Sign in with
Your question

AMD A10-5800k or Phenom II x4 955

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 5:43:58 PM

I need an opinion about this APU. Currently I have a Phenom II x4 955 stock clock and an ASUS M4A785-T with an integrated HD 4200.

I can't play too much games because the quality is horrible, and I can't get too much FPS at Higher quality.

So, my options are:

Stay with my Phenom II and my ASUS Mobo, and try to get a 7770 or something like that.
Or buy the new Trinity A8 or A10 and a new motherboard from ASUS or Gigabyte.

I really don't play too much games because of my integrated graphics right now, but I really don't want to buy a Discrete graphics card because I'll need a new PSU and maybe a Case with good airflow.

I have an Hyper 212+, so I can overclock the A10 or A8.

I want to play some games at acceptable FPS and quality, and have the option to add a discrete graphics card later, but I don't want to be very expensive like getting a new GPU, PSU and maybe a Case.

Sorry for my english.
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 5:58:11 PM

A discrete GPU would be the biggest upgrade with less things to swap around.
The 7770 doesn't draw much power for a discrete. It's under 100W. You may be fine with a 350/400W PSU.

An A8/A10 iGPU can't touch the 7770 gaming wise.
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 13, 2012 12:28:49 AM

+1^
The HD 7770 and the PhIIx4 955BE would be a much better gamer than the APU. And a lot less work/expense than rebuilding. Besides, you will be able to legally use your existing Win7 O/S if it is an OEM. What resolution is your monitor?
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 12:41:46 AM

I agree with the above.

On a side note, if OP's resolution is 1650x1050 or lower, OP will have no problem maxing out any title with the HD7770.
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 13, 2012 12:49:03 AM

@mocchan
That's pretty much what I was getting at. If he's gaming at 1080p he will have to back off on some eye candy on some games.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2012 1:03:55 AM

The resolution is 1080p.
I'm new in this because I can't play too much with this GPU, so one question: In a 1080p Tv if the game doesn't look good in that resolution, I can change it to 720p or something like that?

I think i'll go with the dedicated GPU, but I have to buy a PSU and maybe a case.
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 1:09:06 AM

Yes, you can change resolutions within Windows. What PSU are you currently using? The HD7770 isn't a very power hungry card so you could run it off of a 400w unit :)  As long as the PSU is of decent qualitly, however.
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 1:09:37 AM

clutchc said:
@mocchan
That's pretty much what I was getting at. If he's gaming at 1080p he will have to back off on some eye candy on some games.

:lol: 

But yes, very true about backing off of Eye-Candy.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2012 1:15:30 AM

mocchan said:
Yes, you can change resolutions within Windows. What PSU are you currently using? The HD7770 isn't a very power hungry card so you could run it off of a 400w unit :)  As long as the PSU is of decent qualitly, however.

The PSU is a Pixxo Jaguar 600 watt, generic PSU so I ca't trust the specified wattage. I'll get the PC Power and Cooling MkIII Silencer 500 watt (really long name!) and maybe the NZXT Tempest 410 (maybe later)

Will the Phenom II 955 bottleneck the 7770?
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 13, 2012 2:01:08 AM

jrayx said:
The PSU is a Pixxo Jaguar 600 watt, generic PSU so I ca't trust the specified wattage. I'll get the PC Power and Cooling MkIII Silencer 500 watt (really long name!) and maybe the NZXT Tempest 410 (maybe later)

Will the Phenom II 955 bottleneck the 7770?

The 955 will be fine with the HD 7770. And, being a Black Edition, you can easily overclock it by simply increasing the multilpier.
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-w...

That processor was made to be O/C'd.
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 2:02:24 AM

Good thing you're going to get a new PSU :lol: 

And no, your X4 955 won't bottleneck the HD7770 :)  You've got nothing to worry about!
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2012 3:00:07 AM

Which video card you recommend? Here in mexico, it's difficult to find a good graphics card at a good price, so I have some options:

XFX 7750 Black Edition Double D $147 Dollars
XFX 7770 Black Edition Core Edition $170 Dollars
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7770 $175 Dollars

Maybe I can get better prices, but I have to check it later.
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 13, 2012 3:06:17 AM

Either HD 7770 is prefered. I have had lots of experience with Sapphire. All good. Never had an XFX card. But here in the US that Sapphire card is going for $125 if you want a price comparison.
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 6:39:17 AM

Ahhh, I see. In that case, consider what Clutchc has said :)  All vendors are very reliable, just look for features and price to ultimately make your decision. (I also second Sapphire, I've always had the best experiences with them when time came to RMA or contact Customer Service :lol:  )
October 13, 2012 6:43:40 AM

Cazalan said:
A discrete GPU would be the biggest upgrade with less things to swap around.
The 7770 doesn't draw much power for a discrete. It's under 100W. You may be fine with a 350/400W PSU.

An A8/A10 iGPU can't touch the 7770 gaming wise.

The 7770 says minimum, 450 watt psu.
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 7:16:34 AM

cobra5000 said:
The 7770 says minimum, 450 watt psu.

Minimum for an entire system, the HD7770 only uses around 100w of power, OP's current configuration will use around ~150w of power. Total power usage = ~250w MAXIMUM. Thus, 350-400w will be more than plenty.
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2012 7:33:25 PM

Great so I think I'll buy the Sapphire 7770 Ghz Edition a PSU and maybe a case (I'm going to need a lot of money :??: )

I have some questions: as you guys say, the 7770 won't bottleneck the Phenom II, but If I don't get acceptable FPS, Overclocking the Phenom II makes a difference? (I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+, so I can overclock a little)
I have a 1920x1080 Tv, but I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I can play at 720p maybe.

And how future proof is my system (I know, nothing is future proof, but it's an expression) ?

I have a Phenom II x4 955 (Stock clock)
ASUS M4A785-T (I run integrated graphics the HD 4200, sucks for games, but as I said, I'm going to get the Sapphire 7770)
SAMSUNG 1 TB HDD
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
4 Gb Kingston Hyper X blu 1333 Mhz (I'll add another later)
Generic 600w PSU (I'll change it with a Pc P&C Silencer MKIII 500 watts)
Cooler Master Elite 430 (maybe I'll get a NZXT Tempest 410, or a suggestion under 70 bucks)

The upgrades are going to take a lot of time because right now I don't have all the money (This is the reason of the question above)

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english.
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2012 8:12:12 PM

Save your money for the needed upgrades you may decide you need in the future. The HD 7770 is going to be such an improvement over your integrated, it'll 'knock your socks off'. (also an expression ;)  )

Switching your graphically intense games to 720p will allow those few games that can't quite get to max settings w/good framerates to play with much better FPS. O/Cing the 955 will help a bit, but the PhenomII isn't really a drag on that card. But yes, take the multiplier up .5 at a time untill temps get close to the max (62C)... or the processor gets unstable when running Prime95.

When you're ready to talk cases, come on back. Prices/models have a way of changing fast.

Btw, your English is great. My Spanish is barely good enough to order a beer in a Mexican restaurant.
a c 109 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 10:51:44 PM

clutchc said:
Save your money for the needed upgrades you may decide you need in the future. The HD 7770 is going to be such an improvement over your integrated, it'll 'knock your socks off'. (also an expression ;)  )

Switching your graphically intense games to 720p will allow those few games that can't quite get to max settings w/good framerates to play with much better FPS. O/Cing the 955 will help a bit, but the PhenomII isn't really a drag on that card. But yes, take the multiplier up .5 at a time untill temps get close to the max (62C)... or the processor gets unstable when running Prime95.

When you're ready to talk cases, come on back. Prices/models have a way of changing fast.

Btw, your English is great. My Spanish is barely good enough to order a beer in a Mexican restaurant.

:lol: 

But yes, clutch is 100% correct, again, I agree with what he has to say here.

October 18, 2012 9:53:45 AM

My ANTEC 300 has been an excellent case since I upgraded the GPU with my stock A6 setup. All the research I've done suggests getting a Phenom II x4 955/965BE instead of any of the new APUs, for gaming purposes. But with JUST the APU I was astonished at how well it worked as an integrated concept. I was running Sleeping dogs at MED and mass effect 2 to the wall. Everything looked better than a console, that's for sure. As soon as I got my 6870 all games were running like butter except some free-world IE Skyrim GTAIV. Only thing holding back is that my A6 is a 2.2Ghz model and stock mobo doesn't overclock. Just a few more weeks!
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 18, 2012 5:42:55 PM

jrayx said:

I have some questions: as you guys say, the 7770 won't bottleneck the Phenom II, but If I don't get acceptable FPS, Overclocking the Phenom II makes a difference?

Just for the record, slow graphic cards don't bottle neck a processor. It's the other way around. Slow processors can bottle neck a graphic card.
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 6:21:11 PM

clutchc said:
Just for the record, slow graphic cards don't bottle neck a processor. It's the other way around. Slow processors can bottle neck a graphic card.

Oh I didn't know that, well at least I've got a good CPU :D 

Quote:
My ANTEC 300 has been an excellent case since I upgraded the GPU with my stock A6 setup. All the research I've done suggests getting a Phenom II x4 955/965BE instead of any of the new APUs, for gaming purposes. But with JUST the APU I was astonished at how well it worked as an integrated concept. I was running Sleeping dogs at MED and mass effect 2 to the wall. Everything looked better than a console, that's for sure. As soon as I got my 6870 all games were running like butter except some free-world IE Skyrim GTAIV. Only thing holding back is that my A6 is a 2.2Ghz model and stock mobo doesn't overclock. Just a few more weeks!

I'm thinking the same, I was going to get the A10, a new motherboard socket FM2 (And I have the Hyper 212+) but after some opinions, with a discrete GPU the Phenom II performs better than the A10. I might have to get a lot of money for a 7770 and a PSU, but I think Is the best for me right now.

I'll like to see some games played with that A6 and the benchmarks to see If it beats a Phenom II 955.

Sorry for my bad english
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:20:46 AM

What about this: ASRock FM2A85X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and the A10 5800k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

I was searching comparison between the Phenom II x4 955 and the A10 5800k, and the A10 is not that far from the Phenom II 955.
It doubles the L2 cache of the Phenom II, but lacks the 6 MB L3 of the phenom.
It has a higher stock clock (3.8 Ghz and 4.2 Turbo Boost)
Unlocked (Easy overclock)
TDP 100 watts (Phenom II x4 125 watts)
I have the Hyper 212+ (So I'll not be using the cheap cooler of the A10)

There's a lot of videos showing the performance of the A10 IGP and it looks pretty good. I was thinking getting a 7750 or 7770 with the Phenom II, but my processor it's getting old like my motherboard.

I don't need to play games at 1080p at ultra, just 720p with medium details at acceptable frame rates. (Right now I'm playing COD MW3 with the HD4200 IGP of my motherboard, all low and still runs awful 10 to 30 FPS, so I think I'll get better performance with the A10)

I have a 2 x Kingston HyperX Blu 1333 Mhz 4 GB (So I don't know if I'll get good performance)
a c 307 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 10, 2012 3:01:20 PM

While the A10 APUs are more modern than the "old" Phenom IIs, you won't see any improvement in gaming with that processor over your 955. In fact, you may even see a tiny downgrade in some games. And the Phenom II Black Editions are just as 'easy' to overclock as the APU. The niche for the APUs is for low end gaming rigs without the need for an expensive discrete card. I would stick to what you have now and getting the card discussed.

You seem to have the urge to do a new build, however. If you end up talking yourself into building a new gaming rig from the ground up, I would advise against an APU unless you want to avoid buying a discrete card. In that case, the APU would be a good choice. But then, that board would be overkill.
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 7:45:45 PM

But you mean no improvement over my IGP HD 4200 or the possible 7750-7770?

I don't have to do another one, but I'm looking good upgrades because my system sucks at gaming with that HD 4200, 10 to 20 FPS in MW3 all low is annoying (I build this rig before knowing anything useful about video cards or processors, so I didn't know how good that processor and IGP was).

If I add a 7770, I'll have to add a PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Sapphire 7770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seasonic M12II 520 watts (I can change it for a Seasonic 430 watts, I think is more than enough)

But the question is, will this configuration last?

I just want to know if It's necessary to upgrade now (I don't play games to often with the HD 4200 , but for web browsing, homework and multimedia is good) or wait to get a more capable system with a good GPU and CPU and brand new hardware in 2013 with more budget and more knowledge.
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 8:31:11 PM

Quote:
I mean no improvement over either one when compared to the PhII X4 955BE.

Almost any discrete card will be a night and day improvement over the integrated video. Heck, a slow dual core Athlon I and the 7770 will be a major improvement over that integrated video and any CPU. Remember; in gaming, framerate is first and foremost about the graphic card.

The PSU you have now ( http://www.pcel.com/Pixxo--60134 ) has a 36A +12V rail. Basically, it is an over-rated 350-400W PSU. Plenty for the HD 7770. It has a single PCIe power cable, so it was intended for use with mid-range cards. It will be fine for that card.

If it were me, I would simply add the new card and see how it performs. Trust me; you'll like the improvement. You'll think you just upgraded your processor too because now it can use its full capabilities with the new card. Then if you get the urge in the future, you already have a decent card to build around. The HD 7770 will perform beautifully at 720P and beyond. I once had its earlier cousin, the HD 5770 paired with a dual core E6700 at 1680x1050. It was able to run max/near max settings in most games at that resolution.

Yeah, a good GPU beats any IGP but, should I wait to get a better CPU and Mobo (I like AMD CPU's because they're cheap, Intel is great but it's really expensive for a CPU) and possibly a powerful GPU (Also a quality PSU and a nice quiet case)
I mean start fresh with new hardware (I'll save money to upgrade all once) and if something gets outdated I'll just change it.
!