I spilled water into my computer. Motherboard is dead but what else?

jperrenoud

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
mobo- GIGABYTE G1.Sniper LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

vga- MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

psu- COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS ...

cpu- Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core

ram -G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8gb240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

So I was incredibly careless and spilled roughly half a water bottle into the top of my computer. It immediately froze but didn't shut down. So I held the power button to do a force shut down. I opened the case up, used paper towels to get rid of the water. I then used a hair dryer and spent about 20 minutes attempting to dry it off.

I then made the foolish decision to hook it back up and try to start it. (I know how stupid this was. I should have let it dry over a long period of time. Hindsights 20-20. It was an 'in the moment' sort of decision that i didn't think through properly.) It booted up and got all the way to the desktop but refused to load any icons or allow me to do anything. So i forced it back off.

Two days of fan drying and I tried again today. Now the computer started for only a second. All lights,fans,etc start but it doesn't boot. there is no beep. After about a second and a half it shuts off and attempts to reboot. It continues to do this until i kill the standby switch on the back of the PSU.

I've done the paperclip test with the psu and found out that it works properly. SO I've basically accepted the fact that I've killed my motherboard.

My question, however, is what else should i be worried about. There was water on the back of the video card but i got it all off. Is my CPU ok or should i just assume that when the motherboard died it died as well. My RAM seemed to make it out ok as well as my HDs. Thanks in adance for any responses

I would reset the bios; remove the board battery for a minute, and reinstall. It's usually the round button battery common on most boards. I would also remove all the ram and heatsink and cpu for awhile, let the board dry out for a couple of days, and reinstall them if resetting the bios doesn't work. If you get a screen, chances are the cpu is fine. You can also try each ram stick one at a time, and boot up to your windows cd/dvd and try reinstalling windows. Good luck.