Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Help choosing a motherboard!

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 13, 2012 12:15:27 AM

Hi guys, I'm building a new gaming computer and I'm stuck on choosing a good but reasonably priced motherboard.

For your information, I am planning to use a i5-3750k CPU, with a Zalman Z9 plus mid tower, and a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 Ti (factory OC).

I'm hoping to get a motherboard for 100-150 Canadian dollars. (I live in Vancouver, Canada) So far, I've already looked at quite a few motherboards, and I'll list some of the ones I'm interested in, but feel free to give me suggestions


http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/241880/GA-Z77-D3H/Gig...

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/242368/P8Z77-V%20LK/A...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am not planning on doing extreme OC for the most part, but I'd like to leave the option open for some moderate OCing, and at the moment I don't need SLI, as I believe I might just buy new GPUs intead of using multiple older ones. However, it may be possible that I'll try to use SLI in the future, so I'm hoping to keep that open as well.

There's also an old budget one that I first found, but not sure if it works with the i5-3570k:
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/235031/Gigabyte/GA_Z6...

More about : choosing motherboard

June 13, 2012 12:52:18 AM

Niklas_13 said:
The top 2nd MoBo looks good M8 the 1th 4th dont have sli/crossfire

Another to look @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

any of the 2 will do just fine.


Edit the GA Z77- Dont have sli support


Ah okay, thanks for the quick reply.

In between the Asus Z77-V LK and Asrock Extreme 4, which one has better performance? Currently I'm leaning towards the extreme 4 because I don't have to deal with the MIR to save the 20 bucks.

*edit, on second thought I noticed that for Newegg.ca, the Extreme 4 is 180 bucks with no sale, lol. I might have to just buy from the US and pick it up somehow.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 1:04:34 AM

VinceS said:
Hi guys, I'm building a new gaming computer and I'm stuck on choosing a good but reasonably priced motherboard.

For your information, I am planning to use a i5-3750k CPU, with a Zalman Z9 plus mid tower, and a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 Ti (factory OC).

I'm hoping to get a motherboard for 100-150 Canadian dollars. (I live in Vancouver, Canada) So far, I've already looked at quite a few motherboards, and I'll list some of the ones I'm interested in, but feel free to give me suggestions


http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/241880/GA-Z77-D3H/Gig...

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/242368/P8Z77-V%20LK/A...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am not planning on doing extreme OC for the most part, but I'd like to leave the option open for some moderate OCing, and at the moment I don't need SLI, as I believe I might just buy new GPUs intead of using multiple older ones. However, it may be possible that I'll try to use SLI in the future, so I'm hoping to keep that open as well.

There's also an old budget one that I first found, but not sure if it works with the i5-3570k:
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/235031/Gigabyte/GA_Z6...

The only boards on those links that support SLI are the Asus and the Biostar. The other boards run dual cards @ x4 instead of the normal x8.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD6547&v... $149.53 MIR $129.53
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 SLI DVI HDMI DP USB3.0 Motherboard

http://www.directcanada.com <----- Free Shipping on orders over $50*
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 1:20:36 AM

Why_Me said:
The only boards on those links that support SLI are the Asus and the Biostar. The other boards run dual cards @ x4 instead of the normal x8.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD6547&v... $149.53 MIR $129.53
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 SLI DVI HDMI DP USB3.0 Motherboard

http://www.directcanada.com <----- Free Shipping on orders over $50*

Ok. So the Asus-V Lk it is then. It is the one that I thought had the most potential anyways (out of my choices). Thank you for your help. By the way, could you explain the differences between running dual cards @ x4 and x8?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 1:41:45 AM

VinceS said:
Ok. So the Asus-V Lk it is then. It is the one that I thought had the most potential anyways (out of my choices). Thank you for your help. By the way, could you explain the differences between running dual cards @ x4 and x8?

Boards that run dual cards @ x4 instead of the normal x8 choke off the bandwidth. That's why you will never see a board that runs dual cards @x4 have the SLI logo on them.


1155 boards that support SLI...like these new Z77 boards for example will have normally have a min. of two PCI-E 3.0 slots. It runs a single card @ x16 and when you add a second card it splits the bandwidth and runs them @ x8.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

Expansion Slots

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
Share
June 13, 2012 2:59:55 AM

I think Why_Me covered it :)  I was lost in skyrim somewhare lol
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 5:30:25 AM

Best answer selected by VinceS.
m
0
l
!