Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Budget PSU

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 8:31:22 AM

Which of these, or another around that price,is best?
Corsair Builders series 430w
Be Quiet Pure Power L7 430w
OCZ CoreXStream 500w
Xigmatek Tauro 500w

More about : budget psu

October 13, 2012 8:37:14 AM

Corsair

Cant comment on prices you didnt post any. Whats it powering?
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 8:38:58 AM

a 7850. They're £35
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 8:53:12 AM

Those are all low budget barley acceptable power supply's however the corsair Builders series 430w will do but i recommend Rosewill Capstone 450W or Antec Neo Eco 520C
October 13, 2012 9:07:11 AM

allanitomwesh said:
a 7850. They're £35

Definitely Corsair

The Xigmatek and Be quiet aren't worth considering, that particular OCZ I cant find any reviews on as it's at the bottom of their product list I would avoid it until its been tested by a reputable site while their current ZT, ZS and Fatl1ty series are good units this one may be totally unrelated in manufacture.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 9:17:27 AM

2665401,7,1119689 said:
You need to research things mate that or you have crazily high standards (in that a perfect 9 score from johnny guru is not enough for you).

Review of the Corsair

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...[/quotemsg lol had two die on me and i been building since 1996 so i don't need to do any research i said it's a barley acceptable low budget power supply which it is ;) 
October 13, 2012 9:25:00 AM

Saying you don't need to do any research is tantamount to claiming you know everything which isn't a good attitude. As I doubt you have tested every PSU on the market, if you have not tested every PSU on the market not looking at reviews means you are talking with little basis.

No offence but I'll take a johnnyguru review over guy on internet with no solid data but an opinion any day.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 9:42:36 AM

wr6133 said:
Saying you don't need to do any research is tantamount to claiming you know everything which isn't a good attitude. As I doubt you have tested every PSU on the market, if you have not tested every PSU on the market not looking at reviews means you are talking with little basis.

No offence but I'll take a johnnyguru review over guy on internet with no solid data but an opinion any day.
I do not know it all never said that.However i do know i had two die on me i do not need to read a review to know if a PSU is good or not i am not saying its bad i said its a budget barley acceptable PSU i do not care you will take johnny guru review over what i said that is your right doesn't matter to me bud. ;)  no offense i think you need to learn about how to know if a power supply is good or not without looking at a review.
October 13, 2012 10:03:03 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I do not know it all never said that.However i do know i had two die on me i do not need to read a review to know if a PSU is good or not i am not saying its bad i said its a budget barley acceptable PSU i do not care you will take johnny guru review over what i said that is your right doesn't matter to me bud. ;)  no offense i think you need to learn about how to know if a power supply is good or not without looking at a review.

Without looking at a review or having tested every model in question you actually can't know if it's bad (barring the obvious generic crappy ones) if you use the "force" or something to judge a PSU I pity your clients. If you really have had 2 fail on you I would think you're very unlucky as its a well recieved and reviewed unit, reviewed as well as your suggestions to the OP that cost alot more when he is clearly on a budget.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 10:16:32 AM

wr6133 said:
Without looking at a review or having tested every model in question you actually can't know if it's bad (barring the obvious generic crappy ones) if you use the "force" or something to judge a PSU I pity your clients. If you really have had 2 fail on you I would think you're very unlucky as its a well recieved and reviewed unit, reviewed as well as your suggestions to the OP that cost would cost him alot more when he is clearly on a budget.

OP o.k. let me try to briefly explain to you about how to pick PSU i apologize for being short with you but i must go to bed as i half to get up early. As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.

Power Supplies that are certified 80 PLUS have been independently tested for their efficiency. Now, there are 6 different 80 PLUS certifications, depending on how efficient the power supply is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

80 Plus test type 115V internal non-redundant 230V internal redundant
Fraction of rated load 10% 20% 50% 100% 10% 20% 50% 100%
80 Plus 80% 80% 80%
80 Plus Bronze 82% 85% 82% 81% 85% 81%
80 Plus Silver 85% 88% 85% 85% 89% 85%
80 Plus Gold 87% 90% 87% 88% 92% 88%
80 Plus Platinum 90% 92% 89% 90% 94% 91%
80 Plus Titanium 90% 94% 96% 91%

The 80 PLUS and higher certifications are the way to go when you are looking for an efficient power supply.

Do not trust specifications such as “Efficiency: 80% to 85% Efficiency Typical” that are not 80PLUS certified. 80 PLUS is an independent standard test. No 80 PLUS and “Efficiency: 80% to 85% Efficiency Typical” means that it is 80% to 85% efficient, according to the manufacturer that is, using their own in-house test, which may or may not so much represent real efficiency. Now that you are armed with some basic knowledge, you might want to make up your own mind about which one to buy. Most websites, and indeed most so-called PSU reviewers lack the knowledge and the equipment to test power supplies correctly though. So where do you turn for expert reviews instead of asking on random forums that let people who don't know what their talking about give advice regarding power supplies?
Here are the top 2 websites that review PSUs
http://www.hardocp.com/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

If you'd like to know who manufactures a certain power supply, here are some charts and instructions that you can use to look it up:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op...

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Eggxpert Tiered Power Supply List
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/...

@wr6133 Just give it a rest i careless of anything you're saying stop wasting mine and your time.I do not like to argue about things i know. It's not i think i know it all stop putting words in my mouth and making stuff up assuming things about me you don't know me
You have a right to your opinion as do i never once did i say that PSU would not work i am giving him recommendations based on personnel experience and never once did i say he could not get one of those he is inquiring about and the xfx i recommended him is not allot of money skimping on your power supply is never a smart idea IMHO you're trying to start a fight and suggest i do not know what i am talking about i am not biting on your bs btw nor does your opinion mean anything to me.Thanks but no thanks i kindly pass save it i am not interested.There are some very basic things in life i have come to learn everybody makes mistakes nobody is perfect it's important to learn from your mistakes and not repeat them you must learn life is to short to sweat the petty things and never doubt yourself. "Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."Please mind your own business and i will do the same in return :hello: 

a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 1:36:47 PM

Woah there people!
I'd like to stay under £40 if at all possible.
Now,bigcyco all your recommended psu 's are 50 quid + I'm sure they're capable, but £40 after I buy the card for £160
Can't seem to find the rosewill,perhaps a link?

Core i3 2120
H61 mobo
2gb ram
500gb storage
A 280w psu

I've gotten a 750gb harddisk (need the storage) and a second 2gb stick of ram. So now all that's left is the best card I can run and enough power to run it, 2 hard disks,2 sticks of ram and a core i3.
Cheaper is ofcourse better,I was considering a 1gb card cause £200 is already stretching it.

Best solution

a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 1:54:31 PM

I wasn't able to find it in your area sorry i found this though it's built by seasonic & 80 Plus Bronze http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/novatech/xfx-power-supply-p1...
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 2:01:40 PM

Because of your budget you can not get any better than the XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition or Corsair CX that i am aware of sorry
October 13, 2012 2:02:36 PM

I've gone with the cheapest 80+ PSU I could find with 500watts to give me an upgrade path. That is the FSP HEXA 500W 80+. They are way cheaper than Corsair and others and still put up with 80+ quality.
October 13, 2012 2:08:05 PM

Quote:
Please mind your own business and i will do the same in return

For the record I think your pillock who when called out on the corsair being highly reviewed made up a story about 2 failing on him. That or you're impossibly unlucky/built so many thousand units with that 1 PSU you came across the fail rate inherant in any product. You advise people you're making your "business" public so expect to be called out on things you can't quantify and others see as bad advice, to be honest if you dont like that you shouldn't be in a public forum

bigcyco1 said:
I wasn't able to find in in your area sorry i found this though it's built by seasonic & 80 Plus Bronze http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/novatech/xfx-power-supply-p1...

I agree with him buy that its a good unit (and one thats lately been harder to find/gone up in price at some places). It's better than anything linked in the OP

*EDIT*

OP you won't find rosewill in the UK
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 2:23:18 PM

Okay so the xfx is the way to go,is the fsp any better?I know their Aurum Gold line is boss, perhaps it rubbed off?
October 13, 2012 2:33:21 PM

The XFX unit is produced by seasonic so you are buying a seasonic PSU there (i.e. a good one)
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 2:53:40 PM

Okay then. Should I have a smooth time with the 7850 Msi Twin Frozr III or will the psu get noisy?
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 3:43:41 PM

wr6133 said:
Quote:
Please mind your own business and i will do the same in return

For the record I think your pillock who when called out on the corsair being highly reviewed made up a story about 2 failing on him. That or you're impossibly unlucky/built so many thousand units with that 1 PSU you came across the fail rate inherant in any product. You advise people you're making your "business" public so expect to be called out on things you can't quantify and others see as bad advice, to be honest if you dont like that you shouldn't be in a public forum

I agree with him buy that its a good unit (and one thats lately been harder to find/gone up in price at some places). It's better than anything linked in the OP

*EDIT*

OP you won't find rosewill in the UK
Why would i make something up about two of those die on me what benefit do i get by making this up :??:  And again you don't know me if you did you know it's not in my nature to do such things! :pfff: 
October 13, 2012 3:57:18 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Why would i make something up about two of those die on me what benefit do i get by making this up :??:  And again you don't know me if you did you know it's not in my nature to do such things! :pfff: 

Well least we agree the OP should get the XFX you found
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 4:00:42 PM

No it's not a nuke :D 
Thanks alot wr6133,bigcyco1,and richardgal.
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 4:02:45 PM

Best answer selected by allanitomwesh.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 13, 2012 8:39:46 PM

Your very welcome mate!
!