Having trouble with Shuttle XG41 freezing with HDD light on

treypal

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Here is a little info on the build

Shuttle XG41
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Crucial M4 SSD 64gb
WD 500 gb
Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

PC has ran fine since October, until a few days ago. Now it will sporadically semi-freeze up. The HDD light will stay lit, the mouse can still move, but it won't execute any commands. I have changed nothing on the machine.

Updated the SSD firmware, ran Memtest86 with no errors, and now I am stuck.

Any suggestions?

I would try disconnecting the ssd if it's your main boot device. Use the 500 gb western digital and boot up; try connecting the ssd while windows is running and see if it is detected under "computer". If the hardrive symbol is solid, this means the ssd still has a chance of being recovered. If the symbol is empty, then most likely the ssd is bad; Anytime you update the ssd firmware, you lose all your files, and have to either clone the ssd off another drive or start over with a fresh windows install. I've had two fail, and received brand new ones under warranty (different brand). It takes about two weeks to get a replacement; my last one happened right after the Taiwan floods, so it took longer for the replacement to arrive. Good luck.

treypal

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
No defrag for sure.

The install is 4 months old, the computer doesn't have much software on it. I mainly use it for p2p, itunes, and spotify. I don't think it has a virus, it isn't doing anything else funny.

I'd do a fresh install, but I can't find the dvd/key for this particular machine.