Need help choosing a new CPU cooler + voltages and temps help

G

Hey everyone.

So, I just built myself a desktop, but the aftermarket CPU cooler I got (CM V6GT) ended up being too big of a cooler for my case, and the stock CPU cooler didn't come with the proper mounting brackets, so now I'm stuck having to buy another aftermarket CPU cooler.

My motherboard is an MSI 970A G46 AM3+ motherboard.
My CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 125W 3.4GHz CPU.
My case is a Cooler Master K350 mid-ATX case (though, it's kinda-of small for a mid-ATX case.)

Here are the CPU coolers I was looking at (I don't know if any of these coolers will fit onto my motherboard, so maybe you guys can tell me)
- Cooler Master Hyper 101A for AMD Socket
- Cooler Master Vortex Plus CPU Cooler for Intel Socket LGA1366/1156/775 and AMD Socket AM3/AM2/940
- Zalman CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler 2 Ball Bearing 4Pin for Intel Socket 2011/1156/1366/775 & AMD Socket AM3/AM2+/AM2
- Zalman CNPS10X Quiet CPU Cooler 2 Ball Bearing 3Pin for Intel Socket 1156/1366/775 & AMD AM3/AM2+/AM2
- Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Cooler

Are any of these CPU coolers good enough to cool my X4 965 BE (preferably at around 35-40 degrees celsius???)
Which CPU cooler is the best out of this list?

Again, I have no idea if any of these are going to fit onto my motherboard, so if any of them can't, please let me know. I literally CAN'T afford to screw this up.

EDIT

Okay, so I guess my next questions are:

What are safe idle and max temperatures for an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ stock 3.4GHz? The general consensus seems to be about 38-40 degrees celsius at idle, and 54-58 degrees celsius at max load, going no higher than 60-62 degrees celsius. Is that about right do you think, or am I way off?

Also, I've also done a bit of research on safe voltages for an X4 965 BE at stock speeds, and the general consensus seems to be 1.3-1.37v, going no higher than 1.4v (1.4v being quite unsafe, unless max temperatures are 55 degrees celsius or lower.) Am I about right, or am I way off?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Check your case measurements for clearance (max height it can take) if it can fit put a Coolermaster TX-3 in there (similar to the 101a but better) or an Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro (when I moved my Phenom II X6 to a smaller case thats the cooler i managed to fit in). 35-40 at load is not going to happen but under a 212 my Phenom stayed mid to upper 50's at load @ 4GHz, the freezer 7 manages similar temps at 3.8GHz

If it has to be from that list then I would take the 101A and add a 2nd fan to it for push/pull config

G

Are you talking about this Arctic Cooling CPU cooler?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

I think the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro might actually fit, but you're saying that the Hyper 101A is the best cooler out of the list?

Okay, so... what if I don't get a second fan for the Hyper 101A? Will the CPU still stay cool do you think? How cool do you think my X4 would it stay at (idle/max) if I have the Hyper 101A installed with just the one fan? Does the Hyper 101A even come close to comparing to the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro in terms of cooling performance? I don't care one tiny little bit about noise levels. I care about keeping my CPU cool, and that's it.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
According to this the 101 is actually better than the freezer http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-101-CPU-Cooler-Review/1224/6

I learn something everyday I always thought it was slightly unde (infact seeing that I may get one to replace the old freezer).

I can't predict your temps mate and anyone who does is guessing it relies on alot of factors but as you can see in the link above it should be cooler than the freezer.... so it will allow you to have a decent stab at overclocking and maintain a decent temp

G

Yeah, for a $16 cooler, it seems to actually do a pretty good job, however, I'm definitely going to do some more research before buying, but at least this gives me an idea of what coolers to consider and such.

G

Okay, so what about the motherboard and its mounting spots? It's an AM3+ motherboard... Will the Freezer 7 and the Hyper 101 mount properly onto my motherboard (MSI 970A-G46??)

G

Okay, so I guess my next questions are:

What are safe idle and max temperatures for an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ stock 3.4GHz? The general consensus seems to be about 38-40 degrees celsius at idle, and 54-58 degrees celsius at max load, going no higher than 60-62 degrees celsius. Is that about right do you think, or am I way off?

Also, I've also done a bit of research on safe voltages for an X4 965 BE at stock speeds, and the general consensus seems to be 1.3-1.37v, going no higher than 1.4v (1.4v being quite unsafe, unless max temperatures are 55 degrees celsius or lower.) Am I about right, or am I way off?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Your figures are in the correct ballpark. Ideally (or at least I did) when overclocking the Phenom II you want the stress tested temp to be below 60. Idle temps can vary on lots of factors but you quote the right area.

Voltage depends on the chip and how hard you want to push it, if you get lucky you won't need to go past 1.4 but people have/do take them to 1.5+ (not recommended)