Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Optional upgrade for a thinkcentre m57 video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 16, 2012 6:40:44 AM

looking to upgrade my brothers video card in his thinkcentre m57. from doing the research these systems have a 250w power supply. after looking at my brothers system it has a riser card to fit a full size pcie card. the issue is i don't see any 6pin conectors and it can only fit a single slot card (no attached cooler). all this system needs to do is play diablo 3 at a playable frame rate. system is a core 2 duo 3.00 ghz 4gb ram. best card for less then 150
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2012 7:43:57 AM

You will need a power supply upgrade because a 250w is not enough even for most of the weakest video cards. What is your display's resolution? If you don't know what resolution you intend to play at, then you won't know what graphics card that you want. If I remember correctly, Diablo 3 is a fairly GPU weak game so you could probably get by with a cheap card, but you would still need a better PSU.
m
0
l
April 16, 2012 2:55:32 PM

blazorthon said:
You will need a power supply upgrade because a 250w is not enough even for most of the weakest video cards. What is your display's resolution? If you don't know what resolution you intend to play at, then you won't know what graphics card that you want. If I remember correctly, Diablo 3 is a fairly GPU weak game so you could probably get by with a cheap card, but you would still need a better PSU.


Unfortunatly a new power supply is not an option since it is a special power supply. His resolution is 1440 x 900. Diablo 3 is a very week Gpu weak game but I doubt his intel 3100 integrated graphics will play it.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2012 7:26:29 PM

Well, maybe a 7750 will be a viable option. I'm not well versed with Diablo 3 besides knowing it's not an intensive game on hardware, so about what do you think would be necessary to run it decently @ 1440x900 with decent settings? Could a 6670 or 7750 handle it, or maybe a 6570?
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 5:35:25 AM

blazorthon said:
Well, maybe a 7750 will be a viable option. I'm not well versed with Diablo 3 besides knowing it's not an intensive game on hardware, so about what do you think would be necessary to run it decently @ 1440x900 with decent settings? Could a 6670 or 7750 handle it, or maybe a 6570?


looks like the recommended video card is a geforce 260 or a radeon 4870.
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 17, 2012 6:02:09 AM

nice102 said:
looks like the recommended video card is a geforce 260 or a radeon 4870.


The 7750 should out-perform the 4870. 4870=5770=6770=7750 roughly.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 17, 2012 7:31:33 AM

There's no way either 260 or 4870 will run on a 250W. Your best bet would be 7750, but that's pushing it too.
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 17, 2012 11:34:05 PM

Sunius said:
There's no way either 260 or 4870 will run on a 250W. Your best bet would be 7750, but that's pushing it too.

+1
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 18, 2012 5:05:13 AM

To run either a 260 or a 4870, within reason, would require a 350w or 400w PSU with appropriate PCIe power connectors, at the least.

Check your PSU's maximum 12v rail amperage. Knowing the wattage is not as important as knowing the maximum amperage on the 12v rail because that is the voltage of power that the graphics card uses more or less exclusively. The same is true for the CPU. Other components also use it, but usually not exclusively. What is the exact model of CPU that you have? With a 250w PSU, even a 7750 (with a mere 55w TDP, less than that of almost all desktop CPUs) is probably pushing it, unless your Core 2 Duo is a 65w model.

Just to make sure that the math is done right, you might also want to check the 12v power usage of your storage drives. If the 7750, CPU, and drives are even close to the maximum rated 12v amperage of your PSU, then it's probably not feasible to have a video card with a greater than 45w TDP because we also need to consider that the motherboard and RAM also use some power and you do not want a PSU to be fully loaded because doing so cuts down energy efficiency and life span greatly. Trust me on this, you do not want that PSU to fail because a PSU failure has the potential to take other components with it, especially the motherboard, graphics card, and CPU (although less common, it can take down storage drives too). Low wattage and OEM/generic PSUs are known for not being very stable when you push them, so don't push yours too far if you can avoid doing so.
m
0
l
!