Status
Not open for further replies.

adalott

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I am looking to replace my aging GTX 460 768mb.
I plan on picking up three 1080p monitors in the not too distant future.

I know that the GTX 680 is a faster card, but would the 7970 edge it out at 5760x1080 due to it's far higher memory bandwidth? And would it be better for future games in 5760x1080 or is the GTX 680 the way to go?

Thanks,

Adam.

Solution
Hi there. I made a new thread myself about this and not even about the standard 7970 but the lightning one. The conclussion that I got from it after all that fella's in Tom's hardware gave me their opinion, is that even in a 3 monitor scenario the gtx 680 is still better, why? Well 1st the gtx 680 was designed for that purpose and it does it very very well with only 1 card. I know there's a big discussion about the 2gb memory from the gtx 680, but take into account that games will hardly demand more than 2gb memory at least the next 2 years, all due to the console demand (they wont give 2gb vram to a $300 console specially if it is going to have 2 cards) .

My advise is go to the gtx 680, nvm the vram and if you can in the future make...

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hi there. I made a new thread myself about this and not even about the standard 7970 but the lightning one. The conclussion that I got from it after all that fella's in Tom's hardware gave me their opinion, is that even in a 3 monitor scenario the gtx 680 is still better, why? Well 1st the gtx 680 was designed for that purpose and it does it very very well with only 1 card. I know there's a big discussion about the 2gb memory from the gtx 680, but take into account that games will hardly demand more than 2gb memory at least the next 2 years, all due to the console demand (they wont give 2gb vram to a $300 console specially if it is going to have 2 cards) .

My advise is go to the gtx 680, nvm the vram and if you can in the future make it sli and it will run anything at that res far way better than 7970 crossfire.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.