G

Hi.

I am looking into building a new PC, as my trusty dell xps 630i has finally began to go faulty (CPU or Motherboard.)

I usually go over the top when buying anything in live, so I guess PC components will be the same deal! I have attached my list, and am looking for advise, basically to find out whether this spec is way too high for what I need.

I will be playing FPS games and F1 racing, racing sims, flight sim and so on. I have put the following spec together as I don't really want to be replacing it for the next 5 years, nor do I want to keep adding bits to it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core CPU (3.60GHz, 10MB Cache, Socket 2011, 130W, Sandy Bridge

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard (Socket 2011, Intel X79, DDR3, ATX, PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0, Thermal Armor, ASUS SSD Caching

Memory: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G Vengeance Gold 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Quad Kit

CPU Cooling: INTEL BXRTS2011LC RTS2011LC Thermal Solution (Liquid Cooling) for LGA2011/LGA1366/LGA1155/LGA1156 CPU Sockets

HDD: OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G 120GB Vertex 3 SATA III Internal 2.5 Inch SSD

GFX: I own a GeForce 570 GTX, and plan to buy a 2nd to run in SLI

Case: COOLER MASTER 690 II ADVANCED USB 3.0 WHITE/BLACK ATX CASE

I plan to buy this system soon, whether it be this one, or another that you recommend.

Many thanks,

Rob

G

Sorry, I forgot to add - The above parts work out to £800 and I will be using the Corsair 850w PSU from my current machine

G

Woah £2000..... Not really, I was wondering if I can buy a rig for less than £800 that will handle high demanding games for a few years...

G

I think I'd still rather keep the cost lower, but thanks for the link mate

G

Looking at the spec that I have provided, is there a way to get the price down by £100 or so? Whether that be by moving away from the 2011 to 1155 socket, or go for an i5?

I just want it to be future proof and a great gaming rig

MarkCYates

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I recommend dropping down to a Intel Core I5 @ 3.0 GHZ and dropping down to just an 8 GB kit. What OS are you planning to run. I'm pretty sure that Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit edition only detects 8 GB total.

It may detect more but I doubt it. Research it. There is no point in having 16 GB when your OS won't recognize half of it. It won't even be utiliized.

It also depends on what your bios registers. If it doesn't register 8 GB then your gonna need a different board but I assume it does because it is a brand new board which means it is very current.

Make sure you go with the newest Intel Socket type avaliable for your CPU and mainboard. Lastly don't spend more than 85.00 on a case including tax. That is 85.00 US dollars.

If theres anywhere to skimp it's on the case. The case is simply for aesthetics. Use newegg.com, mwave.com or tigerdirect.com. Stay away from microcenter. They are clueless when it comes to customer service. There absolute morons.

MarkCYates

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
That should cut it down atleast $200.00. It will be future proof indeed. Another area too consider is getting a 1 TB SATA Generation III running @ 6.0 GBS HDD. You will definetly need one for all your games.

I would seriously consider it until SSD drives get much bigger and cheaper. There still not quite mainstream enough yet. Get an external 500 GB HDD as well. Your still saving probably over $200.00 honestly even after buying the External HDD for your other data.

G

Excellent advise - thank you very much sir.

Here is what I have ordered this afternoon.

Intel 3rd Gen i5 3570 3.40GHz

MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 1155 DDR3 Motherboard MAX 32Gb RAM

Case Cooler Master CM-690 Advance Dominator sorry - I went against your advise there :(

Intel Liquid cooling solution

Corsair 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz CL9 DDR3 Blue

OCZ VTX3-25SAT3 120Gb SSD Hard Drive

I will be running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, which I believe is good for 192Gb of memory.

Thanks again for your advise - you did save me £220 by moving away from i7 and 2011 socket.

That i5 Overclocks very well, so should be pretty good.

The final bit of information I could really use, is my route of graphics cards. I have a week old EVGA Geforce 570 GTX Classified (1280Mb DDR5) in my old PC at the moment, so here are my options.

Run 2 EVGA Geforce 570 GTX Classified (1280Mb DDR5) in SLI, or sell this card and buy an EVGA GeForce 670 GTX 670 4096Mb GDDR5.

Many thanks