Hotshot19

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I will be doing mostly gaming, is it worth the extra 100$ to go for the i7? Maybe I should go with SB over IB? I plan to over clock, was hoping 4.8 on IB custom WC loop. Or would a 5.0 SB on WC loop be better? Or wait for Haswell?

Solution
G

USB 3.0 is also on sandy boards (the 6 series) you can get a ivy board ( the 7 series) with a sandy cpu; so no difference there.

PCI 3.0 will only have an advantage in a high end mulit cards set up where a little bandwidth head room seems to be needed. but for most any other instance the extra bandwidth of PCI 3.0 is not needed nor increases the performance noticeably.
There is no such thing as a guarantee OC of hitting that high stable anyway it's a gamble on rather or not you get a solid OC chip there, no way to assure this that i am aware of however all i5-2500k that i have ever bought or did builds for others with were able to do 4.5ghz and ivy is not good for high overclocking it runs to hot but still worth considering because of the reasons mentioned above

G

what are you doing?

gaming, the i5 and sandy=ivy because you can compensate for the ~7% increase by overclocking the sandy higher while still maintaining good temps.

video editing/rendering, the i7 and sandy<ivy because you cannot compensate the 15%+ performance difference by overclocking the sandy higher.

just my opinion though.

jordie240991

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
no games on the market that i am aware of uses hyper threading so go for the 3570k

if you will be using programs such as sony vegas, adobe after effects, live streaming whilst playing a game, heavy multi tasking then go for the i7.

Both overclock great and there is only a very small difference in gaming between the 2

G

USB 3.0 is also on sandy boards (the 6 series) you can get a ivy board ( the 7 series) with a sandy cpu; so no difference there.

PCI 3.0 will only have an advantage in a high end mulit cards set up where a little bandwidth head room seems to be needed. but for most any other instance the extra bandwidth of PCI 3.0 is not needed nor increases the performance noticeably.

Solution

Hotshot19

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

So, I wouldn't be able to OC a ivy i5 too 4.5 on a custom water cooled loop without having heat issues?

G

AFAIK from what little i have read is haswell is more focused on the igpu than the cpu arch. it is expected to be a 7-15% increase, similar to the last generations, but nothing outstanding.

i overlooked you saying you mostly game when i mentioned the i7 in my post before. an i5 will handle streaming while playing very well.