Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD7870 FPS issues(please help)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2012 8:45:37 AM

Hi so i have made many posts about this and no one can seem to help me fix the problem. I have the Gigabyte oc'd HD7870 and it is not working how everyone says it is suppose to work. I payed a decent amount of money for this card and i just want it too work properly :/  Sorry for being so impatient :p  I have already reformated my PC once to try and fix these problems with fresh drivers of everything but apparently that did not work.

On BF3 I get 30-40 fps on ultra with pretty bad stuttering.
GTA4 20-30 fps with almost unplayable screen skipping/stuttering on high settings
Skyrim runs pretty good but not ideal. 40-60 fps on average with good highs and pretty bad lows
All the benchmarks for these games on the HD7870 are a lot better FPS wise then mine by far.

I have all the latest drivers including Catalyst 12.3 for my hd7870 and here are my specs.

AMD HD7870 with 2gb of VRAM
650W PSU
Motherboard: Gateway TBGM01
Processor: Intel i7 920 2.7ghz
Operating system Windows vista
12g of RAM
Directx 11

If any info is needed let me know. ANY help is appreciated greatly. Thank you.

More about : hd7870 fps issues

a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 9:16:37 AM

If you have Windows Vista, then you only support up to DX 10, even if the card supports DX 11. In addition, Windows Vista's implementation of Aero tends to be more of a hardware hog due to some unaccelerated raster operations and double buffering in the DWM. I'd upgrade (via clean install) to Windows 7 and see if that solves your problem.
Score
April 16, 2012 9:19:00 AM

Thanks i have been told to upgrade before. Is it easy to do? Time consuming? pricey? Never did it myself before :p 

edit: by the way are you sure i'm not running dx11? dxdiag tells me i am
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 9:27:06 AM

It's not really anything different than a standard OS reinstallation except that you're installing a different OS. You can get an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (you want that edition) from retailers like Newegg. An OEM copy is a non-transferrable license (the computer takes the license to the grave when it dies). A retail license is transferrable to another computer if you remove Windows from the original. You can also buy a retail license through the Microsoft online store to get it more quickly (if you've got a good internet connection). I personally would recommend the MS online store (that's what I did), because it's super simple with no disc to keep track of and it stores your product key too. It's only $20 more than the standard OEM copy that comes on a disc and is locked to 1 machine. You can save money with the upgrade version since you've already got Windows installed.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/Windows-...

EDIT: Make sure you download the 64-bit version (after you purchase) if you go through the MS store.
Score
April 16, 2012 9:27:12 AM

There are many possible things that cause your card behaves the way it does. No wonder you haven't gotten answers after many posts. First, you have to narrow down the problems, like try the card on a different system or try a different card with similar specs on this system. You can also tell us more of what measures you've taken.

Last resort: RMA
Score
April 16, 2012 9:33:28 AM

Thanks aicom i will try that.

@sonny Well i had the gtx 285 in my PC before this card and it ran pretty well for a outdated card. What do you mean by what measures i have taken?
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 9:38:28 AM

to the poster that said Vista does not support DX11...... sorry, you are WRONG........ it does. and the op is right when he says his machine tells him it's there.

sorry op. if the machine were here I could run through some stuff...... but will be watching thread.
Score
April 16, 2012 9:50:03 AM

Thanks swifty. I'm honestly not sure what to try other then upgrading to windows 7. If there were a easier(in my mind) solution i would do it.

Anyways i Just ran Unigine heaven dx11 benchmark and if you check this link it should say 7870 gets 1837 points http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/01-3D... ...where as i get....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 9:59:10 AM

says 12 ram........ 6 2giggers ? try running 3 sticks. did you know that the x58 runs faster with 3 sticks than with 6 ?

you may also want to check the speed that your ram is running..... don't know the benchmark, don't use it.
Score
April 16, 2012 10:01:21 AM

Sorry i have no idea what you mean. Yes i have 12gigs of ram and not sure if its 6 2giggers O.o not sure what any of that meant tbh lol. cpu-z says my DRAM frequency is at 530 mhz. I searched up how to check what speed ram is running at and found that answer. Is this the correct spot to find out? lol :p 
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 10:16:04 AM

6 2giggers........... 6 - 2gig sticks

530....... or 1066...... is that the speed ram you have ?

it'll be under the ram settings somewhere. don't know your BIOS.
Score
April 16, 2012 10:18:49 AM

Well from my research i have 530 DRAM mhz and triple channels so that would be 1590 i guess. I'm not sure if its 6 2gig sticks or not.
Score
April 16, 2012 10:36:29 AM

Well i guess my only option is upgrading to windows 7 for now.. Getting off PC shortly. any suggestions would be nice
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 12:07:33 PM

I don't know who told you you need Windows 7 but you don't....... the ram, how many sticks do you have and what does it say on the label on the side of the ram.......... pull one out to read it........... and are they all the same ?
Score
April 16, 2012 12:08:47 PM

Okay thanks i'm gonna check now.
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 12:20:26 PM

you do know you need to shut the machine down first right ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 12:40:18 PM

Umm, you link to 3dmark11 score but are comparing with unigine heaven. Also extreme is 2560 res and you are running 1920 res.

So you need to check against the unigine heaven performance benchmark and turn tesselation to normal, AA to 4x and shaders to medium.

I suspect you will get roughly the 45FPS that toms got with their reference machine.

THESE SETTINGS HAVE A HIGH IMPACT TO PERFORMANCE.

Also try plugging your power directly into the wall for your PC base unit. I have seen someone on here that had it through an extension cable and was not able to pull sufficient current from the wall...
Score
April 16, 2012 12:53:54 PM

So swift sorry i took so long lol. Encountered a problem obviously. I took out 1 of my 6 2gb sticks of RAM and the lock things wouldn't both snap into place so i just left it out and now am using 10gb. Which is still far more then i need lol. Sooo it says gddr3-1333 2gb 128mx8 1.5v ep. Also says Elpida twn.. whatever that means lol.

@americanbrian: Thanks i didn't even know :p  I will do that test and will also plug my pc directly into wall lol. Thank you :) 
Score
April 16, 2012 1:21:23 PM

Is that good?

EDIT: Just played gta4 on everything maxed out except for shadows and night shadows being off. got 30-60 fps which is amazing compared to before. Not sure whats up with the shadows on gta for my pc but it dropped my fps to 10-20.

Btw i have my pc plugged directly into wall. maybe that did something. On to further testing!
Score
April 16, 2012 2:03:15 PM

Sorry to double post but i think this deserves it lol. Huge difference between the pic above this(49.9 fps) to this new pic with pc plugged directly into wall.

Thanks so much!
Score
April 16, 2012 2:43:38 PM

You've got tessellation disabled in the last test. I assume that makes up for a lot of the gain in FPS you see.
Score
April 16, 2012 2:54:59 PM

jimbonnet said:
You've got tessellation disabled in the last test. I assume that makes up for a lot of the gain in FPS you see.

Ah you are right. Thanks for noticing that lol. I feel kinda dumb now but thats ok :p  I still notice a FPS gain in GTA4 for some reason. everything maxed except shadows and 100 view/detail distance 30-50 fps. Sorry for the triple post of failure.. lol..

Skyrim running at 50-80 fps ultra settings with the graphical mods.
BF3 running at 30-50 fps(almost the same)
GTA4 running at 30-50 fps on ultra(alot better)
Still testing.

So while improvements are there i don't think I'm playing at the best FPS i could with this setup so any tips/info is nice :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 4:01:26 PM

On BF3, go from 4x AA to OFF (you can use High Post AA) and your frames will never dip under 60.
Score
April 16, 2012 4:42:35 PM

diec4st said:
On BF3, go from 4x AA to OFF (you can use High Post AA) and your frames will never dip under 60.

Had to restart my game so i didn't notice any different. gonna try now.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 4:57:12 PM

What I stated earlier about Vista and DX11 was incorrect. I should have remembered the platform update issued for Vista. I'm not sure what the status of WDDM support and DWM (I think it stills renders using double buffering, unlike Win7) so that still impacts performance and VRAM usage. Still, upgrading to Win7 from Vista is never a bad idea.
Score
April 16, 2012 5:19:39 PM

So Jim, I turned AA off and my FPS never drops below 30. avg is about 40 though sometimes 60+. Overall a good boost but i don't get 60 fps on average

@aicom Yea i was planning on it eventually even if i fixed my problems. Although if i don't fix my problems soon i will be upgrading most likely.
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 10:36:32 PM

your system is better than the one I game on. No need to spend money.

have you checked what software is running ? instant messaging/anti virus-malware/e-mail alert/music mumbo jumbo/

type msconfig in your "run" box. look under start up and under services. how much stuff is running that you don't need ?

check the firewall. see what's allowed that shouldn't be.

i know i mentioned ram before......... try running 3 sticks only. run them in the blue slots first.

to make it possible for you to reinstall the sticks you need to pull the video card so you can "work" the clips and seat the ram properly.

curious, can you mount a fan to blow on that big NB heatsink ?
Score
April 17, 2012 3:29:52 AM

swifty_morgan said:
your system is better than the one I game on. No need to spend money.

have you checked what software is running ? instant messaging/anti virus-malware/e-mail alert/music mumbo jumbo/

type msconfig in your "run" box. look under start up and under services. how much stuff is running that you don't need ?

check the firewall. see what's allowed that shouldn't be.

i know i mentioned ram before......... try running 3 sticks only. run them in the blue slots first.

to make it possible for you to reinstall the sticks you need to pull the video card so you can "work" the clips and seat the ram properly.

curious, can you mount a fan to blow on that big NB heatsink ?

Well i use a program called Game booster so that closes most of the un-needed programs but yea when i open msconfig there is alot of services but i honestly don't know what i need and don't lol. Majority are Microsoft services so I'm not sure what to stop. I will try running 3 sticks of ram only. I can probably take a picture of my heatsink and post here? I wouldn't know what size pc adapter fans are. Thanks for the suggestions :)  Gonna try the 3 sticks of ram now. I just hope i don't mess anything up lol.
Score
April 17, 2012 5:25:58 AM

So Morgan, I ran 3 sticks in the blue slots and my pc would make a terrible beeping sound when i turned it on and it wouldn't start properly. So then i tried 4 sticks 3 blue 1 white and my pc only showed i was using 4gb of ram so then tried 2 white 2 blue and got BSOD then i said screw it, I'm putting all 6 back in and now I'm back to 12gb.. lol. I don't think i will be trying that again any time soon lol. I took pictures of inside my pc i will upload them when i have time.

edit: I disabled a few services i did not need and not much of a gain in performance. Checked my firewall everything looks fine from what i can tell.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 9:29:49 AM

Basically I think you were not paying attention to all the settings.

I do not think your PC has a problem, it is serving up the sort of results you should expect with your setup.

Have fun with your machine. Do some more reading about what each setting is/does and try to find a balance that pleases you.

Cheers, Have fun...
Score
April 17, 2012 9:38:20 AM

americanbrian said:
Basically I think you were not paying attention to all the settings.

I do not think your PC has a problem, it is serving up the sort of results you should expect with your setup.

Have fun with your machine. Do some more reading about what each setting is/does and try to find a balance that pleases you.

Cheers, Have fun...

Well from what i read online my PC does have a problem. I'm getting 30-40 fps in bf3 now with a really jumpy screen

gta4 cant go above 1000/2000 in the VRAM settings.. anything above 1000 and i get terrible lag, which doesn't make sense because i have a 2gb card. So thats the performance i should expect from this setup? Alot of money into this setup yet my games don't play nearly as good as they should. Everywhere i search online i see better results with the same if not worse setups..
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 12:55:23 PM

Have you checked all the settings? Having 2GB usage of VRAM is unrealistic unless you plan to X-fire/ 3 way X-fire and run multiple monitors for ultra high res.

A single card alone has no need for that and no way will it fill up with the settings a single GPU can process.

Also GTA4 is reknowned to be CPU limited. And your rig is running pretty slow CPU-wise.

Also check the settings, you have already shown that you have not paid too much attention to the details there.

You are already exceeding the FPS for the reference card in toms charts, so no, it is not a problem with the graphics card.
Score
April 17, 2012 7:49:19 PM

americanbrian said:
Have you checked all the settings? Having 2GB usage of VRAM is unrealistic unless you plan to X-fire/ 3 way X-fire and run multiple monitors for ultra high res.

A single card alone has no need for that and no way will it fill up with the settings a single GPU can process.

Also GTA4 is reknowned to be CPU limited. And your rig is running pretty slow CPU-wise.

Also check the settings, you have already shown that you have not paid too much attention to the details there.

You are already exceeding the FPS for the reference card in toms charts, so no, it is not a problem with the graphics card.

Ok now i FINALLY know its my CPU that's holding me back.. And what the hell do you mean check the settings? you have said 2x i havn't paid much attention to the settings when clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Also i am not exceeding the FPS for the reference card in toms chart.. I don't know where you get your info from but its incorrect. I never said it was a problem with my graphics card, i said there is a problem with my PC.

Here is the benchmark results for GTA4 by tomshardware for the 7870 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi... . I try to play on medium settings, high textures distance/traffic 35 2x AF instead of the 8x the site shows and i DO NOT get 65 average FPS. Thats how i try to always play and i get 30-40 fps offline. Online i have to turn EVERYTHING to low to play smoothly. PLEASE TELL ME HOW THATS NORMAL.

Now that i know its my CPU that's holding me back what should i do? Upgrade or try overclocking? I honestly don't know what to do that's why I'm here...

Sorry if i sound like a Pr*ck lol i don't mean to.

Another thing to take note about GTA is my fps gets locked at 83 even at the most blank loading screens... I am running at 100hz refresh rate because the 1.7 gta patch does not allow 120hz for some reason. Also i still cannot have shadow quality/night shadows on LOW without dropping to 10-30 fps. If i put them on medium i drop to 1-10
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2012 10:36:42 AM

Ok, so, It is defo your CPU that is holding back GTA4... The bench you reference is on a 4.5Ghz i5 2500K. Huge impact on GTA which is highly CPU bound.

You should overclock what you have IMO. You can probably easily hit 3.5 on air at a guess. Entirely your choice, results may vary. WARNING, an incorrect setting can fry your stuff.

And your own screen shots for UNIGINE benchmark show that you are reaching 49FPS at the same settings that toms hits 46FPS. That is where I got my info. Your own screenshots.

What I said about 2GB of VRAM stands. You cannot expect to fill it up on 1920x1080, except maybe with 16x AA and everything super maxed, even then probably not. And your GPU wouldn't handle it alone.

The VRAM is huge for when people X-fire and need the huge frame buffer for ultra high res on tri monitor setups.

I also don't want to come across as a prick, I am trying to help you understand why you are experiencing what you describe.

Your CPU is holding you back in some circumstances. An OC will even out your experiences.
April 18, 2012 10:46:14 AM

Thanks i think i am gonna look into overclocking my CPU, with caution though of course.

I did not know you were speaking of my unigine screenshots in specific. The way you phrased it made me think you meant all the results from toms charts about the 7870.

I do not expect to fill it up on 1920x1080 i just want to use enough VRAM to run the game smoothly

Also thank you for helping :)  I guess I'm gonna start to search how to overclock my CPU properly, and will most likely be back to these forums but in overclocking section of course.
Score
April 28, 2012 3:22:33 PM

Best answer selected by rvdman306.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 9:22:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!