A10-5800k xfired w/ 2GB 6670 vs. i3 3220 w/ 7770

Waitforit

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

In terms of CPU side only, would the i3 beat the A10?

Waitforit

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I can't really decide right now which components to use for my new budget build.

So, do you think the i3 w/ 7770 be better in terms of graphics and CPU performance?

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Even if you do add a 6670 to the A10, it will still be worse than the i3 with the 7770. There was a comparison on this with benchmarks on another website. I don't know if overclocking changes that because the 7770 did really well compared to the crossfire A10.

To this day most "modern" game still do not benefit from a quad core. And the 5800K is not a "true" quad core. Its a Trinity based APU which means its 2 modules/4 threads. A "true" quad core is something like a 2500K or a Phenom II 965.

As for OCing, true but then again it takes a good board and a person who is skilled in OCing to do it right. You can easily change the multiplier but then you have to try to get the best voltage, monitor temps and run multiple stress tests including normal use to verify its stable.

And no, you cannot hybrid CF Trinity with a HD7750. A HD7750 is GCN, Trinity is VLIW4 (aka the HD6K series GPU arch).

Per the benchmarks I saw, it was overall better with the A10 winning a few. But in terms of GPU power, the HD7770 is betetr than the A10 CFX with the HD6670. But then the cost of a i3-3220 is the same as the A10-5800K (per Newegg) and it would overall mean the i3 is a better choice setup.

And more VRAM is never a bad idea. Games, when done right, will need it. Especially with the higher resolutions and multi-monitor setups that are much more affordable. MP3 alone uses tons of VRAM when maxed out at 1920x1080p (about 2GB) and at 2560x1600 its somewhear near 6GB of VRAM is needed.

Thats a single case but the higher the res (including eyefinity), the more VRAM thats needed so having a bit extra when its not much more in cost is not a bad idea.

2 gb of ram when used with crossfire with the APU gives nothing. The APU is limited to 512mb and the GPU is forced to use not much more than that. So using a APU with a 2gb card for crossfire is pointless.

From what I seen the 5800k is just as fast as the i3 at stock and should overtake it with OC. The difference between the 2 is pretty much nonexistent when pared with a 7770.

As I said, in some areas the A10 is better but overall the i3 is a betetr CPU, singlethreaded especially since it has a stronger core arch..

And sure, with a OC it will but let us also look at the stock clock speeds. The 13 is at 3.3GHz while the A10 is at 3.8GHz.

It might just be me but to have a 500MHz clock advantage and a better version, much better, of SMT yet still not ovberall better than the competitor without an overclock just makes me wonder why would anyone buy it? As well with that higher clock speed comes more power consumption and overclocking adds more.

Plus you have to also consider that the OP might not want to overclock which would make it a null point.

OP could also not care about power consumption as much as he cares about overclock, the difference in money saved would be in the order of 5 cents a month unless he folds with his machine. Comparing clock speeds between 2 completely different architecture is pointless.

Not when it shows the efficiency of the arch. If it takes more MHz to do the same job, it typically means iot will also take more power and generate more heat.

As I said, its probably just me in that respect but it wasn't in the Athlon 64/P4 days.

Either way at stoick speeds the i3 is more efficient and a bit better performance wise.

The i3 isn't better performance than the 5800k. I would say they are tied unless you go into specifics. Higher clock speeds do not always mean higher heat compared to a lower clock speed, the power consumption advantages of the i3 comes mostly from the advance manufacturing process intel has. A 5800k at 3.8 ghz draws the same power as a 3870k at 3ghz on the same process. The architecture can be designed to accommodate higher clock speeds even in regards to heat and power consumption.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

At the end of the day, if he gets the i3 he is basically not really missing out on any performance compared to the a10, AND he could potentially upgrade to a 3570k down the road.

What could he upgrade to if he got the 5800k?

the next 2 generation of AMD APUs are set in the same sockets. He can also overclock for about 10% more performance without needing to spend more money. All it comes down to is if he cares more about power consumption or overclocking. Neither of which is extremely significant.

Regor245

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The i3-3220 and 7770!

50409.png

In multi threaded, the overclocked 5800k (4 core) is not far away from the i3 (2c/ht).

50408.png

4.4ghz it loses to against a pentium dual core which is only running at 2.9ghz.

hardasrock

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
^^ still the 5800k is a better multi-threaded apu than the pentium. And while the pentium is better on a single threaded, that's only ".1", difference which isn't noticeable. AMD will also use the FM2 boards for there next 2 generation APU's and as far as I know, when Intel release haswell, it will use different socket.

twelve25

Distinguished
IMO, if you are planning on running a discrete graphics card, then don't get an AMD APU. They are really designed as an excellent solution for those with lower powered, budget builds to use with the onboard graphics CPU. And they are excellent for that. I mean if you compare intel's solution, you'd need a $90-100 Pentium G800 series and a $60-70 GPU to match what AMD gives you in the single A8 or A10 processor for $80-110.

Once you move up a notch to higher end graphics, then really you aren't in APU territory anymore and that platform will hold you back. You'll get worse performance with a A10 and a discrete card than you will an i3 and a discrete card.

Regor245

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

yeah only .1 but the pentium is only running at 2.9ghz vs 4.4ghz (1.5ghz difference) ^

pentium is running as high as you can make it run and so is the A10. I don't see how the difference in clock speed matter in a comparison of performance.

This I will believe when I see it mainly because it depends on the cahges to the CPU/GPU core. There is no 100% gurantee that the board anyone buys today for FM2/1155/AM3+ will support the next CPU, even if they use the same pin count.

SO for the purposes of the OP, the only guranteed upgrade he can get is on 1155 if he ever wants to go to a quad core. Since we have very sparse information on the next CPU beyond Trinity (which can change, i.e. BD which changed a lot fro the original idea) we don't have that same 100%.

This is true but again it shows the cores efficiency. Of course that is already know, Intels arch is much more efficient per core than AMDs.

Of course its also interesting how that was the major A64 platform, lower clock speed and lower power consumption meant a better CPU.

As for the "higher clock speed doesn't always mean higher power consumption, it normally does:

50410.png

Idle its great, just like most modern CPUs. But under load:

50411.png

And compared to the older Llano APUs, it uses the same but I assume its mostly due to the change from VLIW5 to VLIW4, less SUs but same or better performance. I would also assume some of it is CPU, probably some tweakes to the arch from PD but I haven't seen a test where they disable the IGP and test just the CPUs power consumption vs Llano.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
This answers your primary question

Since the i3 3220 is a superior processor (overall) pairing it with a Radeon HD 7770 would leave an A10-5800K + 6670 in the dust.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/amd-trinity-a10-5800k-review/14/

Slide17.jpg

Slide16.jpg

Slide15.jpg

Slide18.jpg

Slide19.jpg