Nikon Coolpix 4500 Problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 24, 2005 8:27:17 PM

Hi - I have had a Nikon Coolpix 4500 for 18 months with absolutely no
problems. I went to turn it on today and - nothing! The green light did
not come on and the camera did not power up. Thinking bad thoughts
about the battery, I replaced it with a fully charged battery. Still no
luck. Is there some sort of power switch override or fuse or other
control that I am missing?

Please help with any suggestions.

Thanks,
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:13:45 AM

On 24 Jul 2005 16:27:17 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "nkbay"
<albrockman@cox.net> wrote:

>Hi - I have had a Nikon Coolpix 4500 for 18 months with absolutely no
>problems. I went to turn it on today and - nothing! The green light did
>not come on and the camera did not power up. Thinking bad thoughts
>about the battery, I replaced it with a fully charged battery. Still no
>luck. Is there some sort of power switch override or fuse or other
>control that I am missing?

The rotary switch on the 9xx/4500 is notorious for needing some cleaning
after a while. Try some Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner judiciously applied and
rotate the switch back and forth. Then place the camera so the top of the
switch is down to allow any cleaner to flow out on a paper towel.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at