shooting games recommendations?

peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Could someone suggest some shooting games, millenium games are even better.
Here is what I already have and what I like/don't like:

halo - love it, except the last part of the last stages (mandatory driving
against time)

007 nightfire/agent under fire - like the shooting part, but hate the
driving or stealthy part

rainbox six 3 - don't like it because there is no health restore, no picking
up enemy ammo, and little interaction w/ environment; also don't like
stealth (don't remember for sure it has this part); hate the stingy number
of saves

ghost recon - not bad, but most fights occur over a long distance (i.e.
mostly sniping); prefer indoor or closer range combat

return to castle wolfenstein - not bad; wish the game stages have more color
(not all orange/brownish); the most difficult setting is not hard enough

counterstrike - ok, but prefer longer stages with health restore, etc

brute force - don't like it; can't explain why

Obviously, I will get halo 2, but in the mean time, ...

peter wrote:
> Could someone suggest some shooting games, millenium games are even
> better. Here is what I already have and what I like/don't like:

What about Unreal or Shadow Ops?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Hmm. If you want a "smarter than most" kinda shooter game I would say give
DEUS EX 2 a rental (It's not everyone's cup of tea), I know I enjoyed the
game immensely. In fact I would HIGHLY recommend it.

> From: "peter" <nospam@nospam.com>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.xbox.games
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:24:46 -0700
> Subject: shooting games recommendations?
>
> Could someone suggest some shooting games, millenium games are even better.
> Here is what I already have and what I like/don't like:
>
> halo - love it, except the last part of the last stages (mandatory driving
> against time)
>
> 007 nightfire/agent under fire - like the shooting part, but hate the
> driving or stealthy part
>
> rainbox six 3 - don't like it because there is no health restore, no picking
> up enemy ammo, and little interaction w/ environment; also don't like
> stealth (don't remember for sure it has this part); hate the stingy number
> of saves
>
> ghost recon - not bad, but most fights occur over a long distance (i.e.
> mostly sniping); prefer indoor or closer range combat
>
> return to castle wolfenstein - not bad; wish the game stages have more color
> (not all orange/brownish); the most difficult setting is not hard enough
>
> counterstrike - ok, but prefer longer stages with health restore, etc
>
> brute force - don't like it; can't explain why
>
> Obviously, I will get halo 2, but in the mean time, ...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Peter,
Serious Sam has to be the most enjoyable shooter I've played on xbox - keeps
you amused with "serious" quips as well.
cheers
Bill

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Could someone suggest some shooting games, millenium games are even
better.
> Here is what I already have and what I like/don't like:
>
> halo - love it, except the last part of the last stages (mandatory driving
> against time)
>
> 007 nightfire/agent under fire - like the shooting part, but hate the
> driving or stealthy part
>
> rainbox six 3 - don't like it because there is no health restore, no
picking
> up enemy ammo, and little interaction w/ environment; also don't like
> stealth (don't remember for sure it has this part); hate the stingy number
> of saves
>
> ghost recon - not bad, but most fights occur over a long distance (i.e.
> mostly sniping); prefer indoor or closer range combat
>
> return to castle wolfenstein - not bad; wish the game stages have more
color
> (not all orange/brownish); the most difficult setting is not hard enough
>
> counterstrike - ok, but prefer longer stages with health restore, etc
>
> brute force - don't like it; can't explain why
>
> Obviously, I will get halo 2, but in the mean time, ...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

If you have Xbox Live the new Star Wars game is excellent. If you don't
have live and are stuck with the Forrest Gump AI players...don't bother

Also, if you don't have Xbox live yet--get it. It adds infinite replay
value to most of the shooters you listed.....its like getting all new games
for 50 a year....

MIKE T

Mike T wrote:
> If you have Xbox Live the new Star Wars game is excellent. If you
> don't have live and are stuck with the Forrest Gump AI
> players...don't bother
>
> Also, if you don't have Xbox live yet--get it. It adds infinite
> replay value to most of the shooters you listed.....its like getting
> all new games for 50 a year....

Aye, that's some good advice. There ain't no AI like a real human being.
Games are a heck of a lot more fun against real peeps, especially when
you're talking about shooters.

Regards,
H.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

While I really enjoyed Deus Ex 2, it is really more of an action/RPG
than a shooter, though I see why you would recommend it as such.

Somebody mentioned Serious Sam... I second it. I picked it up at
ToysRUs for about $7 or $8 bucks and played it through for a week.
It's a game you can come back to anytime and pick without effort. Nice
game and a good price!

Also, Metal Arms Glitch in the System is a good shooter, tho more of a
3rd person shooter. Some even call it a platformer, but who can tell.

Andy Bee <andybee@goldenemployment.com> wrote in message news:<BD798879.11F9%andybee@goldenemployment.com>...
> Hmm. If you want a "smarter than most" kinda shooter game I would say give
> DEUS EX 2 a rental (It's not everyone's cup of tea), I know I enjoyed the
> game immensely. In fact I would HIGHLY recommend it.
>
> > From: "peter" <nospam@nospam.com>
> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.xbox.games
> > Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:24:46 -0700
> > Subject: shooting games recommendations?
> >
> > Could someone suggest some shooting games, millenium games are even better.
> > Here is what I already have and what I like/don't like:
> >
> > halo - love it, except the last part of the last stages (mandatory driving
> > against time)
> >
> > 007 nightfire/agent under fire - like the shooting part, but hate the
> > driving or stealthy part
> >
> > rainbox six 3 - don't like it because there is no health restore, no picking
> > up enemy ammo, and little interaction w/ environment; also don't like
> > stealth (don't remember for sure it has this part); hate the stingy number
> > of saves
> >
> > ghost recon - not bad, but most fights occur over a long distance (i.e.
> > mostly sniping); prefer indoor or closer range combat
> >
> > return to castle wolfenstein - not bad; wish the game stages have more color
> > (not all orange/brownish); the most difficult setting is not hard enough
> >
> > counterstrike - ok, but prefer longer stages with health restore, etc
> >
> > brute force - don't like it; can't explain why
> >
> > Obviously, I will get halo 2, but in the mean time, ...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

> Also, Metal Arms Glitch in the System is a good shooter, tho more of a
> 3rd person shooter. Some even call it a platformer, but who can tell.

This is one of the most overlooked titles of this generation, IMHO. Great
game, lots of good action. It's like Halo in third-person with robots. The
developers are currently working on Metal Arms 2 and StarCraft: Ghost.
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)