Complete noob here! Looking for some build help.

I've recently been looking into building a new desktop. It's mostly for gaming, with a budget of ~650.
This is what I have so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/a0W8

Any and all advice would be welcome as to what I can change to make it more optimal for a gaming experience. I would also need to use WiFi on the computer as the router is too far away for me to connect to it through a wired connection, would it be better to get a PCI WiFi card or just use a usb WiFi adapter? Last thing! I live near a Microcenter, and they're running a deal right now on the i5-2500k, so it's $30 dollars less than in the markup through my link.

Once again, thanks in advance, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum!

Edit: I'm a bad poster.

Approximate Purchase Date: End of this week - Sometime next week

Budget Range: $650-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Editing pictures/videos

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't really have one

Parts Preferences: No real preferences here

Overclocking: Not in the near future.

SLI or Crossfire: Not in the near future

Monitor Resolution: Probably 1920x1200
10 answers Last reply
More about complete noob here build help
  1. I would get a 6870 (#1 GPU for price performance ive heard)
  2. ^ +1
  3. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    ^ +1

What does that mean? lol Ive seen it everywhere
  4. It means I agree.
  5. Looks pretty good to me on your budget you did a good job bud!
  6. Just a idea i will throw out there since you mentioned gaming was most important

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive ($17.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $678.92
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-12 23:29 EDT-0400)
  7. Is the idea behind swapping out the i5 for an i3 to free up budget space for the 7850? Rather, if I looked to upgrade sometime in the future, would it be worth it upgrading the CPU? (not the near future, as it would be redundant to not just save up until I have the funds for it.)
  8. Alternative psu, its quality is about the same as a rosewill hive/ocz zs review wise

the combo deal you need

@above, the i3 should be able to run everything, except cpu intensive or not optimized games like bf3. if you don't play bf3, than an i3 will cover just about everything worth mentioning. (hence why i have an i3-2120(for now) and a 7850 rather than like a 3570k + a 6850 or something)
  9. Alright, Thanks a lot. I think I'll be sticking with the build that bigcyco1 put up. Thanks a lot everyone for all your help!
  10. Get the zalman z9 case
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product