Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best PC video editing/rendering (Adobe CS5/6 Master+3dStudioMax

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 13, 2012 7:49:40 AM

Hello,

Country = US ( FL)
Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

I am looking to buy a new workstation (Intel or AMD with windows7) for 3D & motion graphics work and want to run the list of components (e.g. After Effects CS6, Adobe Premiere CS5, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Final Cut Studio, 3D Studio MAX, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, ) for a best combination for workstation. It won’t be used for any gaming.

I’m also interested in possibly overclocking the cpu slightly, for that little extra kick in performance. I have never overclocked anything, and don’t have a clue about it. Any help in that department would also be very appreciated. I’m not looking for the highest overclock possible, but rather a noticeable speed boost, but ultimately a really stable system.

Any opinions, suggestions for list of hardware details and pricing. (budget USD 1000 to 1500)

I look forward to your suggestible answer.

Syed
June 13, 2012 9:10:38 AM

I recently did a build for someone in a similar situation so the parts that I would recommend are:

CPU= Intel i7-3770k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-NVIDIA-Mother...

Case= Antec P280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD=Western Digital Caviar 1TB blue or black
http://www.clarkkentcomputers.com/western-digital-cavia...

SSD= Samsung 128GB SATA3 ssd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU=Bliss 600watt psu
http://www.clarkkentcomputers.com/bliss-6001000w-power-...

GPU=GeForce GTX 670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM= G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

total price $1561

i did what i could to stay in budget but i went slightly over, shipping and exchange rate needs to also be added to that figure, there are some things that you could probably shave some cost off the price with things like a i7-600k instead or a different case.

good luck with your build
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 13, 2012 11:21:24 AM

somerandomjedi said:
I recently did a build for someone in a similar situation so the parts that I would recommend are:

CPU= Intel i7-3770k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-NVIDIA-Mother...

Case= Antec P280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD=Western Digital Caviar 1TB blue or black
http://www.clarkkentcomputers.com/western-digital-cavia...

SSD= Samsung 128GB SATA3 ssd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU=Bliss 600watt psu
http://www.clarkkentcomputers.com/bliss-6001000w-power-...

GPU=GeForce GTX 670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM= G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

total price $1561

i did what i could to stay in budget but i went slightly over, shipping and exchange rate needs to also be added to that figure, there are some things that you could probably shave some cost off the price with things like a i7-600k instead or a different case.

good luck with your build


I would suggest this build, with some changes.

HDD: For a dedicated editing rig, you will want more than 1TB of storage, and more than one storage device. One for storing the OS and programs (The SSD), one for holding raw footage, Misc stuff (2TB) and another for stuff to be rendered to (1TB). The HDD should be 7200RPM for best performance, so Western Digital Caviar Blacks or Seagate Barracuda's (make sure there the 64MB cache versions)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: Since you are only clocking the CPU lightly, no need for something big like water cooling. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will do fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: Since this is not a gaming rig, you will definitely not need such an extravagant card in there. A HD7850/7870 will do fine and cost less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: I dont like the look of that unit and have never heard of it before. I would stick with something more well known. The one I'm suggesting isn't the greatest brand, but its the cheapest 650W, modular power supply with 80+ Bronze certification I can find. OCZ ZT Series 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The case is personal preference, I don't like cases with doors or its subdued aesthetic, but that may appeal to you. It should be fine if you get it, no problems there.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 12:41:41 PM

Quote:
thanks for publish such a great and colorful blog..
online shopping
i like it very much..must say,very innovative ideas of your and its great implementation..
employment
.thank u again for publish it.


unrelated topic, new account, broken links, similar messages across threads and bad English/grammar skills
I suspect some kind of spambot or scammer if the links worked.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 12:44:59 PM

Thanks Manofchalk, its worthful changes... i like the combination which u suggested and as far "Case" I am also don't like cases with the doors... I will prefer any simple and cheap one.


manofchalk said:
I would suggest this build, with some changes.

HDD: For a dedicated editing rig, you will want more than 1TB of storage, and more than one storage device. One for storing the OS and programs (The SSD), one for holding raw footage, Misc stuff (2TB) and another for stuff to be rendered to (1TB). The HDD should be 7200RPM for best performance, so Western Digital Caviar Blacks or Seagate Barracuda's (make sure there the 64MB cache versions)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: Since you are only clocking the CPU lightly, no need for something big like water cooling. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will do fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: Since this is not a gaming rig, you will definitely not need such an extravagant card in there. A HD7850/7870 will do fine and cost less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: I dont like the look of that unit and have never heard of it before. I would stick with something more well known. The one I'm suggesting isn't the greatest brand, but its the cheapest 650W, modular power supply with 80+ Bronze certification I can find. OCZ ZT Series 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The case is personal preference, I don't like cases with doors or its subdued aesthetic, but that may appeal to you. It should be fine if you get it, no problems there.

m
0
l
June 13, 2012 12:54:10 PM

imageologist said:
"Case" I am also don't like cases with the doors... I will prefer any simple and cheap one.


OK then, I would suggest this case, the HAF-XM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only $10 more and modelled off one of the best cases in the market, the HAF-X. Its very good, Coolermaster have a good reputation for making great chassis (as they are technically called).

Review on HAF-XM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SM4EVGaXek

And another review.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_haf_xm/
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 2:23:00 PM

AFAIK 3D Studio Max 2013 now can use CUDA for rendering, so i would keep the geforce 760 ...
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 2:25:19 PM

I ment the geforce 670
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 2:26:27 PM

Geforce 760? Did you mean the 670? Even if you did... The 7970 is far faster in OpenCL than the 670 is in CUDA, so its a moot point.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 3:22:21 PM

blazorthon said:
Geforce 760? Did you mean the 670? Even if you did... The 7970 is far faster in OpenCL than the 670 is in CUDA, so its a moot point.



I did mean the 670.

3D Studio Max uses only CUDA, not OpenCL, thats why i'm recommending the 670, rendering caustics and GI in 3D Studio Max takes forever, if his using CPU only ...
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 3:41:31 PM

MrUlmo said:
I did mean the 670.

3D Studio Max uses only CUDA, not OpenCL, thats why i'm recommending the 670, rendering caustics and GI in 3D Studio Max takes forever, if his using CPU only ...


3D studio Max also supports Direct 3D and OpenGL, if I remember correctly, both of which are supported by the much faster 7970.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 3:55:28 PM

blazorthon said:
3D studio Max also supports Direct 3D and OpenGL, if I remember correctly, both of which are supported by the much faster 7970.


Thats just for accelerating the interface/viewports, not for rendering :sol: 
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 4:02:57 PM

MrUlmo said:
Thats just for accelerating the interface/viewports, not for rendering :sol: 


Well, darn. That leaves faster Tahiti cards as not an option for 3DS Max strictly because they aren't supporting them. At least Maya supports them.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 10:57:51 PM

Quote:
I would suggest this build, with some changes.

HDD: For a dedicated editing rig, you will want more than 1TB of storage, and more than one storage device. One for storing the OS and programs (The SSD), one for holding raw footage, Misc stuff (2TB) and another for stuff to be rendered to (1TB). The HDD should be 7200RPM for best performance, so Western Digital Caviar Blacks or Seagate Barracuda's (make sure there the 64MB cache versions)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822148840
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822148834

CPU Cooler: Since you are only clocking the CPU lightly, no need for something big like water cooling. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will do fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835103099

GPU: Since this is not a gaming rig, you will definitely not need such an extravagant card in there. A HD7850/7870 will do fine and cost less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125419

PSU: I dont like the look of that unit and have never heard of it before. I would stick with something more well known. The one I'm suggesting isn't the greatest brand, but its the cheapest 650W, modular power supply with 80+ Bronze certification I can find. OCZ ZT Series 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341051

The case is personal preference, I don't like cases with doors or its subdued aesthetic, but that may appeal to you. It should be fine if you get it, no problems there.


i had similar thoughts i was trying to stay in a very small budget. the last build i did had 2 4TB raids but that was going so out of budget, so i went with a smaller HDD

CPU: cooler can't argue with simply cause i forgot to add one.

GPU: this is interesting cause i have heard conflicting reports as to which one is the best, so i choose one that would do the job and allow a bit for a bit of graphics grunt if needed for anything.

PSU: can't argue there other than while they are less know i have been working with bliss PSU's for ages and they almost never fail.

case: I recommended that case as it is not very loud and is not overly flashy since it was a work machine, but the case does not affect performance so it is down to the user.
m
0
l
!