Computer Completely Shuts Off

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Hey guys. So, I've recently been playing a lot of GW2 and I've run into the problem where my computer will completely shut off after a few hours or so of playing. I've been reading online and from what I can guess, it's my PSU, but I'm not sure how to do the math to figure out if it's got enough juice for my card to begin with. Just from looking at my specs, any ideas?

Specs:
Dioblotek EVO (http://www.microcenter.com/product/351733/EVO_Mid_Tower_ATX_Computer_Case)
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE
GTX 560 Ti AMP! Edition
16 GBs of HyperX Blu Kingston (4x4gbs)
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 motherboard
KINGWIN ABT-650MM 650W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121084)
1 TP-Link wireless card and a generic DVD R/W drive
I've also got about 6 case fans hooked up, all pretty generic 120mm fans.

If it isn't my PSU, what is it? I mean, I just dusted it all out not a week ago when this first happened.

Side note:
I built this in the middle of the summer and it never did anything like this when I pushed it through its paces with games like AC:Brotherhood, Arma 2 (DayZ mod), and so on. The first occurrence was last week, and then just about half an hour ago. Otherwise, the computer runs fine.

Solution
If I were you, for peace of mind, provided you could afford, a Corsair or Seasonic ~ 600W should future proof you for some time to come... but you'd get away with a quality unit at a lower wattage meantime.

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
So it's a confirmed PSU problem, or what?

And I'd like to monitor them, but it's kinda hard to play and keep an eye on those. I guess I'll try it later. Just keep coretemp and gpu-z or afterburner up. I'm like, almost 99% sure it isn't my cpu or gpu, as the computer would just restart. I'm talking a complete shutdown, like everything goes black shutdown.

Overheating can cause shutdown, but your PSU is probably on a few 'avoid' lists. What are your Rail volts like? ()12V, 5V, 3.3V)

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
I have no idea how to figure that out. When I was buying my PSU my dad kept saying i didn't need super expensive one and to just get something that works, against my gut instinct. I have no idea how to figure out 12 rails, amps, voltage and all of that. I literally have no idea, because I've forgotten most of the equations from physics in high school.

In a nut shell, what am I looking for in the specs page of PSUs? (Also, thinking about upgrading to a gtx 660 ti. If that's gonna change a lot, let me know.)

Speccy quite good at monitoring Volts and Temps.
http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.html
If any of the 3 main voltages are substantially below value it may indicate a PSU prob.Any of the following seem be recommended on Tom's
Corsair, Antec,Zalman,Seasonic.
Suggest you open a thread on CPU & Components, list your specs and get advice on best PSU for your rig/budget. I imagine you're safe enough at 550W...(No substantial diference in your proposed GPU wattage)

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
I have speccy installed from some game trouble shooting a while ago (updated it) but what voltages am I looking for in speccy? Just the ones under motherboard, or am I missing something?

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Well, idk if you'd be able to believe me or not, but I don't have those three listed there. I have all the other values, but those 3...

This is what I do have
CPU CORE 1.440 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.840 V
AVCC 3.376 V
3VCC 3.360 V
VIN4 1.448 V
VIN5 1.720 V
VIN6 0.696 V

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012

That's actually very useful. I also flushed out the other options completely and ended up with 600 Watts. I'm thinking I might go with a antec 620 HCG M series that was recommended to me. But in your opinion, should I do it now, or later on when this PSU starts to fail out for sure?

actually, problem. Out of curiousity i threw in the gtx 660ti and it bumped up to 650watts. Think I should start looking for another PSU again?

Best not condemn your Kingwin just yet, actually some on Tom's seem to quite like it. The Asus calculator does go a little over the top on the GPU wattage calculations. Check this out
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/493743.aspx
If anything the 660 ti less power hungry according to this guy!
Probably wise to see if you can find fault with the rail volts before you condemn the PSU, shame you can't borrow a spare to try instead before spending money...

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
well, even with the over the top gpu recommendations, would i be good with a 620 watt psu (or a 520, which someone on here recommended)? and I'd love to test with a spare, but I don't have one sadly.