSU?
3. If a 400w PSU works, will my CPU overheat/malfunction?
4 Will my fan run at higher RPM due to higher wattage PSU and/or possibly burn up?
5 Any long term problems after the installation of the new PSU?

Again, I would like correct answers since I am only 13 years old and I don't want to ruin my computer.

Thank you for answering! :)

Solution
1. Will a 400w damage any of my components (including motherboard, RAM, CPU(65w) and HDD)? NO however go for at least 500w then you can move it to a new machine if you get into PC gaming. (Antec Corsair OCZ Thermaltake etc)

2. What are the high reputation brands for RAM and PSU? Check out the article on toms hardware with the budget gaming pc build and copy that if you get unsure

3. If a 400w PSU works, will my CPU overheat/malfunction? No it will not the PC control voltage

4 Will my fan run at higher RPM due to higher wattage PSU and/or possibly burn up? No it will not the PC controls fan speeds

5 Any long term problems after the installation of the new PSU? Nope

If you are gonna game on that pc maybe get the AMD 6670 you should...

da22

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
1. Will a 400w damage any of my components (including motherboard, RAM, CPU(65w) and HDD)? NO however go for at least 500w then you can move it to a new machine if you get into PC gaming. (Antec Corsair OCZ Thermaltake etc)

2. What are the high reputation brands for RAM and PSU? Check out the article on toms hardware with the budget gaming pc build and copy that if you get unsure

3. If a 400w PSU works, will my CPU overheat/malfunction? No it will not the PC control voltage

4 Will my fan run at higher RPM due to higher wattage PSU and/or possibly burn up? No it will not the PC controls fan speeds

5 Any long term problems after the installation of the new PSU? Nope

If you are gonna game on that pc maybe get the AMD 6670 you should be able to play on medium settings then. Again check Toms hardware Best video card for Money article.

Good luck!

Solution