New AMD PC Help With CPU

Hi! I was wondering if I can get someones opinion on which CPU to choose in my AMD Build.

So far my build is as listed:

Case - Rosewill Challenger (May Change)
Mobo - ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ (May Change)
PSU - Corsair TX750 V2
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB(2x4GB) (Will Upgrade To 16GB In Near Future)
GPU - MSI or Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC

Now The CPU's I'm Debating on are the : AMD Phenom II x4 965 or AMD FX-6100

Here are the things I have planed for the PC:
- Mid-Hardcore Gaming (Skyrim, BF3, Tera Online, GW2, Ect..) High Settings (Maybe Ultra When Possible), Good GPU + Good CPU = Great Game ;)
- 3D Modeling & Animation (Maya 2012, Z-Brush, Mudbox, Ect..) This is where the CPU actually come into play.
- UDK (Unreal Engine 3 & Unreal Engine 4 When It Comes Out :bounce: ) & Unity3D
- Video & Photo Editing (AfterEffects, Photoshop, GIMP, Ect...)
- General Use (Youtube, Email, Web Browsing, Ect...)

So basically I need Advice on which CPU to choose for these task. I'm more concerned about the 3D Modelling & Animation, since I need to do this for school, but I also love gaming.
I listed UDK & Unity3D on the task because I like importing my models I make in Maya 2012 to play around with them in a Game Engine, so it's not much of a big concern.

In Short, AMD Phenom II x4 965 or AMD FX-6100 for the task above ^.

P.S. - Please do not say get Intel i5 2500k, If I had the extra $100 I would of bought the Intel build already. :non:
12 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Can't beat the 965 for $105 --- it will push that HD7850 just dandy.

And the HD7850 should be a compute monster.
  2. Ya, I'd go with the 965 too
  3. OC that 965 too
  4. Yeah the 965 is what i'm using for my build. From what people say, it's the best CPU considering quality and price for an AMD build.
  5. Thanks for the replies everyone, Much Appreciated.
    I went ahead and ordered the 965. I think next week when I get payed, I'll order the hyper 212+ and Overclock it to about 4GHz or Higher if I can without changing the Voltage.
    I also think I'll push the 7850 to 1150/1400 MHz.
  6. Look at deals on Newegg for cases and stuff.... I got a Zalman Z11 (no plus) for $50 and i get a $10 rebate so keep a watch for deals :hello:
  7. guerrero said:
    Look at deals on Newegg for cases and stuff.... I got a Zalman Z11 (no plus) for $50 and i get a $10 rebate so keep a watch for deals :hello:

Z11 is a cool case. I just got the Z9 plus, but kinda wish I had bought the Z11
  8. GI_JONES said:
    Z11 is a cool case. I just got the Z9 plus, but kinda wish I had bought the Z11

Yeah I get it tomorrow but I sadly have to put my 2007 compaq in it.... (im 14 lol) I upgraded the PSU atleast :lol: I'll put my first build in it later
  9. Yah, know?

If you dropped down to a TX650 PSU, save $10-$15 with a regular HD7850 (you are most likely going to hit a 20% over-clock without much effort), and snagged an AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana, you could save enough money to grab an SSD.

Or put the cash toward a Vishera Piledriver, or discount Zambezi in 3-4 months.

The HD7850 is going to do all the heavy lifting, anyway . . .

:D
  10. Wisecracker said:
    Yah, know?

If you dropped down to a TX650 PSU, save $10-$15 with a regular HD7850 (you are most likely going to hit a 20% over-clock without much effort), and snagged an AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana, you could save enough money to grab an SSD.

Or put the cash toward a Vishera Piledriver, or discount Zambezi in 3-4 months.

The HD7850 is going to do all the heavy lifting, anyway . . .

LOL my mom saw your picture and was freaked out because of the devil loololol (religious 54 year old mexican mother) loolol
  11. That's El Dick Diablo, III, or former President Cheney.

He shoots his buddies in the face by shotgun for relaxation, and likes water-boarding in his free time. He should be in prison, but BigMedCo just gave him a heart.

Rumor has it, the heart is his first.

Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs AMD Systems Product