Where can I find a 4-pin PSU?

Hey guys, I have a bit of an interesting scenario.

My mother has a HP computer she bought from Costco.

For her birthday, I decided to get her a graphics card and a 2-way monitor setup, to replace her old 14 inch CRT monitor that she hates.

Well, I went to put it all together, and... the PSU doesn't have a auxiliary 8-pin.

So I went to take the PSU out of my old gaming rig, and found that it only has one 6-pin, when the adapter to an 8-pin needs two.

So I started looking online. Before I did, I measured the CPU to see it's specs (top mounted ATX) and noticed something interesting...

It's got a 4-pin cpu connector instead of an 8-pin.

So. That wall of text out of the way, here's my question:

Where can I find a decent 400-500w top mounted ATX psu with either two 6-pin or an 8-pin graphics power and a 4-pin CPU power?

Either that, or how can I take one of the power supplies I have available, and make it run both the 4-pin CPU and the 8-pin card?

Solution
Not much point in worrying about getting a "top-mount" PSU since an ATX PSU is an ATX PSU regardless of where it is mounted except that bottom-mounting tends to require longer cables.

Not much point in worrying about the 4-pin CPU power connection either since most PSUs either have a 4+4 EPS12V connector or separate 4/4+4 cables. Either way, they should both work.

As for the GPU, you didn't say what it was and unless you tossed a high-end GPU in there, it should not require that much power and run fine with a 6-pin PCIe power connection. High-power cards usually have a combination of 6pin + 8pin connection that allows people to use 2x6 or 1x8 cables.

InvalidError

Titan
Not much point in worrying about getting a "top-mount" PSU since an ATX PSU is an ATX PSU regardless of where it is mounted except that bottom-mounting tends to require longer cables.

Not much point in worrying about the 4-pin CPU power connection either since most PSUs either have a 4+4 EPS12V connector or separate 4/4+4 cables. Either way, they should both work.

As for the GPU, you didn't say what it was and unless you tossed a high-end GPU in there, it should not require that much power and run fine with a 6-pin PCIe power connection. High-power cards usually have a combination of 6pin + 8pin connection that allows people to use 2x6 or 1x8 cables.

Solution

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Newegg and other websites have good pictures. You should be able to tell if the power supply has 4 pin connectors. You don't know to worry, though. It will have an 8 pin that will separate into two four pins if needed.

If you're looking for a power supply, the description will tell you what the PCIe connectors are. It will say 8 pin PCIe or 6+2.