IS IPS noticably better for gaming ?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at parts fro a new rig soon and the wife wants a larger monitor, she has a standard 19" at the moment so I thought that as these IPS monitors are getting good press at the moment and have come down in price I would consider the following options.

1. Just get here a new 22" TN 1080p monitor and keep my BenQ LED back light monitor (1080p) also 22"
2. Get myself a new IPS 22" 1080p and give here the Benq
3. Get her a new 22" IPS 1080p

Can anyone advise from experience, would the IPS make a noticeable difference to me in games ? The biggest feature that seems to be getting pushed is better viewing angles ?? Its a PC for Christ sake I sit directly in front of it :lol:

Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks for reading
Mactronix :)
4 answers Last reply
More about noticably gaming
  1. IMHO,IPS isn't that great for gaming.i agree the colors are sharper and viewing angle is better but that helps in pro video or image editing.for gaming,a good 23~24" monitor is great.
  2. The best, would be if you could see the diff, ie visit a store that has one. Unfornatuatly Bestbuy doesn't normally carry, probably a mictocent (if close would be a better bet.
    They are great for photo work).
    ..Colors, contrast ratio and brigtness are their biggest advantage.
    .. Viewing angle - Mixed bag as you indicated with a small screen may not be that big of an issue when you are sitting directly infront.
    ..One disadvantage seems to be the on/off time for the pixels. For very fast movement may have blurr effect which can effect game play and watching a blue ray/DVD with a fast action.
    Cost effectiveness. For the price may be able to move up to a larger LED screen.
  3. Now that Idea I like give here the 22" screen and get a bigger one for me, don't think that would end too well for me some how :whistle:

Thanks for the input so far im leaning towards sticking with TN.

Mactronix :)
  4. You could make a BIG hit, and giver her the NEWER, Larger Monitor - LOL.
    I seem to always pass my monitor down to the wife. I'm in the process of passing the Samsung 24" Monitor/HDTV (16:10 not the 16:9) to her. I bought the samsung 32" LED 120 Hz HDTV for a monitor. Great for gaming (BUT NOT a gamer - o'well) and/or watching DVD/Blu-ray or TV, But not so great for Internet (Text not so great).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Monitors Graphics Product