Sign in with
Your question

PC does not post - CPU issue?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2012 12:19:31 PM

Hello,
I recently (read: yesterday) upgraded my GPU, PSU and got a new case. The building process went fine. Later, when checking if it boots, I got no video output - like, completely nothing. So far, I've tried:
Reseating the GPU, using the integrated one, trying my old one;
Trying my old PSU, same thing;
And finally, I removed the CPU. I was surprised when I did that - there were some bent pins and some were completely missing. This has led me to believe that that's the issue.
I did have a problem like this last summer after cleaning my PC, but the local repair guys fixed the pins, and everything was running fine.
My specs:
Asus M2N68-LA (Narra3) motherboard;
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ CPU;
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 GPU; (old one - Gigabyte GeForce 210)
be quiet! Pure Power BQT L8-CM-530W PSU (old one - no-name 300W PSU)
4GB of DDR2 RAM and
Enermax Ostrog for the case (old one - generic HP Pavilion case).
Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

More about : post cpu issue

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2012 12:27:41 PM

Follow these steps http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

but yeah, bent pins are normally a bad sign. I'm not sure if why it was working before you replaced the parts, why it wouldn't be working afterwards and you didn't remove the cpu prior to replacing the parts, that it would have been the cpu.

In my opinion, may as well buy a new mobo and cpu and ram to complete the upgrade.
October 13, 2012 12:34:02 PM

That's what I would do normally, but I'm short on money right now, so I've left the second part of the upgrade for 2013.
Anyway, so would replacing the CPU work? I just found a guy who's selling a 5200+ for quite cheap.
Edit: Oh, and I've done the troubleshooting thing; no help :( 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2012 2:13:57 PM

I'd replace the cpu. At least it's one of the troubleshooting steps I would take. Just make sure there are no broken off pins in the cpu socket.
October 18, 2012 7:11:01 PM

So there isn't a single decent AM2 CPU here (the last one was a scam). So instead I found a bundle for sale. ASRock G41M-VS3, some DDR3 RAM and the Intel Celeron D 820 CPU. So what I'd like to know is:
Is the 820 better or worse than my old CPU (Athlon 5000+)? Looking at raw data, I'd say it's better, but that's just plain numbers.
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:34:11 PM

LT403F said:
So there isn't a single decent AM2 CPU here (the last one was a scam). So instead I found a bundle for sale. ASRock G41M-VS3, some DDR3 RAM and the Intel Celeron D 820 CPU. So what I'd like to know is:
Is the 820 better or worse than my old CPU (Athlon 5000+)? Looking at raw data, I'd say it's better, but that's just plain numbers.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Pe...

Worse by quite a bit. that's not really an upgrade, unless you want to replace the processor
October 19, 2012 11:19:23 AM

Then how about the e8400? I heard (a while back, actually) that it can reach 4GHz while remaining stable.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2012 11:22:10 AM

So can the newer Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge chips. Why look at a chip that is no longer supported?
October 19, 2012 11:55:22 AM

It's cheaper - that's all.
October 19, 2012 12:37:43 PM

Turns out I won't be getting anything! The repair guy called - said he managed to fix the pins! Hovewer, that wasn't the only problem - turns out the RAM was broken too (my MB does not have a beeper - damn HP!). I should get it back on Monday or a bit later. Thanks for the help!
Also, how do I mark the best answer here? I can't see a button anywhere.
!