Help with customizing folder

Kit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

Brand new computer here.........Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP SP2.

When viewing a font, the print panel pops up. So, I went into folder
options/advanced and removed "Print". Well, then FontView
wouldn't work. So, I went back into options and browsed to FontView for the "open
with" command. Now it's telling me that every
single font on my system is not a valid font. I tried putting "View" in the advanced
section with "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FONTVIEW.EXE" in the "Application to perform
action" box, but it still gives me the "invalid font" error.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your input,

Kit

"" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>Here are the default registry entries for ttf files.
>Attached.
>
>[application/octet-stream]
>
>[application/octet-stream]

Many servers reject binary postings in non-binary groups, or accept
the article but strip out the attachments.

How 'bout posting in plain text -- especially since .reg files are
plain text anyway?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Kit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

David, I tried both of these and I'm still getting the "not a valid font" message.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kit

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Brand new computer here.........Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP SP2.
>
> When viewing a font, the print panel pops up. So, I went into folder
> options/advanced and removed "Print". Well, then FontView
> wouldn't work. So, I went back into options and browsed to FontView for the "open
> with" command. Now it's telling me that every
> single font on my system is not a valid font. I tried putting "View" in the
> section with "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FONTVIEW.EXE" in the "Application to perform
> action" box, but it still gives me the "invalid font" error.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> Kit

No. I checked they weren't using the web reader. This IS a binary group.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:36et50F50i9o2U3@individual.net...
> "" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>Here are the default registry entries for ttf files.
>>Attached.
>>
>>[application/octet-stream]
>>
>>[application/octet-stream]
>
> Many servers reject binary postings in non-binary groups, or accept
> the article but strip out the attachments.
>
> How 'bout posting in plain text -- especially since .reg files are
> plain text anyway?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

"" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>No. I checked they weren't using the web reader. This IS a binary group.

Every binary group has "binaries" in its name.

I don't know what you mean by "they", but inividual.net, a
respected news server, stripped off your attachments because this
is not a binary group. (If it were, individual.net wouldn't carry
it.)

I would have liked to see those registry entries, but of course
you're under no obligation to post them in readable fashion.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

They is the OP, who's using OE.

I have no problem seeing the attachments, using OE.

What the heck is MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.60.2060? That's your problem.

Since MicroPlanet closed their doors in December 2001...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:36fobqF52sd0hU1@individual.net,
Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> hunted and pecked:

"Wesley Vogel" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>They is the OP, who's using OE.
>
>I have no problem seeing the attachments, using OE.
>
>What the heck is MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.60.2060? That's your problem.
>
>Since MicroPlanet closed their doors in December 2001...
>
>Hope this helps. Let us know.

It doesn't, because choice of newsreader is irrelevant. Gravity
shows attachments just fine, if the server has them. Individual.net
doesn't have the attachments, because binaries aren't allowed in
text groups, and you wouldn't see them in any newsreader that
connects to that server. (Don't say "too bad for the server";
they're doing the right thing.)

I used to be on Supernews, and I believe it would simply reject any
article with attachments that was posted to a non-binary group. But
I no longer have the ability to verify that.

Be all of that as it may, it still makes no sense to turn text into
an attachment when posting it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
| "" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
| >No. I checked they weren't using the web reader. This IS a binary group.
|
| Every binary group has "binaries" in its name.
|
| I don't know what you mean by "they", but inividual.net, a
| respected news server, stripped off your attachments because this
| is not a binary group. (If it were, individual.net wouldn't carry
| it.)
|
| I would have liked to see those registry entries, but of course
| you're under no obligation to post them in readable fashion.

Stan,

shows attachments in Microsoft Outlook Express

Well this is a binary group, always has been. It is not part of usenet.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:36ge79F52anjpU3@individual.net...
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>They is the OP, who's using OE.
>>
>>I have no problem seeing the attachments, using OE.
>>
>>What the heck is MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.60.2060? That's your problem.
>>
>>Since MicroPlanet closed their doors in December 2001...
>>
>>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> It doesn't, because choice of newsreader is irrelevant. Gravity
> shows attachments just fine, if the server has them. Individual.net
> doesn't have the attachments, because binaries aren't allowed in
> text groups, and you wouldn't see them in any newsreader that
> connects to that server. (Don't say "too bad for the server";
> they're doing the right thing.)
>
> I used to be on Supernews, and I believe it would simply reject any
> article with attachments that was posted to a non-binary group. But
> I no longer have the ability to verify that.
>
> Be all of that as it may, it still makes no sense to turn text into
> an attachment when posting it.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

What exactly do you do (eg click this then click that)? Use the names displayed on the screen (the folder says "Fonts").

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:CSxMd.1808$XY5.1352@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> David, I tried both of these and I'm still getting the "not a valid font" message.
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kit
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uAo96HbCFHA.2620@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Here are the default registry entries for ttf files.
> Attached.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Brand new computer here.........Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> When viewing a font, the print panel pops up. So, I went into folder
>> options/advanced and removed "Print". Well, then FontView
>> wouldn't work. So, I went back into options and browsed to FontView for the "open
>> with" command. Now it's telling me that every
>> single font on my system is not a valid font. I tried putting "View" in the
>> section with "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FONTVIEW.EXE" in the "Application to perform
>> action" box, but it still gives me the "invalid font" error.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks for your input,
>>
>> Kit

will open the message if your computer is MS compat.

The entries were the standard file associations for .ttf and ttffile
http://www.uscricket.com
"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%231j5VpkCFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> | "" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
> | >No. I checked they weren't using the web reader. This IS a binary group.
> |
> | Every binary group has "binaries" in its name.
> |
> | I don't know what you mean by "they", but inividual.net, a
> | respected news server, stripped off your attachments because this
> | is not a binary group. (If it were, individual.net wouldn't carry
> | it.)
> |
> | I would have liked to see those registry entries, but of course
> | you're under no obligation to post them in readable fashion.
>

> Stan,

> shows attachments in Microsoft Outlook Express

Kit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

I browse to my C:\Windows\Fonts folder; I click on any font file there and get this
message "The requested file was not a valid font file."

I used to be able to view the fonts with FontView. When I got my new computer, every
time I click on a font, not only did FontView open but the print panel opened as
well. When I tried to change the commands in the folder options, I lost the ability
to see OR print.

Thanks for your input,

Kit

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:estGalnCFHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
What exactly do you do (eg click this then click that)? Use the names displayed on
the screen (the folder says "Fonts").

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> David, I tried both of these and I'm still getting the "not a valid font" message.
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kit
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uAo96HbCFHA.2620@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Here are the default registry entries for ttf files.
> Attached.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Brand new computer here.........Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> When viewing a font, the print panel pops up. So, I went into folder
>> options/advanced and removed "Print". Well, then FontView
>> wouldn't work. So, I went back into options and browsed to FontView for the "open
>> with" command. Now it's telling me that every
>> single font on my system is not a valid font. I tried putting "View" in the
>> section with "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FONTVIEW.EXE" in the "Application to perform
>> action" box, but it still gives me the "invalid font" error.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks for your input,
>>
>> Kit

If File Types (in Folder Options) did you use Change (or Open With in the folder). If so you need to click Restore in File Types. Change/Open With supercedes File Associations for the open command.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:wjQMd.14908$i42.14095@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
>I browse to my C:\Windows\Fonts folder; I click on any font file there and get this
> message "The requested file was not a valid font file."
>
> I used to be able to view the fonts with FontView. When I got my new computer, every
> time I click on a font, not only did FontView open but the print panel opened as
> well. When I tried to change the commands in the folder options, I lost the ability
> to see OR print.
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> Kit
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:estGalnCFHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> What exactly do you do (eg click this then click that)? Use the names displayed on
> the screen (the folder says "Fonts").

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> David, I tried both of these and I'm still getting the "not a valid font" message.
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kit
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uAo96HbCFHA.2620@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Here are the default registry entries for ttf files.
>> Attached.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Kit" <kit@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Brand new computer here.........Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP SP2.
>>>
>>> When viewing a font, the print panel pops up. So, I went into folder
>>> options/advanced and removed "Print". Well, then FontView
>>> wouldn't work. So, I went back into options and browsed to FontView for the "open
>>> with" command. Now it's telling me that every
>>> single font on my system is not a valid font. I tried putting "View" in the
>>> section with "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FONTVIEW.EXE" in the "Application to perform
>>> action" box, but it still gives me the "invalid font" error.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input,
>>>
>>> Kit

Kit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

WOO HOO!!! And a big ole SMOOCH!!! I clicked Restore at the General tab and then at
the File Type tab, I clicked set default so that "Open" was at the top of the list of
actions.

Thanks so much,

Kit