Solved

Will Flight Simulator X run very well on AMD FX-8150?

I know there's an update for FSX where it changes the coding or something so the game can take advantage of multi-core processors, and I see that the FX-8150 has 8 cores. Would this mean the 8150 CPU could play FSX as well as an i5? I was going to go after the i5 but with the 8150 coming down in price, it's tempting...

Oh and the graphics card I am planning on getting is either a GTX 460 or 560.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will flight simulator 8150
  1. Anybody? :/
  2. I am certain it will run well.

Of the cards the GTX 560 is the better option.
  3. Do you really think so? I just hear all kinds of bad things about AMD...I know they can't be as bad as people say. Intel outsells them 5 to 1 which is probably the reason Intel has so many "Fanboys". I have narrowed my CPU choices down to two:

-FX-8150
    -i5-3570k

And we all know that Intel's CPU fans suck, but I hear AMD's are at least half decent. So if I got the i5, I'd have to pay another 20 bucks on a Hyper 212 cooler versus just $169.99 for an okay CPU and a workable cooler.

I just don't like spending lots of money! :pfff:
  4. Best answer
    The CPU's all game and this I know because I have many AMD systems including a FX8150. That said for gaming the i5 is generally quicker.

Even if you get the FX 8150 I would add a cooler to it, or better yet buy the 8120 and add a cooler, then again AMD vishera based chips are out in the coming week which makes more sense to buy.
  5. I aggree with sarinaide - i5 has a better efficiency in tasks that don't take an advantage of multiple cores, therefore it should be also better for gaming. Fx-8150 is not much cheaper and actually it's considerably faster only in some rendering programs like LuxRender.
    In the case of games, you probably won't see a big difference since the framerate is mainly dependent on GPU (if the CPU is fine ofc) and there is not a big difference between these 2 CPUs. I assume the fps may vary no more than 10% between those 2 CPUs.
  6. I've been doing a little research and found out there is a Micro Center near Chicago (3.5 hour drive from home) and they sell i5-2500k's for $159.99!!! And they take $50 off your choice of 3 motherboards!!! :D That is a freaking awesome deal! :bounce: So now I need to somehow convince my parents to drive me there sometime! LOL
  7. Take this i5 without hesitation :)
  8. ozzman1997 said:
    I've been doing a little research and found out there is a Micro Center near Chicago (3.5 hour drive from home) and they sell i5-2500k's for $159.99!!! And they take $50 off your choice of 3 motherboards!!! :D That is a freaking awesome deal! :bounce: So now I need to somehow convince my parents to drive me there sometime! LOL

:o If you have the money, GO FOR IT!!! But if you don't, I'd save up a bit more and buy a FX-8350. And you could get a MoBo cheap too. THAT's A STEAL! I go by microcenter once or 2ce a year... next time I'm by there I'll make sure I pick up some parts! They got great deals! :D Too bad I don't have money right now... they have a good price on the i7-2700k
  9. My uncle was a private pilot and has a PC just for FS X.The game is very CPU dependant and doesnt use the graphic card a lot like most games.Also SLI in fact SLOWS it down !!!.Go for the I5 and overclock it.The patch helps with multiple cores but not a lot.
  10. Actually I just saw a deal on Newegg with the i5-3570k and an MSI Z77 mobo in a combo pack for $285 instead of the usual $350. I know the 2500k is great and all, but the money I could save at Microcenter probably would just buy me gas for the trip there and back. ;) If I lived by a big city, I'd go to MC for sure! I think the 3570k would suit me even better, especially with a Corsair H60 cooler running at 4.5 GHz. :) As for RAM, I'm going with 8 gigs (2x4gb) of G.Skill Sniper. What a monster of a machine this shall be!!! :sol:
  11. The FX-8150 will perform excellently with FSX, especially with a 560. The i5 will also perform admirably. Even though FSX can use multiple cores, it still isn't all that massively demanding.

Both options are solid.
  12. Best answer selected by ozzman1997.
  13. UPDATE--I just ordered a new i5 barebones PC for $516 off Newegg. Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-3570k
    Asus P8Z77-V LK
    8Gb Patriot Viper 1600
    Seagate 500GB HDD
    Geforce GT 430 (will upgrade later ;) )
    Corsair CX600 power supply
    Then I need to buy Windows...another 80 bucks. :??: Oh well.

It's gonna be a beast! :sol:
  14. Yeah that should be good enough, just update the GPU when you got funds and its a nice setup.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5