Sign in with
Your question

'Cannot Display This Video Mode'

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2012 11:10:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I didn't know the best place to go for answers to the problems I am having however this seems like a better place than anywhere. I recently built a new computer (specs below) and have been having intermittent issues upon power on/restart with my monitor displaying 'Cannot Display This Video Mode' and above that 'Optimum Resolution 1920x1200 60Hz'. I may have to power off/power on the computer one or two times before the computer loads completely to windows 7 login. Other times - the computer starts completely fine. As this is a fresh build (1 week old), I have loaded all the newest drivers from the appropriate websites.

It is driving me crazy as everything else works flawlessly. I have no problem playing any games in their highest settings (SWTOR, BF3, WOW, ETC.) and have no issues with anything once I can make it to the windows login. I have been reading forum after forum to find a solution to my problem without any luck. I read that unplugging the monitor may help the issue, and the last time it gave me that video mode message, I tried that - and it worked. I am running the monitor (DELL EF248WFP in 1920x1200 resolution, 60Hz) through the DVI connector on my MSI HD 7970.

Please help!!

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Intel I5-2500K
Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)
MSI HD 7970
125GB SSD (Windows 7 - Boot Drive)
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Monitor: Dell E248WFP

More about : display video mode

a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 11:08:57 AM

knowlan22 said:
Hi Guys,

I didn't know the best place to go for answers to the problems I am having however this seems like a better place than anywhere. I recently built a new computer (specs below) and have been having intermittent issues upon power on/restart with my monitor displaying 'Cannot Display This Video Mode' and above that 'Optimum Resolution 1920x1200 60Hz'. I may have to power off/power on the computer one or two times before the computer loads completely to windows 7 login. Other times - the computer starts completely fine. As this is a fresh build (1 week old), I have loaded all the newest drivers from the appropriate websites.

It is driving me crazy as everything else works flawlessly. I have no problem playing any games in their highest settings (SWTOR, BF3, WOW, ETC.) and have no issues with anything once I can make it to the windows login. I have been reading forum after forum to find a solution to my problem without any luck. I read that unplugging the monitor may help the issue, and the last time it gave me that video mode message, I tried that - and it worked. I am running the monitor (DELL EF248WFP in 1920x1200 resolution, 60Hz) through the DVI connector on my MSI HD 7970.

Please help!!

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Intel I5-2500K
Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)
MSI HD 7970
125GB SSD (Windows 7 - Boot Drive)
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Monitor: Dell E248WFP

Preset Display Modes

Some graphics ctlr's needed fix for 60hz, but you have latest drivers, just thought I would mention that. And 60hz is the preset, but you might try another freq setting - believe range goes to 75hz.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 2:13:27 PM

The fact that you were able to get the monitor to recognize the display frequency by unplugging it and plugging it back in without turning off the system tells me that it is your display that is at fault for not recognizing the display frequency correctly the first time.

If you bought the monitor from Dell I suggest that you contact their support as this might be a sign of other failure that is just waiting to happen.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2012 10:09:46 PM

Well I bought the monitor a few years back with my Dell XPS 630i system. I didn't really feel the need to upgrade the monitor with my new build, but maybe it's time to go with a new HDMI monitor!

I heard that these errors can sometimes be caused by the very quick startups on SSD drives. Windows 7 literally loads in 3-5 seconds after bootup.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2012 2:14:24 PM

Silly question: What resolution are you using when this occurs? Since it appears the moniter thinks you are using something besides 1920x1200@60Hz...

Also, I'm pretty sure single-link DVI can handle that resolution, but you *might* want to double check that...
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:45:15 PM

I am always in 1920x1200/60Hz. If I go any smaller, the icons start to look blurry.

It has been about a week and I haven't had any issues with it. Not sure if the problem is resolved or it just is lying dormant.
m
l
October 29, 2012 3:41:03 PM

I get the same problem, still don't have a fix for it. This only happens in startup and I would have to power off the monitor and back on for it to work.
m
l
November 12, 2012 12:47:06 PM

I have the same problem (New Dell XPS8500 HD7870 + old Dell E248WFP monitor). I only noticed the problem after I installed a SSD (Intel 330 180GB), but I installed the SSD right after I received the pc, so I didn't use it much in its original confguration.

When I start the pc, the bios and Windows startup logo are displayed, but when the windows login is shown at high resolution (1920x1200), the monitor shows "Cannot display this video mode". This happens like 1 out of 4 times. When I set my monitor for analog input and back to digital input, the monitor displays the Windows login screen.

Upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 8 Professional (upgrade offer from Microsoft). Did not make a difference. Used newest drivers from AMD.

Anyone?
m
l
August 16, 2013 3:57:52 AM

knowlan22 said:
Well I bought the monitor a few years back with my Dell XPS 630i system. I didn't really feel the need to upgrade the monitor with my new build, but maybe it's time to go with a new HDMI monitor!

I heard that these errors can sometimes be caused by the very quick startups on SSD drives. Windows 7 literally loads in 3-5 seconds after bootup.

m
l
!