Does XP have a Text-to-Speech feature?

I'm using XP Home and MS Word 2000 on the desktop; XP Home and MS Word
XP on my laptop. Is there a text-to-speech feature in either of them?
I'd like my computer to read Word documents to me.

Thanks.

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net
6 answers Last reply
More about does text speech feature

    "<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote:

    >I'm using XP Home and MS Word 2000 on the desktop; XP Home and MS Word
    >XP on my laptop. Is there a text-to-speech feature in either of them?

    Windows XP comes with the Narrator. You can find more information in
    Help & Support.

    --
    (tm)

    I found the Narrator and tried it -- but it doesn't read Word
    documents. Any other options? Any good programs that I could buy?

    <*((((><{
    Fishy@Ocean.Net

    "<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote in message
    | I found the Narrator and tried it -- but it doesn't read Word
    | documents. Any other options? Any good programs that I could buy?

    Google, for God's sake.

    Hi,

    If Speech is installed on your system there will be an icon for it in the
    control panel.

    Andy

    > I'm using XP Home and MS Word 2000 on the desktop; XP Home and MS Word
    > XP on my laptop. Is there a text-to-speech feature in either of them?
    > I'd like my computer to read Word documents to me.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > <*((((><{
    > Fishy@Ocean.Net

    OK. There's a Speech icon in the Control Panel. It's set to
    "Microsoft Sam" -- ahem. But the only thing I can get Speech to do is
    read the dialog boxes, by using Narrator.

    How can I have the computer read my Word documents to me?

    <*((((><{
    Fishy@Ocean.Net

    In the last exciting episode on Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:06:00 GMT, "Andrew
    Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    |Hi,
    |
    |If Speech is installed on your system there will be an icon for it in the
    |control panel.
    |
    |Andy

    |"<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote in message
    |> I'm using XP Home and MS Word 2000 on the desktop; XP Home and MS Word
    |> XP on my laptop. Is there a text-to-speech feature in either of them?
    |> I'd like my computer to read Word documents to me.
    |>
    |> Thanks.
    |>
    |> <*((((><{
    |> Fishy@Ocean.Net

    Hi,

    Google for a free proggy called "speakonia" it will read anything you copy
    to the clipboard ;)

    Andy

    > OK. There's a Speech icon in the Control Panel. It's set to
    > "Microsoft Sam" -- ahem. But the only thing I can get Speech to do is
    > read the dialog boxes, by using Narrator.
    >
    > How can I have the computer read my Word documents to me?
    >
    > <*((((><{
    > Fishy@Ocean.Net
    >

    > In the last exciting episode on Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:06:00 GMT, "Andrew
    > Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > |Hi,
    > |
    > |If Speech is installed on your system there will be an icon for it in the
    > |control panel.
    > |
    > |Andy
    > |
    > |"<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote in message
    > |> I'm using XP Home and MS Word 2000 on the desktop; XP Home and MS Word
    > |> XP on my laptop. Is there a text-to-speech feature in either of them?
    > |> I'd like my computer to read Word documents to me.
    > |>
    > |> Thanks.
    > |>
    > |> <*((((><{
    > |> Fishy@Ocean.Net

Configuration Microsoft Word Microsoft Customization Windows XP