7970 OC CF low windows index??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnerhp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hey guys,
I just recently purchased two Sapphire 7970 OC with DualX coolers. Running them in CrossFire. However I noticed that after refreshing my windows index, where I had a graphical score of 7.1 with dual HD 5870's OC'd, the score had dropped down to 6.8.

I know the windows index isn't really important, but why would it be a lower number than it was with the 5870's? I know both cards are working correctly, I tested them both single before doing the crossfire to make sure they weren't bad.

Is anyone else getting the same problem?

System:
i7-2700k OC to 5.2Ghz
7970 x2 OC CrossFire
Gigabyte z68xp-ud4
16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X (1866)
OCZ Agility 3 120 x2 Raid0 (primary)
3x WD Caviar Black 2Tb (non-raid storage)
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Cooler
SeaSonic Platinum 1000
Thor v2 case

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Because it's a fine indicator of general component performance. It can certainly be wrong, but so can other common benchmarks (think Passmark GPU charts). If it drops, it's worth looking into even if it turns out to be nothing. It may be something like GPU throttling because of an OC too high or reduced memory bandwidth due to errors caused by a high memory OC.

i know that but OP mention that both card working properly. instead of WEI maybe he should do synthetic benchmark like 3dmark and look at the score and for the best result he should play games. AFAIK there is no clear meaning to WEI score other than higher number means you have better performing part. just my opinion though

sinnerhp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I'll re-run the index when I get home (at work) and I have ran the vantage 64 benchmark..scored great as well as ingame (average over 100fps on Ultra BF3, at least davamand peak where I logged in for a few mins). So I know the cards are working correctly, I was just blown away by how much the Win7 index score sucked. I have 7.9's all the way except for graphics / gaming.

sinnerhp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
So I gave it a shot last night with Crossfire disabled..didn't seem to help. still only scoring 6.8. I decided to push it a bit more and try more BF3, watched GPUz monitoring in another display while playing..the cards both work amazingly and when overclocked can average 130fps with max hitting 212 (metro with no players in area) and minimum 92 (at bottom of stairs in metro 64player) all settings maxed.

So I guess I'll just let this be chalked up to a poor driver...you know, since it's an AMD based card :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.