EDGE coverage map?

In <1123513962.667975.72960@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 8 Aug 2005
08:12:42 -0700, dmartin@newarts.com wrote:

>Where might I find an EDGE coverage map?
>
>Is most of GPRS now EDGE?

"Google is your friend."
<http://www.google.com/search?q=cingular+edge+coverage>

In <1123520512.894693.76430@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 8 Aug 2005
10:01:52 -0700, dmartin@newarts.com wrote:

>Thanks John,
>
>I had googled but had only followed up on the cingular links. I
>couldn't find anything there.
>
>The PCMag link
>http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,s=25310&iid=99634,00.asp is
>just what I was looking for.
>
>It appears that the coverage is broad. Time for some new hardware!

The first link at my search
<http://www.google.com/search?q=cingular+edge+coverage> is EDGE - Cingular
Wireless <http://www.cingular.com/sbusiness/edge>. In the top right links
section is Coverage Maps
<http://www.cingular.com/refresh/common/estore_zipcode?selinfo=maps>.
Unfortunately, that link isn't working properly, something I didn't notice,
and for which I apologize

A bit more digging finds the official Cingular data coverage map at
<http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/html/Maps/dataconnect_map.htm>

If you compare the maps, you'll find that the PCMag map somewhat exaggerates
EDGE coverage (e.g., around Denver).

Actual higher speed coverage will be less than even the Cingular map, since
EDGE speed is directly related to signal strength -- in a poor signal area,
EDGE speed will be greatly reduced. It can also be affected by traffic load
on a given cell, since fewer time slots can be allocated for data as load
increases.

> The first link at my search
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=cingular+edge+coverage> is EDGE - Cingular
> Wireless <http://www.cingular.com/sbusiness/edge>. In the top right links
> section is Coverage Maps
> <http://www.cingular.com/refresh/common/estore_zipcode?selinfo=maps>.
> Unfortunately, that link isn't working properly, something I didn't notice,
> and for which I apologize

It comes and goes. It didn't work for me, then it did, for 94559, leading
me to the

> A bit more digging finds the official Cingular data coverage map at
> <http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/html/Maps/dataconnect_map.htm>

Map, but unless I need new glasses, that's a little too large of a scale
for me to find anything useful. It looks like it covers the bay area
pretty well, but I can barely make out the Oakland and San Francisco names,
much less the limits of the coverage.

--
---

In <dd8g83$clv$3@blue.rahul.net> on Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:44:51 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXEDGEX.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> The first link at my search
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=cingular+edge+coverage> is EDGE - Cingular
>> Wireless <http://www.cingular.com/sbusiness/edge>. In the top right links
>> section is Coverage Maps
>> <http://www.cingular.com/refresh/common/estore_zipcode?selinfo=maps>.
>> Unfortunately, that link isn't working properly, something I didn't notice,
>> and for which I apologize
>
>It comes and goes. It didn't work for me, then it did, for 94559, leading
>me to the
>
>> A bit more digging finds the official Cingular data coverage map at
>> <http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/html/Maps/dataconnect_map.htm>
>
>Map, but unless I need new glasses, that's a little too large of a scale
>for me to find anything useful. It looks like it covers the bay area
>pretty well, but I can barely make out the Oakland and San Francisco names,
>much less the limits of the coverage.

Much more detailed maps are available for GPRS. These more detailed don't
distinguish between GPRS and EGPRS(EDGE), but I've gotten more meaningful
results on the difference than using the national map alone by putting the
maps together.