Your question

Network cable unplugged

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 20, 2011 10:49:02 AM

Hi all,

I have two PC's connecting to a DSL router with via Ethernet LAN. My wife's old PC used to be on XP SP3 but I've now replaced it with a new one running Win 7 x64. This is when the trouble started... Steps were as follows:

1) LAN connection was working perfectly on the old PC with XP SP3, together with my own.
2) I plugged the new PC into the spot currently occupied by my own, so that I could format, install Windows & Office, do updates, etc, while backing up everything on the old machine. The LAN connection was working fine on both machines.
2) I unplugged the old PC and replaced it with the new one, and behold! No Ethernet connection; all I get is the "Network cable unplugged" message. No green light on the NIC or the router.

The very same NIC and cable were working fine (albeit not together) only 5 minutes previous to making the swap. I haven't the slightest idea what could have gone wrong. All the ports on the router are still working with my PC.

Any suggestions or similar experiences? How do I troubleshoot this? I could obviously swap NIC's and cables, but before I start yanking hardware I'd like to know if there is a simpler solution.

Thanks in advance.

More about : network cable unplugged

June 20, 2011 4:16:25 PM

did the network connection change from 100Mb to Giga?

make sure the network cable is plugged in right on both ends.

try a different network cable.
June 20, 2011 4:19:45 PM

Nope, NIC's are 100Mbps only. Cable was definitely plugged in correctly.
June 20, 2011 4:33:49 PM

have you checked the condition of the cable? did it get kinked or strained?
June 20, 2011 4:37:28 PM

Not to my knowledge, I will try plugging the old PC back to see if it still works.
June 22, 2011 7:29:13 AM

Quick update: The cable still works. I tested it on my own PC and it lights up straight away. Still no go in the other PC though. I downloaded Realtek's LAN tester software, and also looked around in the BIOS. Results for the various cable pairs report as:

Open
Normal
Short
Short

I'm not entirely sure what this means. Is it safe to assume something is broken on the NIC side? Unfortunately I only have onboard NIC's, no spare lying around to test with.
!