Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD 6870 HD-687A-ZNFC Intermittent Black Screen on boot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2012 1:09:39 PM

Hi All If anyone can shed any light on this problem I would be grateful.

I have recently done a new build ...

CPU - i5 2500k (running @ 3.3 ghz)
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
RAM - 8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600mhz
SSD - OCZ Agility 3
GPU - XFX XFX HD 6870 HD-687A-ZNFC
PSU - Akasa PowerMax 1000W Gaming PSU (bought in 2008)

Power on from cold boot = OK no problems everything is working fine
Reboot from OS = OK no problems everything is working fine

This build is for a Hackintosh Project and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is running like a dream, with no Kernel Panics

However irrespective of the OS ...

If I power off from OS and imdediately power back on and boot I get a black screen and my monitor goes to sleep.

Although I have no display the motherboard seems to boot fine.

I have tried another GPU PCI E GT 240 ... powered via PCI E 16 lane no pin connectors required and this works fine .... with zero problems

So my suspicions point to the PSU ... even though I am using 2 seperate 6 pin PCI E power connectors.

I have ordered a new PSU Corsair HX650 which should arrive soon ... I am hoping this should correct the problem ... however if it doesnt ... does anyone have any ideas?

April 16, 2012 2:15:41 PM

You might have a faulty 6870. If you have another computer lying around, then maybe you could put your 6870 into it and see if it still has this problem.
April 17, 2012 6:19:31 PM

blazorthon said:
You might have a faulty 6870. If you have another computer lying around, then maybe you could put your 6870 into it and see if it still has this problem.

Thanks Blazorthon got my new Corsair HX 650 PSU today and the problem is fixed ... just goes to show that a good wedge of our budget should always be towards a new high quality PSU
April 18, 2012 5:43:19 AM

I didn't even think of that. A high quality PSU bought only three years ago should still work, so I didn't think to mention it. Of course, I'm not very familiar with Akasa, so I don't know if that is a very high quality brand like Corsair is.
!