Doesn anyone know what the problem with this gpu is?

woulot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
nvidida gtx 550 ti and the screen 'breaks' after a while here is a picture when playing wow

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/imag0007ah.jpg/

my psu should be okay it's a antec 500W and the minimum u need for this card according to nvidia is 400W

overheating may be it but my case is open at the moment so I don't really know what to do now

anyone?

woulot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Yes all the graphic drivers are up to date, I scanned again on the nvidia website and it says I'm up to date

for your second question it's simple, no actually I use wow pretty much as u buy it nearly no add ons too

larkspur

Distinguished
Hi woulot - That screenshot shows obvious GPU artifacts. Use GPU-Z to monitor your card's temps. Make sure the card's fan is spinning and make sure you aren't overclocking the card. If the temps are normal under load then I'd say you probably have a bad chip and should invoke your warranty. If the temps are the problem then you need to figure out why the cooling isn't working on the card (Dust? Fan failed?). Either way, your symptoms point to a malfunctioning GPU.

Be organised and help us (FFS :fou: )

Help us with some obvious questions.... is it only WOW? or even when just windows? always after a specific amount of time? ... or only when you stress the card?
What version of Windows? have you done a "clean install" of drivers (think you get that option when installing Nvidia drivers)? sure you using the correct version of drivers? (i.e. you using 64 bit if you have 64 bit OS?)

If it seems related to how hard you working your graphics... how hot is it running? go here if you dont know how to minitor temps

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your screen shot is nice... but some basic stuff on what you have tried would help a LOT

Cheers

smeg4brainsuk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Well it could be a fair few problems so need to narrow it down.

1) Does it only do this when playing games? check this by playing some hi-def video
2) Does it only do this playing wow? also test if its on every graphic setting and try different resolutions
3) How old is the card GPU and PSU?

You might just need to uninstall the drivers and install new fresh ones but i would recommend you running a few tests using 3DMark.

woulot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
well I didn't get all detailed on it because maybe some of u already had this kind of issues and it could be an easy fix.

drivers are fine I checked it many times and did it with the scanner on nvidia's website

the card is not overclocked and it only occurs while playing games, any game so I quess when the card has to perform something and it gets slightly over 50° the screen is like I showed you on the photo

50 freaking degrees? that's low imo but when I'm using speedfan there is a little flame infront of the gpu temp when it hits 50°

when I'm just using windows and browsing it all works fine but playing games makes it break down

oh and when i'm just browsing etc the temp can drop to 30° and lower with case closed

woulot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

happens with all games
the card is brand new psu is even newer

larkspur

Distinguished

50C under load is fine for that card, the cooling is working well. Sounds like a bad chip to me especially given that the card is brand new (therefore was never known-working). I'd start the RMA process now.

woulot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

ugh but why is there a flame infront of my gpu temp at 50° in speedfan ? it must have something to do with it

larkspur

Distinguished

Speedfan shows a flame any time my 6970 goes over 50c. It is normal for a 6970 to hit 80c under load. Obviously the little flame is not a good indicator of overheating. From what you reported, your card isn't overheating. If you want to be sure of that try another temperature logger like GPU-Z.

larkspur

Distinguished
Rock - I'm pretty sure any new 500w PSU that Antec makes is going to power a 550 ti no problem. The symptoms point more toward gpu hardware since it is consistent across all games and he has removed and reinstalled the drivers to no effect and has no temp issues. I'm pretty sure PSU problems would cause a lot of crashes and it sounds like he's just getting heavy artifacts.

woulot- Since you've done the drivers and checked the temp, the last thing I might try is to reseat the card or try it in another slot (if available). The most definitive thing to do is to try the card in a different computer. If it is a hardware defect then it will show the problem in both computers.

woulot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

I already reseated the card and I checked with my old graphic card to see if the problem was still there but everything goes well with my old card so it has to be the 550 ti..

the card crashes at +- 50° while playing games , and boy u have those 50° pretty fast

v1zzle

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

I've had a friend with similar artifacts displaying while playing games. You're GPU is fried. Return it and get a new one

smeg4brainsuk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Yeah it seems pretty straight forward that its the card that is fried and since its new its well under warranty, it sucks but it can happen from time to time

If you do get a new one... go easy on the OC... dont break it again and pretend it was faulty :eek: :D