PC displays on LED but not CRT screens

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hey All

I've got a weird problem that I havent any idea how to solve.

Im fixing up a 2nd Hand P4 PC for my uncle. He bought it from someone else who had the PC standing there for months...
I installed windows on it by plugging the master IDE drive into my pc. While that loaded I cleant up the insides.
When done, i put the P4 back together and booted it up on its own, using my Samsung 23" LED as a Display Unit. Everything was fine.

I walked over to him and plugged the PC into his 17" CRT and nothing shows up. I unplug everything, wait a while, plug in and switch on again. No Display.
So i took his CRT with me, and plugged it into my PC. Works fine!

Its not the onboard VGA port, because my LED displayed via that.
Its not the CRT screen, because it displayed my PC's desktop.

So what is the problem then? What am I missing here?

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Thanx man! I'll try that tonight and see if it works. I should mention that the PC was initially displaying on the CRT before it gave problems. So somehow, something was messed with and it doesnt display anymore.

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hey I managed to fix the problem. I took out the CMOS battery and let it stand outside the PC for 15min and then put it back in. Everything was fine and working.

AAh yes I see the spam. But is it bad? How does it affect me?

Glad to see that your problem has been solved. The spam-bot isn't a serious problem, just a nuisance. It probably won't post here again. I'm seeing more and more of them lately. Perhaps the spammers are simply learning of Tom's fairly large (and growing) amount of readers and forum-goers?

I have to say, before this month, I'd never seen spam in the tech support and conversation forums, just in the news articles. I mean seriously, how many people will see it in the forums? Five, at the most? It doesn't seem like there's much point to spamming the forums, besides that it can't be hidden except for when a mod sees it and deletes it.

Of course, it could be that many of the tech support forums have at least one person involved that often isn't very tech savvy and might click the link (IE the thread starter isn't always as technically minded as us). Still, at best the spammers can only expect one or two clicks per forum thread and even that is being optimistic.

I suppose that due to it being in a more personal forum than the news, the chances of the few readers/posters who are here clicking it might go up.

TRENDING THREADS