Fuji s602z problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 25, 2005 3:09:22 AM

Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a fuse inside?

I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not working. He muttered something about
inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

More about : fuji s602z problem

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:09:23 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:09:22 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
> a fuse inside?

No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
a day.

> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being easy,
> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
(mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
you know what condition they're in?

It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
they returned it?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 5:09:13 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:13:06 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
>> a fuse inside?
>
> No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
>it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
>a day.

It is totally dead. I've had the batteries out of it overnight and it is still dead.

>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
>> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being easy,
>> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.
>
> Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
>(mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
>try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
>it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
>you know what condition they're in?

I've removed both of the memory cards (the 602 takes SM and CF/microdrive). It is still dead. The 602 uses
AA's. I've tried a couple of fully charged sets.

> It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
>camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
>they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
>they returned it?

He won't be my friend for much longer if he doesn't cough up for either the repair or new camera.
July 25, 2005 5:09:14 AM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:09:13 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

> I've removed both of the memory cards (the 602 takes SM and
> CF/microdrive). It is still dead. The 602 uses
> AA's. I've tried a couple of fully charged sets.

Doesn't sound good. Take a flashlight and peer down into the CF
socket. You should be able to see all of the pins and whether they
are all straight or if any are bent, or if any odd object was mashed
into them.

>> It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
>>camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
>>they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
>>they returned it?
>
> He won't be my friend for much longer if he doesn't cough up for either
> the repair or new camera.

Repairs are usually not cost justified and as I've found out,
cameras depreciate rapidly. My old Canon PowerShot is probably
worth 20% of its initial price. But the s602z wasn't a cheap P&S.
If your friend is willing to pay what the cost of repair comes to, I
think you'd be better off applying it to either the Fuji S7000
(which may be the most similar camera currently available) or to
some other camera.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:21:14 PM

"ASAAR" <

You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
and see if it works.
however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
could not find one.602 would be the same.

Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance
July 25, 2005 8:27:19 PM

"Philip Davies" <philip.davies@tesco.net> wrote in message

> "ASAAR" <
>
> You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
> and see if it works.
> however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
> could not find one.602 would be the same.
>
> Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

Oh I like that idea - help all the other dishonest maggots push up the cost
of insurance premiums for the rest of us. Good one. Sure, I'll help pay for
the camera buddy.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:46:21 PM

"Philip Davies" <philip.davies@tesco.net> wrote in message

> "ASAAR" <
>
> You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
> and see if it works.
> however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
> could not find one.602 would be the same.
>
> Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

I suspect problem stemmed from something like that rather than "friends"
excuse about inserting a card, e.g. forgot to mention he dropped it in lake
as he was inserting card :(
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:15:49 AM

>>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
>>> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being
>>> easy,
>>> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

Not that it's going to help your situation but I had a similar problem with
my 602 just after it went off warranty. Kept getting a message that the CF
card was not initialized.

The problem was finally tracked to a bent pin in the CF slot. I think that
I probably did bend the pin as I have always found the card not easy to get
in the slot - especially compared to my Verbatim card reader which accepts
the card as though it were greased.

The upshot was that the slot/pin itself could not be repaired and it cost me
$300 to replace the board. Lesson learned - I am now very careful inserting
the card. I'm still pissed tho' - I can't see why it should be possible to
bend the pin - I think it would not be possible on the card reader, the fit
is so positive. And the reader cost me all of $20.

BeeCee
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:02:33 AM

"Old Bugger" <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a
> fuse inside?
>
> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
> working. He muttered something about
> inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one
> in back to front or not straight.

Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:29:59 AM

Part of why I just simply keep both a cf (512 meg) and a sm (128 meg) card
in their slots and use the USB cable to dl. For how small it is, it does
seem pretty idiotproof, inserting very smoothly/positively so see no reason
to use otherwise until/unless it becomes damaged.

"BeeCee" <bcwood@kingston.net> wrote in message

> Not that it's going to help your situation but I had a similar problem
with
> my 602 just after it went off warranty. Kept getting a message that the
CF
> card was not initialized.
>
> The problem was finally tracked to a bent pin in the CF slot. I think
that
> I probably did bend the pin as I have always found the card not easy to
get
> in the slot - especially compared to my Verbatim card reader which accepts
> the card as though it were greased.
>
> The upshot was that the slot/pin itself could not be repaired and it cost
me
> $300 to replace the board. Lesson learned - I am now very careful
inserting
> the card. I'm still pissed tho' - I can't see why it should be possible
> bend the pin - I think it would not be possible on the card reader, the
fit
> is so positive. And the reader cost me all of $20.
>
> BeeCee

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:09:21 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:02:33 GMT, "Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a
>> fuse inside?
>>
>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
>> working. He muttered something about
>> inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one
>> in back to front or not straight.
>

>Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.

Tried that, and all the pins look fine. ;-(
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:06:26 AM

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:02:33 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
> <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a
>>> fuse inside?
>>>
>>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
>>> working. He muttered something about
>>> inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one
>>> in back to front or not straight.
>>

>>Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.
>
> Tried that, and all the pins look fine. ;-(

Sorry to hear it. I have neve rhad a problem with mine and it's been
through heck and back, including four days in the sun and sweat in Miami in
October, to the point that the LCD had a massive amount of water inside it.
The camera just kept on going and when I got back home it dried out after a
few days and the LCD is fine. I've tried talking people into buying this one
used as opposed to some of the new P&S on the market but with little luck.
It's a great camera. However the using it recently I noticed the image
quality certainly just doesn't hold up to my Canon DSLR's!
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 6:13:35 PM

Mike wrote:

>>Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance
>>

> Oh I like that idea - help all the other dishonest maggots push up the cost
> of insurance premiums for the rest of us. Good one. Sure, I'll help pay for
> the camera buddy.

Actually it's likely to raise HIS premiums significantly. I don't get
why people think that claiming every little broken/lost/stolen item on
their homeowner's insurance is such a good idea. Oftentime the cost of
replacement is far less than the premium increase if you do that enough
times.

If you absolutely want/need insurance on an item, you get a separate
personal effects policy written. Most times it's cheap enough and your
homeowner's policy doesn't take the hit if you claim.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 30, 2005 6:15:43 PM

Old Bugger wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:02:33 GMT, "Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:
>

>>Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.
>

> Tried that, and all the pins look fine. ;-(

Time to go back to your "friend" and get the whole story out of him
about what happened, as well as to present him with a bill. Did even
offer to pay for repairs?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.