Sign in with
Your question

What do you guys think is the reason my moms pc is crashing?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2012 2:45:25 AM

Ok my mom sent her pc(an HP a6519fh but i added an 8500gt and did not upgrade the psu) to me to fix it,she told me that she could only use it for about 30 min,before it would crash to the point she would have to use the power button,now since i have gotten it,i left it running at idle while i went out to eat,i came back an hour later and it was turned off,but other than that i have not been able to test with her game she had on it,cause she still has the disks and she is out of town lol,i got HWMonitor to keep an eye on the temps,cpu is fine(room temp to 45C ),but the GPU is idling at 65-68C,and one benchmark run of furmark got the gpu up to 90C in about a min, i checked the fans are running,i downloaded MSI afterburner to turn up the fan speed,and it had no effect(it did nothing to the fan speed lol)
I tried to run the burn in test just to see how hot it would get,and right after i started it i started seeing artifacts so i turned it off and shut down.

After that i installed a copy of MW2(i know the pc can play it)and tried to play,so i could see what happens under gaming load,and it would start but as soon as i get into a map i keep getting directx errors,also when i get back to the desktop,i see an error saying the "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

Do you guy think it could all be just a driver issue? Or do you guy think the video card is dying?Or is it what my grandpa thinks might be wrong, the fact that running a video card on the stock 250w psu has mabye degraded the psu over time,and is mabye causing the problems?

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: also keep in mind that during these test i have been running i have not been able to recreate the crashes my mom told me about.

More about : guys reason moms crashing

June 13, 2012 3:33:11 AM

I would upgrade the PSU to a good QL 350W min

If your still having problems, try to reseat the GPU, do a clean install of the Drivers for the GPU.

m
l
June 13, 2012 3:49:05 AM

Niklas_13 said:
I would upgrade the PSU to a good QL 350W min

If your still having problems, try to reseat the GPU, do a clean install of the Drivers for the GPU.

I don't want to buy a new psu unless it bad,but i do have to extra pc's with psu's i could barrow,which would better to use? one psu is a SPARKLE 400W the other is LOGISYS 480w.
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 4:06:25 AM

The one that's handy, the GPU with the PC need a 350W min PSU
m
l
June 13, 2012 5:33:01 AM

Niklas_13 said:
The one that's handy, the GPU with the PC need a 350W min PSU

OK i have installed the 480w psu,i was able to run furmark,and it got up to 93c but no artifacts,and mw2 worked,BUT randomly the screen would go black for a 2-3 seconds,i then installed the drivers,and now furmark won't run i get this error"the nvidia opengl driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows timeout limit and is unable to continue. the application must close."

And mw2 won't start either,the screen goes black when i start it,and then i have to ctrl+alt+del to fix it.
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:58:44 AM

You need to do a clean install of the driver ( Remove all old GPU driver first ) Then look for the new driver for your GPU.

If you have problems removing the old drivers ( you can try driver sweep ) becarfly not to uninstall any chipset drivers for your MOBO .

m
l
June 13, 2012 5:16:25 PM

Niklas_13 said:
You need to do a clean install of the driver ( Remove all old GPU driver first ) Then look for the new driver for your GPU.

If you have problems removing the old drivers ( you can try driver sweep ) becarfly not to uninstall any chipset drivers for your MOBO .

Oki did a Clean install of the drivers,and furmark works,but it is still getting up to 90c,mw2 also was able to start,but it did something it was doing before,the game will lag then the screen goes black for 3 seconds.i was in the game mabye all of 2 minutes and the gpu got up to 82c.

EDIT: i have a 7900gs 256mb lying around should i try it and see how it runs?
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:11:15 PM

Yeah try the other card if the problem goes away, then you know its the GPU going bad....

Gpus run hot 90C is not crazy hot for a GPU. You could try to put a fan by the GPU to cool it off.
m
l
June 13, 2012 8:27:49 PM

Niklas_13 said:
Yeah try the other card if the problem goes away, then you know its the GPU going bad....

Gpus run hot 90C is not crazy hot for a GPU. You could try to put a fan by the GPU to cool it off.

Ok i installed the card 7900GS and it idles at 60c,furmark works,but this gpu got up to 93c,and the main i am worried about the temps,is that i have run both cards a while back in a different pc with better specs,and they never got this hot.

Mw2 worked great was a little laggy at first,but then i relised some settings were on in game that the card did not like,the it worked perfectly.

I retested the 8500gt just in case,and it did the same thing as before.

So i am guessing i should be looking a new video card for my mom?

EDIT: also do you have any suggestions for a new video card?
I would use the 7900gs but i need it for another pc,and i would pefer to be able still use the stock 250w PSU,cause i also need it for another pc.
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:12:30 PM

Whats your budget for a GPU and what uses ? and your system Specs ?
m
l
June 14, 2012 4:13:53 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Whats your budget for a GPU and what uses ? and your system Specs ?

Ok the most i can spend on fixing this is $100 much more and it is not worth it lol,my mom uses her pc to listin music,watch dvds,and play some games here is a list of them lol:
the sims 2
age of empires 1&2
Age of mythology
diablo 2,
command & conquer 3
dragon age: origins
DDO
civ 4
warcraft 2

also i am planing on getting her a copy of D3 for christmas.

Also idk if this will help cement that the video card is going out,is i turned on the pc and left it on while i went to work for 5 hours,and when i got back the screen was black with a purple tint,and it did not respond to the mouse or keyboard(i think this is the problem my mom was talking about).

EDIT:i forgot the specs lol:
HP desktop with a intel pentium dual core e2180 @ 2ghz OEM motherboard,3gb of ddr2 667mhz ram,stock bestec 250w PSU,and it does have a PCI-E slot,also she is using a 1080p screen.
m
l
June 14, 2012 6:26:07 AM

Did this happen with the new PSU ? or the old 250W ?

You might want to dlload Memtest and check to make sure the RAM is good, run it for about 4 to 6 hour it will check the memory.

What rez monitor does she have ( and is the budget for a GPU ? or GPU PSU ?
m
l
June 14, 2012 6:50:57 AM

it happened with both psu's also,i will try to run mom test,but last time i ran it,with the 8500gt, in less than 20 min i was getting artifacts on the screen,should i try the memtest but use the card i had no problems with?

Also she will be using a 22in LG 1920x1080p screen,and $100 is the budget for parts to be put into it.,if i have to i can give her the 400w or 480w,because that would mean i would have to buy myself another one down the road,but only if we can't find one good enough that will work with the old 250w.

I ram a mom test with the 7900GS and no problemsand them i left the pc running for a few hours while i slept,and it is still running fine.

EDIT: i am now 100% sure the video card is going bad,cause 3 of the 4 capacitors on the card are blown lol.
m
l
!